Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just wondering if anyone is running these tires.
i am getting my lift done and am finally upgrading to 33s

anyway anyone have any opinions on these

Pro comp extreme all terrains 33x12.50 r 17

Frank

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I have always thought pro comp tires are over priced. Also not sure how you can have an extreme all terrian tire.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
RUN RUN FAR AWAY from pro-comp. They are a re-branded tire. Check out Firestone AT's (aggressive tread style) Kumho makes a outstanding AT too I believe the number is the 78. BFG have gone down hill (now your really just buying the name) Goodyear duratrac's are among the favorites. Can I ask why not a full on M/T? Really the new MT/R with kevlar from goodyear is about the best tre on the market right now. It does well in everything. Last your 60k or so in miles if you rotate them correctly.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
I had them on a truck and sold them. They suck in mud. Go Duratracs.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Have Pro Comp Xterrains with over 12K miles on them with plenty left. Work well in the clay-mud we have around here.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Have Pro Comp Xterrains with over 12K miles on them with plenty left. Work well in the clay-mud we have around here.
The X-Terrains are a whole different animal than the Extreme ATs.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
I was more refuting the bad opinions about Pro Comp than commenting on the AT's.
Ah, gotcha. Reviews of the X Terrains and Extreme mud terrains I've read haven't really been that bad. And IIRC the Extreme ATs have like a 40K warranty. Pro rated of course, but still..

Probably not a bad tire for mostly street use and light trail.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Owned by, not made in the same place with the same rubber.
FWIW:

Thank you for your inquiry. All Pro Comp tires made by Cooper Tire &
Rubber Company are manufactured in the U.S.A.

Pro Comp tires are a private label tire marketed by Pro Comp. Please
direct any product or warranty related inquiries to Eileen
Chang/Director of Operations of Pro Comp Tire at 866-232-0665.

Carolyn, Consumer Quality Systems
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
FWIW:

Thank you for your inquiry. All Pro Comp tires made by Cooper Tire &
Rubber Company are manufactured in the U.S.A.

Pro Comp tires are a private label tire marketed by Pro Comp. Please
direct any product or warranty related inquiries to Eileen
Chang/Director of Operations of Pro Comp Tire at 866-232-0665.

Carolyn, Consumer Quality Systems
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company
BS, I will get a pic of the "Made in China" stamping on my buddies truck tonight and post it

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
if you go the AT route I am happy with my american prospector ATs. there not the best thing out there but there good enough for me and you cant beat the price

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have Pro Comp AT's and am really impressed by them. As said they aren't the best mud tire but to me that's great I HATE MUD! On the trail they throw loaf of bread size rocks and don't throw chunks of tire. They grab large rock and pull me over and are wide (Short for a 32x11.50x15 they fit my 2000 TJ without a lift) to take me through loose gravel where others have trouble. I see lots of very opinionated people whineing about things. It's why they sell Jeeps in different colors, to each his own. I like mine. And if they are Chinese rubber I guess they do better with rubber than they do with steel that they put in the Smittybuilt crap.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have Pro-Comp XTerrain in 325/60/R18s, and although I am no Mud Expert, the tires look aggressive and ride ok. We'll see just how far they go the distance in wearability. But when they need to be replaced, I am down-sizing from the 325s to something more practical to offset the poor gas mileage I am currently seeing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I looked at a lot of tires in 315/75/16 sizes and decided on the Xterrians for my 05 rubi. I didn't want Goodyears after the MTRs that came on the jeep were just about shot at 22,000 when I installed my RE LA lift kit, and damn noisy on the road. I just liked the look of the tread and the claim that they are quiet on the highway. After running a lot of the tough trails at the Moab EJS last spring I found they performed as good as any other tire brand and better than several others. They were easy to balance (Procomp 1079 wheels) and drive great on the highway at any speed up to 80 mph and pretty damn quiet for a heavy lug tire, much more quiet then the MTRs from the factory on the rubi. Got about 2,000 miles on them after a summer of 4-wheeling the Colorado trails this summer. I run 8-10 psi on the trail and around 20 on the highway, did run 25 psi on last trip home to see if they rolled easier ( better fuel mileage). Mileage seemed about the same as did performence. Every one has an opinion, be it lift kits or whatever. I'm very happy with my Xterrians so far.
Ron
PS, I've been in the truck and auto repair business for 40 years and we've sold every tire brand, ever made for cars thru semi trucks so we've seen what wears and performs and what doesn't.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
BS, I will get a pic of the "Made in China" stamping on my buddies truck tonight and post it
Sorry to disappoint you man, but I just checked my Pro Comp Xtreme AT's and they definitely said "Made in the USA". I'll post a pic larer, but I'm not sure you can read it. BTW... I'm happy with mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts