Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_1785 (1024x765).jpg

I wanted 37's with my 4" lift and they just won’t fit. I’ve settled for 35's and now it's starting to eat at me. I don’t get why they wouldn’t fit. I see people putting 37's on smaller lifts with no issues.
This is what I have 2011 JKU Pro Comp 4" XRC bumpers front and rear. 35" Toyo
With the 37's installed and the jeep sitting on the floor the tires were less than a quarter inch from hitting the pinch. I was ready to beat/cut that out of the way but it still would hit on small bumps.

Here are my questions.
Can I change out the rear control arms to move the axle back away from the pinch?
Why does my 4" lift sitting next to a co-workers 2" lift measure out to be the same height at the tail light?
How do I know I actually got a 4" lift to begin with.
How can I fit 37's under my rig?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the wheel back spacing, they came on from the dealer.
All the LCA's came in the kit so Pro Comp. Only thing i changed was I added Fox reservoir shocks.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Can you get the part numbers off of the coils? If you are tail light to tail light with a 2" then something is amiss. Lifts are different but not by that much.

Bob K.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Most manufacturers have their part numbers on a decal/stamped/painted on the coils. I'd check for it and call 4wheelparts to confirm it's a 4" lift coil.

Bob K.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I suspect they didn't put a 4" lift on it. I have a 3.5" and can fit 37's easily. Currently run 35's and have tons of room in the wheel wells.

Could be a combo of issues though. If you are rubbing then may have the minimum amount of backspacing available for the JK.

-Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is the tire itself will hit the pinch seam. (even after modding) When it was just sitting (off the rack on level floor) the tire was almost hitting it. The rims are Pro Comps. Not sure if the backspacing would make a difference at the pinch seam

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
PLENTY of people running 37's. Your situation shouldn't be unique. I haven't run 37's before though so I don't know how much trimming should be done.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
when you say dont fit, what do you mean? theres clearly space there to put 37s if that picture is you with 35s. if its just hitting the pinch seam, look into trimming it. when you go to push back the axle with control arms, you run into a bunch of issues, the biggest being bowing the rear springs and needing to reseat them so they dont hit the track bar (and you will need lowers and uppers as well)

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I am running 37" MTRs on my JKU. 3.5" Rubicon Express lift. Added Teraflex bumpstop extensions on the rear, keeps the tires out of the fenders. Trimmed pinch seam and rock rails to tub edge. Fronts will stuff into fender if I run disconnected. Staying connected, no rubbing at all. Out wheelin' every other weekend. No issues. The backspacing will make no difference on the pinch seam. If it's close, it's close to the center (4.5" backspacing) or outer edge (6.5" stock backspacing) of the tire. I am thinking you do not have the 4" coils in there. That's why I think you need to get the numbers off them if you and verify the part numbers.

Bob K.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snek, plenty of room on the front. The backs were the problem. The pinch seam was almost hitting without doing any mods. If I cut/bend it out of the way it still didn’t look like enough room.
nwbronco, I'm thinking you may be right. I'm currently overseas right now and will be home soon. That's the first thing I'm going to check.

·
Registered
694 Posts
So in your first post you ask about changing out the rear arms. Are you to say your running a 4" lift on the stock arms? What brand lift do you have?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 3" lift on mine and had probably two inches between the tire and the rock rail prior to trimming it, it was definitely driveable but would rub on some larger bumps. After trimming, it now rubs on the back bumper so I have to change that out now :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Dave2011 said:
I wanted 37's with my 4" lift and they just won’t fit. I’ve settled for 35's and now it's starting to eat at me. I don’t get why they wouldn’t fit. I see people putting 37's on smaller lifts with no issues.
This is what I have 2011 JKU Pro Comp 4" XRC bumpers front and rear. 35" Toyo
With the 37's installed and the jeep sitting on the floor the tires were less than a quarter inch from hitting the pinch. I was ready to beat/cut that out of the way but it still would hit on small bumps.

Here are my questions.
Can I change out the rear control arms to move the axle back away from the pinch?
Why does my 4" lift sitting next to a co-workers 2" lift measure out to be the same height at the tail light?
How do I know I actually got a 4" lift to begin with.
How can I fit 37's under my rig?
I believe JKS makes a rear axle relocation kit. Its not bolt up and requires fabrication but it moves the axle rearward. You will also need a new driveshaft for the kit.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Unless you have adjustable upper and lower control arms, you will need to trim your rock rails (if it's a Rubicon) and cut then fold back the pinch seam. The higher lift coils only let it clear until you are almost at full bump on the rear, then it will hit. Avoid the clearance issues and trim away!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So in your first post you ask about changing out the rear arms. Are you to say your running a 4" lift on the stock arms? What brand lift do you have?
It's a Pro Comp 4" on the arms that come in the kit. I had the kit installed. Went back a week later to get 37's installed. I needed the time to measure how much room I had left on the garage door. Shop installed 37's and came and got me and said it won't work. Off the rack on the shop floor there was less than a 1/4 of space between the tire and the pinch seem. We talked about cutting and or bending it out of the way but it still would not have been enough room. They took the 37's off and I bought 35's instead. That's what's on it now.

I work out of the country and will be home soon onR&R for three weeks and gone again. nwbronco commented that the springs may have a part number on them, so that is my next step to see if they are 4" springs. I wish I had taken a few pics of the tires while they were installed. I went from grinning to very sad at the news they wouldn’t fit and didn’t think to snap a shot.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
This totally off topic but did you have to mod the XRC front to run 3 lights? If not I'm picking one up.

Now to play, I have a 3.5" lift and would be nervous about the pinch seam on 37s. Hell I'm nervous on 35s and I'm about to cut it. Were you going to regear or is it more for the look? I'm happy with my 35s in a 2012 auto but had to get past 37s which would require driveshafts, gears, etc.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I'm dubious you actually have a 4" lift.

Or maybe the back spacing in those wheels are inordinately high.

But I'm pretty sure a lot of guys on this forum run 37s under 4" of lift without a problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts