Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a lunchbox style locker for a dana 30 27 spline front axle. What price should he sell to me at considering that it is USED and I could get a brand new one for $300ish?

I am not sure of the brand.

He also installed my front ring and pinion and they just blew up. So considering that I paid him to do that. Whats a fair price? He was a Jeep dealership mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is doing the gears for free the second time around. I paid him the first time.

Cool thanks for the advice

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
He is doing the gears for free the second time around. I paid him the first time.

Cool thanks for the advice
Hes covering parts too right?

Just keep in mind that you can get a lunchbox from 250-450...if it were me though, I wouldnt pay over $150 from there. Any more than that, you might as well save a little more and buy a brand new one.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Brand is a big thing. spartans are like 210 new, aussies are like 300 new. I would pay max 150. Look at it and if it's in great shape go ahead. It's a very simple mechanical device and if worn will show obvious signs. feel free to post a pic up here.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Brand is a big thing. spartans are like 210 new, aussies are like 300 new. I would pay max 150. Look at it and if it's in great shape go ahead. It's a very simple mechanical device and if worn will show obvious signs. feel free to post a pic up here.
Really? 210 for a spartan? Most of them I have seen are closer to the $350 mark with the cross pin included. Do they sell it without? Still don't see it being that close to the 210 mark...unless there is a big sale on them.

Aussies new run closer to $250 from what I've seen :confused:

I second the obvious worn signs...if the springs and pins look worn/need replaced though, those are a cheap fix.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I haven't shopped for them in 2 years since I bought mine...

I know lock rights are around 210. I was under the impression spartans were down there too, and aussie's were like 290 when I got mine and direct was the only place as they were on back order.

I just checked and you are right, but I am completely blown away by that, because even a year ago they were around the 230-240 mark... I have 2 friends that bought spartans over aussies because they were a bit cheaper.

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I haven't shopped for them in 2 years since I bought mine...

I know lock rights are around 210. I was under the impression spartans were down there too, and aussie's were like 290 when I got mine and direct was the only place as they were on back order.

I just checked and you are right, but I am completely blown away by that, because even a year ago they were around the 230-240 mark... I have 2 friends that bought spartans over aussies because they were a bit cheaper.

I stand corrected.
You're good...I remember the prices you are talking about. I just recently re-learned prices from hanging out on sites more since building the race rig :eek: I just was hoping you may have found a secret place where they were all cheaper :rofl:

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
No, I just can't believe the prices have changed that much. I have no reason to know the prices now so I hadn't really kept up and I never expect that much of a change. Spartan must be doing good for themselves.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I paid $275 2 months ago...most places on line were $299. If they r his, and he did install, I would assume he would give it to u and install it for free. Thats what I would do for a "friend." Gl
Troy

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so this guy that installed my gears for me is a complete idiot. Usually I do not hate on people But he's an idiot. he put shims in-between my yoke and my pinion seal to "take up" the "play" of my pinion. AKA he didn't CRUSH the crush sleeve.

and he didnt even shim my carrier.

He also told me bc i have 488s that I would go through a set of gears maybe once a year. And he also has a lot of play in his pinion because of rock crawling. I also had to teach him how to install the locker as well.

This guy was supposed to be a dodge/chrysler/jeep master mechanic.

So after this guy left I had to actually crush the crush sleeve which took the play out of the pinion and shim my carrier so that I had .004 of play.

I had to replace the ring gear and pinion less than 2,000 miles bc he installed them.

people...i dont like them. the ones that lie.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Why didnt you just do them in the first place then? Sounds like a mess lol.
Very few are up to doing their own R&P installations. I have all the tools required & have been inside my axles many times but I won't install my own gears. Not even many "good" mechanics" with many years of experience know enough about setting up new R&P gears to install them.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
The guy I wheel with nearly every trip taught himself how to and did his own d30 3 years ago. We have wheeled tons of places and blown many other parts of that axle apart, but the R/P are fine. The difficulty of installing gears isn't in question here. To me it sounds like the OP crushed the sleeve himself and then set his carrier shims, apparently doing the rest of the process, checking the patterns etc himself. He basically finished the gears himself. If he knew how to do this, why have some guy who screwed him over once do them again? That is my only question. He seems to know how to do it, at least from what I am reading in his post.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy I wheel with nearly every trip taught himself how to and did his own d30 3 years ago. We have wheeled tons of places and blown many other parts of that axle apart, but the R/P are fine. The difficulty of installing gears isn't in question here. To me it sounds like the OP crushed the sleeve himself and then set his carrier shims, apparently doing the rest of the process, checking the patterns etc himself. He basically finished the gears himself. If he knew how to do this, why have some guy who screwed him over once do them again? That is my only question. He seems to know how to do it, at least from what I am reading in his post.
i didn't know what i was doing. the "mechanic" did everything... supposedly... now that I know what I'm doing compared to what I did know. he didn't crush the sleeve at all... The 3rd time around I installed my R&P.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts