Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I fill up my tank, I can only fill up about 12-14 gallons from empty but jeeps are supposed to hold more. I only get about 230 miles per tank, and I'm getting good mpg and i'm not losing money, but I don't want to keep refilling every week. Is there something wrong with my gas tank?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Most likely not. The tanks are standard in the amount of fuel they hold. A 2dr is 18.6 and a 4dr is 22.5. Are you sure you are empty? The low fuel indicator light will activate with approx. 2-4 gals. left in the tank. If you're using the low fuel warning, that's most likely what's happening. Your light might be activating at the higher end (4 gals).

·
Registered
267 Posts
2 door Willys here and I get about the same (averaging 17 to 19 mpg if I bother to check).

It does seem that I'm usually putting in about 13 gallons when I fill up close to the low fuel warning - which appears to trigger when the miles to empty gets less than ~ 40.

Makes it seem like a 15/16 gallon tank using the low fuel indicator - haven't drained it empty yet.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You'll never get it full unless you literally drive it till your run out. Even on E there is a pretty substantial reserve to save morons from themselves.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You filled it from "empty", I doubt it. Personally, I would stop running it so low, best thing you can do is keep the gas tank full, and not run it so low.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You filled it from "empty", I doubt it. Personally, I would stop running it so low, best thing you can do is keep the gas tank full, and not run it so low.
I don't buy into any of the BS about cooling or sucking up dirt when running low. It's simply a matter of security. I won't go below 1/4 tank. At minimum I want enough gas to get out of dodge on no notice in the event of some sort of disaster or terror attack or whatever. It wouldn't do for there to be some terrible event and you need to buy gas.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't buy into any of the BS about cooling or sucking up dirt when running low. It's simply a matter of security. I won't go below 1/4 tank. At minimum I want enough gas to get out of dodge on no notice in the event of some sort of disaster or terror attack or whatever. It wouldn't do for there to be some terrible event and you need to buy gas.
I'm not willing to tempt fate... :whacky:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
there quickly wouldn't be gas to buy.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Your point is valid. JK fuel pumps have a built in reservoir that fills from the tank. From the "reservoir" fuel is supplied to the fuel rail. The reservoir keeps the fuel pump cool. When there's no fuel left to pump from the tank the pump shuts down, but the reservoir stays full. That's when a JK is technically out of gas. As a result of that design, JK fuel pumps don't burn out from lack of fuel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts