Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

first post here, but i have been acquiring knowledge by reading this forum almost daily since i'va got my 2012 jku.

Here's my problem, i hope you can help...

One stud simply broke off while i was driving, so i almost lost my rear driver side wheel...

Since the dealer wanted over 100$ to fix that and it is not under warranty, i bought a stud at NAPA for 3$ and decided i would
do the job myself.

The problem is that i am not able tu remove the rotor...

The rotor is moving (it is not rusted), but it looks like the handbrake is preventing the rotor to come off.

I tried hammering it with a 5 lbs hammer, and after a lot of work, it almost comme off but i was scared
that i won't be able to put it back on...

so i put the wheel back on, and went for a ride pulling the handbrake to try to loose it, but it had no effect at all.

The wheel spins freely when in neutral, so the handbrake is not partially on.

So do i need to adjuts my handbrake first?

Or hammering was the right way and i will be able to put the rotor back on when i will have replaced the broken stud?à

thanks very much for your help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

first post here, but i have been acquiring knowledge by reading this forum almost daily since i'va got my 2012 jku.

Here's my problem, i hope you can help...

One stud simply broke off while i was driving, so i almost lost my rear driver side wheel...

Since the dealer wanted over 100$ to fix that and it is not under warranty, i bought a stud at NAPA for 3$ and decided i would
do the job myself.

The problem is that i am not able tu remove the rotor...

The rotor is moving (it is not rusted), but it looks like the handbrake is preventing the rotor to come off.

I tried hammering it with a 5 lbs hammer, and after a lot of work, it almost comme off but i was scared
that i won't be able to put it back on...

so i put the wheel back on, and went for a ride pulling the handbrake to try to loose it, but it had no effect at all.

The wheel spins freely when in neutral, so the handbrake is not partially on.

So do i need to adjuts my handbrake first?

Or hammering was the right way and i will be able to put the rotor back on when i will have replaced the broken stud?à

thanks very much for your help
Every other MOPAR that I have owned they put these little retaining clips on the studs to hold the rotor on. You don't need them... I think they just help during mfg to keep them from falling off the car. Did you notice any of these? Sometimes they rust and blend into the center plate of the rotor. I typically just take a pair of pliers and bend them till they break off.

Otherwise... I've always just used a hammer and a piece of 2x4 to knock em off.

Not sure how the hand break would come into play here if you say the wheel is spinning freely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the backside of the dust shield there is a little rubber plug. You need to turn the adjuster to loosen the brake shoes that are inside of the rotor . To make sure you are going right way turn rotor to make sure it's not getting tighter . Then you can hit it with hammer should pop off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure to readjust the brake shoes so the parking brake will work again. The stud should just nock out with hammer. And can be pulled back in by putting some big washers on the stud with the lug nut. Then a good impact gun
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
They make break spoons to turn adjusters but a flat blade will work. You can see in hole with flashlight to fine the adjustment wheel
I have done a few of these and that's how I do it.
It takes a little bit to figure out how to make it turn but once you do it works great

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so thanks everyone, it worked!

I was able to turn the little ajuster so the rotor came off (with the help of a rubber hammer). I really think that this ajuster was preventing the rotor to pop off.

I then replace the broken stud and put everything back on.

But i will have to readjust the star wheel since i forgot to do it before putting the wheel back on the jeep... The parking brake seems to work well tough.

So thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts