Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, So my dad has gotten bitten by the bug since I've had my Jeep. A good friend of his is looking to sell his Jeep for a new one. It's a 2006 Rubicon AT, with 98000 miles on it. It was stolen two years ago and has an R title. Everything is in good shape. What would be a fair price? I've looked on KBB and Edmunds but that doesn't factor in the R title. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
The "R" on the title is an outlier. I don't know if NADA takes into account "R" titles. It's worth a look on their website.

My daughter bought a Cherokee from her uncle (my brother in law). He owns a body shop and builds totals as a side income. I approved the sale without even looking at the Jeep because I know my brother in law does good safe work. At that time she was recently divorced and needed a good 4WD vehicle. She used the Cherokee for many years and gave it to her daughter. A couple years later, the Jeep got rear ended and totalled (for the second time) and my granddaughter took the money and kept the Jeep for another year or two. Finally a major component went out (probably from lack of maintenance) and she sold the car for parts.

If that's your plan for the TJR, and you're sure it's a solid vehicle I say go for it. You should be able to buy a stock vehicle with a "R" or "branded title" for less than NADA wholesale price (or a whole lot less than KBB wholesale price).
How much less depends on your negotiating skills, how nice the Jeep is and how bad you want it.
1995 & 1996 automatic TJs have a known problem with the PCM and how it relates to the automatic transmission. It appears that WranglerFix has come up with a solution. If it weren't for that solution, I'd advise you to look for an older Wrangler.

If your dad plans on buying the Jeep and doesn't plan on using it until it's used up, he might have problems selling it to someone that doesn't know Wranglers. Even then, the buyer will want a substantial discount for the "R" title, just as your dad should want a substantial discount when he buys it. Since the Jeep is a recovered theft, I'd make sure it has the D44 axles and whatever else a thief might want from a TJ Rubicon. Just because your dad might trust his friend, doesn't mean he can trust his friends mechanic or his friends insurance company.
Other than the above, normal used vehicle buying practices should apply.

Other posters probably have other suggestions or experiences.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Luckymac, do you mean 2005 and 2006?

I'll let him know what to look for if I'm not there to look at it. I believe it was wrecked shortly after it was stolen. Not enough time to pull anything from it. He is using it to go back and forth to work (3 blocks) and offroading with me. He is a cabinet/furniture maker and the sawdust is ruinging his 2017 Tundra. He will either use it till it dies or I'll take it off his hands when that time comes. It will receive a lift, and mods that him and I will work on together. We've always wanted a project to do together automobile wise. It was always going to be an old Camaro or Mustang but the prices were never where we wanted them.

In a prior life he used to be in sales and can sell ice to an eskimo, he's good. I have no doubt he will get a good deal. Between his "Friend" discount and the "R" title I'm thinking he will get into it for what he wants. Just wanted to grab some opinions. Everything I see online is take trade in price and take off 20%.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
@Luckymac, do you mean 2005 and 2006?
Yep, that's what I meant to type. Thanks for clarifying that.
1995 is still a YJ and there (supposedly) never was a 1996 Wrangler.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
$6500 tops with that title and history. I personally wouldn't touch it.

Reactions: TJMAXX and gsindela

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
That’s a tough one. If it’s a good friend and he trusts them, then have him ask what they’d take for it. If they’re not looking to screw him over and won’t mind seeing him afterwards, they should offer him a fair price. I’d look at the NADA/KBB value and start at 25% less. If their offer is in that neighborhood it may be OK.

FYI - my dad bought a car from a neighbor/friend. It turned out to be a disaster and they’re no longer friends, just neighbors.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
2006 automatic is a no no. Start having pcm problems and you had wished you had never seen it. I would never buy a vehicle that had been stolen. I can only imagine what the thiefs put it through...

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The PCM problems have a fix now. Getting a lot of good reviews too now that mileage is adding up. Wranglerfix.

I'd be hesitant to buy a vehicle that has been stolen, though depending on what happened, you could be saving a ton of money. Low resale though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The PCM problems have a fix now. Getting a lot of good reviews too now that mileage is adding up. Wranglerfix.

I'd be hesitant to buy a vehicle that has been stolen, though depending on what happened, you could be saving a ton of money. Low resale though.
X2....no need to avoid ‘05/06’s because of the past PCM issues. Wrangler Fix has solved the problem for a very fair price.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'll give him $5,000 for it. No questions asked. :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Getting full coverage insurance could be an issue with the rebuilt title. BUT, since it does have a rebuilt title, that leads me to believe that he bought it back from the insurance once it was recovered. a Rubicon like you have described without the rebuilt title would probably run $10-14K, the rebuilt title will roughly cut the price in half for all of the reasons listed above, but mostly because of not being able to get full coverage insurance or a loan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure about a R title... but if it's any help, I just bought a 2006 JL hardtop with 55k for 18,000
Yep it was a lot but the truck looks virtually brand new. With a new pcm, trans, radiator brand new duratracks. The super clean ones are starting to get good money now.

Again a R title I would check it out as others have pointed out
Good luck with the purchase

1 - 12 of 12 Posts