Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im planning on painting my YJ in the near future, but want to prime it first. Im looking for that flat black primer that i saw somewhere that I thought looked pretty cool. Can I get this kind of primer anywhere? And, if so, is it recommended I do it myself? P.s., I do plan on painting over the primer eventually...probably in the springtime. I plan on repainting her white(original color). Just so you know, thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes, you can get that primer at any autopaint supply store.....check your local yellow pages.

Painting a car is not hard if you have the tools, time & don't rush things. But it's also easy to totally jack up the end results if you don't know what you are doing.

In my book, the most cost-effective alternative is to do all the prep, sanding & assembly work yourself...and farm out the actual spraying to a professional w/ the right tools & space for the job.

Many small operators will work w/ you on price and may have major savings thru the use of excess paint from previous projects that closely mimic the color you want for your rig.

Something else to consider: not all primers are compatible w/ all finish paints. Best to decide on a type/brand/style of final paint before you slather the whole jeep in the wrong primer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
FWIW, primer really shouldn't be used for topcoat...meaning it shouldn't really be exposed to the elements. It is designed to be topcoated within a certain amount of time...

Not sure if you are going teh rattle can route or not...but they do make flat black paint nowadays. Basically to give that flat or satin black finish like they started doing on the hotrods.

You'd be better off painting white base over a grey primer anyhow...but it could be done if you really wanted to over black. White is pretty opaque so will provide good coverage...may just take an extra coat over black primer vs gray.

BTW sound advice there from Beachcruiser!

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
If I was you, I wouldn't prime it at all until you are ready to paint. Then (as already mentioned by the above knowledgable jeepers) get a primer that is similar to your color choice in paint. Gray is what most use when top coating with white. You want a slightly different color so you can see what you missed while painting... such as I personally wouldn't use flat black primer with a top coat of black. You would probably miss a few spots when painting. I would use gray and the missed spots would show up great.

Also primer has a way of rusting if not top coated right away. It is almost like it sucks up the water from the air. This would be further hampered by driving the vehicles through wet, winter weather.

Take care,

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also primer has a way of rusting if not top coated right away. It is almost like it sucks up the water from the air. This would be further hampered by driving the vehicles through wet, winter weather.
It's impossible to overstate this. Primer is porous, which is why finish coats stick to it so well. That same quality will trap moisture...creating the perfect rust environment.

What you may think is primer on slick rat rods, etc...it actually a finish black coat that has had 'flattening' agents added to give it the satin/flat black look, but still protect like regular paint.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
all the above is true..wait until you are ready to paint to prime it..if your paint is in good condition,especially factory paint then you need only prime any bad places with grey primer...then if you want it satin black you can buy top coat black with a flattening agent and hardener in it

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That satin/Flat black look

Yes, thats exactly the look I'm going for...Flat/Satin. Yet, it needs to be a protector as well. I understand that Primer itself is porous, hence its ability to mate with paint (top coat). I want to avoid any problems with moisture damaging the metal, i.e, RUST,etc., but that dull,satin, black primed look is what I'm after. When I'm ready to go I will remove the bumpers and accessories and re-paint them as well. Might as well wait and do the work all in one shot. Big question: I do not want or would even consider using "spray paint" for this...the bumpers ..maybe a nice wrinkle coat, but not on the body. I think I'll need to rent a compressor and spray gun to get the best results...any tips??? Whats the name of the primer top coat I'm looking for???

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
no,you do not want aerosol,it is too thin of a coat..most actual auto paints are good..you can find a better deal on the internet but if you need guidance I suggest that you go to an actual auto paint supply store and let them lead you..if you use single stage paint then you will want a hardener in it..with this paint you just spray it on and are done..it will look good but won't be spectacular..if you want show quality then go with a base coat/clear coat..with this you spray your color coat and then come back with a clear coat on top of that..I use a little more paint on my paint jobs than most paint shops do but since they are for me and I am not paying any labor that is cool..I just painted my wifes yj..used almost a gallon of color paint and put almost a gallon of cheap clear on top of that..it looks as good as any new car paint job but my wife is accustomed to seeing the high gloss,foot deep paint jobs that I put on the choppers I build so she is not satisfied..she just finished sanding over hers with 1000 grit and will probably tape it off today so that I can shoot probably a half gallon of high solids,high dollar clear on it to give it that foot deep look..I have a 91 yj that I am doing body work on now that I am considering painting satin black..I might just paint it with single stage but have also considered using black primer with a clear over that..I have to experiment some

1 - 9 of 9 Posts