Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 6 cylinder,

when i go to start the jeep*(the jeep would crank not start)*
when i would turn the key the maintenance light would come on,
but the check engine would not,
i some how figured out that if i left the key turned on for a while the check engine light would eventually flicker on and when it was a solid light, the jeep would start perfectly and run fine.
i could turn the jeep off and turn it back on with no problem, all day long but it would happen again if it sat for a while (hours) or over night.
when it was cold outside,it would take longer for the check engine light to come on.
hence taking the jeep longer to start.
All of a sudden, neither light comes on and the jeep wont start no matter how long i leave the key turned to the on position.

i have down different things to check problem, (plugs, plug wires, starter solenoid,checked fuses.)

now im stuck...

(someone told that the fuel pump might not be grounded, They also said the ground wire is behind the E Brake. or Brake release but i cant find it, if anyone had a picture of that spot, that may help me..)

any help would be great.. :confused::banghead:
Thank you.
-Vernon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump, really need help .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump.. /:

·
Registered
783 Posts
If you can, check for ignition voltage coming out of ignition switch or check the voltage to the relay if ther is one. This would rule out a bad ignition switch. Try this, holding switch in the starting position and wiggle it but not forcefully breaking the key. This too will will rule out the ignition switch. My neighbor recently had this problem with his car, mechanic said it was flooded fuel injectors. Everyone thought it was a broken timing belt. How he fixed it is beyond me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can, check for ignition voltage coming out of ignition switch or check the voltage to the relay if ther is one. This would rule out a bad ignition switch. Try this, holding switch in the starting position and wiggle it but not forcefully breaking the key. This too will will rule out the ignition switch. My neighbor recently had this problem with his car, mechanic said it was flooded fuel injectors. Everyone thought it was a broken timing belt. How he fixed it is beyond me.
okay thanks ill try that

·
Registered
474 Posts
97_wrangler said:
1991 6 cylinder,

when i go to start the jeep*(the jeep would crank not start)*
when i would turn the key the maintenance light would come on,
but the check engine would not,
i some how figured out that if i left the key turned on for a while the check engine light would eventually flicker on and when it was a solid light, the jeep would start perfectly and run fine.
i could turn the jeep off and turn it back on with no problem, all day long but it would happen again if it sat for a while (hours) or over night.
when it was cold outside,it would take longer for the check engine light to come on.
hence taking the jeep longer to start.
All of a sudden, neither light comes on and the jeep wont start no matter how long i leave the key turned to the on position.

i have down different things to check problem, (plugs, plug wires, starter solenoid,checked fuses.)

now im stuck...

(someone told that the fuel pump might not be grounded, They also said the ground wire is behind the E Brake. or Brake release but i cant find it, if anyone had a picture of that spot, that may help me..)

any help would be great.. :confused::banghead:
Thank you.
-Vernon
That exactly what i had pretty much. I changed out my capacitors in my PCM niw its all fine. Really easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That exactly what i had pretty much. I changed out my capacitors in my PCM niw its all fine. Really easy to do.
never done that before, did you happen to do the write up?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
it is the PCM/ECU, I had to sit 20 min. and wait for a CE light to start mine a few years back before replacing it. There are some threads out here that link to another jeep forum with photos of which to replace. Personally, I got mine for a couple hundred at autocomputerexchange.net

I can tell you its related to something in the capacitors getting to cold and freezing up. Hence why we deal with it more in the morning as the weather starts to turn cold.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU - JeepForum.com

Dont mean to reference another forum but this is where i found it and i'm too lazy to re-write it anyway. Good luck, its super easy and cheap and dont forget to disconnect your battery first. If you still have question just ask it solved my problem.
thank you guys so much, gonna look at it tomorrow and saturday only two days off this week, works heavy, but what do i know im just a dumb welder!:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts