Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting anything on here, so bear with me. I have a '97 wrangler, and it is my first car ever, and I'm still learning about owning/maintaining a vehicle so a lot of my questions probably seem dumb.

When I bought it a few months ago, the fuel gauge was broken. I was able to estimate the amount of gas I had pretty well, but about 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that I could not get more than 2 gallons of gas into my tank at a time. I tried moving the pump around, upside down, pulling it out a little, and anything else that was suggested but nothing seems to work. The pump just shuts off every few seconds, and I can never get more than a few bucks in. I just paid out the butt for my fall semester, so I can't get this fixed for a few more weeks, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and could tell me what is wrong or if it is something that I could possibly fix myself.

Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question. I asked about this on another site, and some guy told me to kill myself because I was too dumb to just get it fixed (even though I clearly stated that I planned on having it fixed asap). So I figured you guys would possibly be a little nicer and more helpful.

I appreciate any suggestions/answers!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have had this happen to me. What happens on mine is that the gas tank vent tube does not let the vapors escape. I have to pull the nozzle out almost all of the way. Pump the gas slowly for about 30 seconds than pump it it full speed with the nozzle all the way in. Works for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've heard other people had problems with filling there TJ's as well. fortunately I haven't had those problems myself. I did have that problem with my old dodge truck tho, and it bugged the crap out of me cause, as you say, you can only get a little in at a time then it turns off... I eventually just found a couple gas stations that weren't so sensitive to shutting off and went there exclusively. problem fixed (sort of). hope you can figure it out :thumb:

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question. I asked about this on another site, and some guy told me to kill myself because I was too dumb to just get it fixed (even though I clearly stated that I planned on having it fixed asap)!
Fact is you don't know what you don't know. This sounds like something from that pirate 4x4 website. I hear those guys are rough. I don't even go on it because of the stories I have heard. Sorry I don't have a fix for your problem but wanted to re assure that the only dumb questions are those not asked (providing it really is a question in your mind) so ask away. Great group of guys and gals here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had this issue with my jeep when I first bought it from the PO but it sorta just went away on its own.. Haha. The best bet is to pump in a few gallons with the nozzle most of the way out then put it in and top it off.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The filler vent may be to blame and as mentioned, not letting vapors release. So the pump thinks it is done and shuts off. My Avalanche does that, but my 97 TJ does not. If you look on here or over on Jeepforum.com, there is a thread about the fuel filler tube, though that thread deals with it NOT shutting off and spilling out. I'm thinking your flapper vent in the tube is not working properly.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Also, a lot of newer nozzles have this issue. They do not allow enough compression of the boot to get the into the filler neck all the way and create the proper back flow of vapor. If you have an older style pump nozzle at another local station try that. I have the same issue on my Pontiac vibe. The EPA doesn't make our life easier, do they.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's really easy to access the vent tube, but I'm not sure what could be causing it to do that. Maybe take a look at it and see if anything looks out of the ordinary... the bezel and filler hose are just connected by 8 screws then you'll be able to see the vent tube connected to that.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
OP: have you tried going to a different gas station? (IF your using the same place only). I've heard sometimes that its really the gas pump at the station itself is the problem where too much fuel is being pushed thru... Just a thought.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I will chime in here with my "newbie-expertise". I had problems with my TJ as well. Occasionally, it was filling problems like yours, but it would mostly fill all the way up and spill gas out everywhere. Not sure if this is related to the same thing you are experiencing, but it ended up costing me about $30 to buy a GM brand fill tube, and I have not had any issues since. I think I ordered the fill tube from GM Parts Direct. Just make sure you follow the instructions and put the flapper the correct way.

Check the link here:
'05-'06 gas overflow fix - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Do you have a high/low pump setting on the nozzle trigger? Try using the low setting if you do. Otherwise, you may have to do the GM flapper mod for $30 + labor or spend ~$600 + labor on a new fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
When I moved from Missouri to Alaska it happened all the time with the Alaska pumps. I just put the nozzle in half way and listened for it to get full or there would be a tad of overspill. A friends TJ was the same way. Now that I moved back to Missouri the problem is gone. It is very pump dependent.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
OP: have you tried going to a different gas station? (IF your using the same place only). I've heard sometimes that its really the gas pump at the station itself is the problem where too much fuel is being pushed thru... Just a thought.
Close! :thumb: It is the vapor recovery collar on the pump that makes a difference. As an example, there is a Chevron station that I always use for gas. Only 2 of the 8 pumps have the vr collar that will pump gas into my Jeep without overflow. If I am in a hurry and can't wait for one of those pumps, I roll up paper towels and put them under the nozzle to catch the overflow. I have also learned that if I can hear a gurgling sound, the pump will overflow. If the gas is pumping quietly, I can walk away and it will shut off when full.

It really comes down to a design flaw on Chrysler's part but they aren't willing to correct it. You can either replace it with the GM part or learn to live with it as I have.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Close! :thumb: It is the vapor recovery collar on the pump that makes a difference. As an example, there is a Chevron station that I always use for gas. Only 2 of the 8 pumps have the vr collar that will pump gas into my Jeep without overflow. If I am in a hurry and can't wait for one of those pumps, I roll up paper towels and put them under the nozzle to catch the overflow. I have also learned that if I can hear a gurgling sound, the pump will overflow. If the gas is pumping quietly, I can walk away and it will shut off when full.

It really comes down to a design flaw on Chrysler's part but they aren't willing to correct it. You can either replace it with the GM part or learn to live with it as I have.
What she said :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help! I have noticed that certain gas stations don't stop as frequently as others, so I'll try to pay more attention to which pumps I use. I wasn't aware that the pump could be a part of the problem too. I figured they were all the same for the most part.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just made the GM mod today and actually can't wait to by gas. 30 bucks and GM part# 15131046 + a couple hrs and I'm done. I did discover the Jeep tube did not have a flow back valve which allowed gas to flow out the tube as pressure built in the tank towards the end of filling. (I wonder if the jeeps valve is in the tank neck?)

Since the Jeep tube is bent and the GM straight, a guy in another post suggested to use the extra clamp off the Jeep tube to prevent the GM tube from kinking... worked perfectly. (just clamp it around the kink and tighten till round again). Because of where I wanted the valve to be located relative to the kink that would form, I cut 2'' off the small (filler) end and 3/4 off the larger (tank side) end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts