Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Jeep world. This weekend I stopped every Sahara or Rubicon Unlimited owner I saw and they all loved their Jeeps. I am looking to order a 2016 Metallic Granite Rubicon or Sahara. I plan to use the vehicle primarily this way. 1 mile commute to my office each day or 100 mile Treks about once a week to a ranch property where I am on "ranch roads", often pulling a 3000 lb boat and trailer. I believe the max tow load is 3500 with the tow package? Most I have talked to have suggested the Sahara as they feel the Rubicon beats you up for an every day driver. I see a lot more Rubicons in Dallas and something about the Rubicon that just sounds better.

Here are my questions:

1) Rubicon or Sahara?
2) How much should I expect to pay in relation to Invoice?
3) I plan to upgrade the wheels, 35 inch tires and lift it 4 inches. What brand and models do you recommend? Remember I do not plan to rock crawl, but will use around town and quite a bit off road, but not aggressively.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are planning on lifting it and running 35's (or higher) you may want to look at the Rubicon just to get the 4.10 gears. While there are plenty of people that run 35's on the 3.73 (which comes standard on the Sahara), it's recommended to have the 4.10's...which is an option on a Rubicon with an auto transmission and standard on a manual transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Crash. I had heard that before and is great advise. Are most guys running 18 or 20 inch wheels on 35's? The consensus seems to be Mikey Thompson wheels with a 5/5 2016 Rubicon/Sahara bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
If you are planning on lifting it and running 35's (or higher) you may want to look at the Rubicon just to get the 4.10 gears. While there are plenty of people that run 35's on the 3.73 (which comes standard on the Sahara), it's recommended to have the 4.10's...which is an option on a Rubicon with an auto transmission and standard on a manual transmission.
Since when?

As for the Op. Saharas are quite capable. You may not need or want a Rubicon. IF you get the Sahara the 3.73 gears are an option whether a stand alone or part of the Max Tow which in that case just check mark the gears and get a hitch from Qtec.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think I fit your category!! I run a 70th Anv. Ed which is a Sahara auto with 3.73 gears, 33's on a 2.5" lift and pull a 3200 lb boat. We do rock climb on occasion but I'm not aggressive at it. It's a DD and the drive is all comfort. The 70th Anv. Ed came with every option available. It's a compromise Jeep I know...Looks aggressive...all the comforts of a Cad...pulls OK (not great) with wheels/tires that don't dart. Wish it had lockers but I really haven't needed them. It fits me. That's what great about Jeeps. You can own one that fits your lifestyle.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think I fit your category!! I run a 70th Anv. Ed which is a Sahara auto with 3.73 gears, 33's on a 2.5" lift and pull a 3200 lb boat. We do rock climb on occasion but I'm not aggressive at it. It's a DD and the drive is all comfort. The 70th Anv. Ed came with every option available. It's a compromise Jeep I know...Looks aggressive...all the comforts of a Cad...pulls OK (not great) with wheels/tires that don't dart. Wish it had lockers but I really haven't needed them. It fits me. That's what great about Jeeps. You can own one that fits your lifestyle.
its a night and day difference having the 3.8 instead of the 3.6 that are in the 2012+ jeeps....the 3.8 0-60 is like 12 sec and the 2012+ 3.6 is 6.6-7.1sec.....i have 35s and 373 with the 3.6 and i dont see what gains i would get going to 4.10 or 4.56....im in flat indiana thats low elevation with the lightest weight 35s (duratracs) though. I love the way my jeep rides

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP...go test drive a few and go from there. youll know whats right when its right
Test drove both the Sahara and Rubicon. Did not feel much difference. Seems like a see lot more Rubicons that Sahara. I think the Sahara is suppose to give a smoother ride, but not sure when you put a 2.5 lift with 35's. :pullinghair:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts