Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a confusing issue with my headlights.

Background: 2015 JKU Sahara. Purchased new 3 years ago. Lightly driven - it's an extra car. Currently around 10K miles. JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J-series headlights installed shortly after buying the car.

About 2 weeks ago, I got in the car at night and the headlights would not come on. One high-beam worked but neither low-beam.

Initially, I figured it was a fuse, but apparently there is no fuse for headlights on a 2015 Wrangler. While looking for the fuse, I found a lot of dead leaves under the hood over the fuse box. A lot - put there by some animal, I suppose. There was no obvious damage to wiring, and no blown fuse. Obviously, I removed the leaves.

Next, I removed the JW Speaker headlights and replaced with the OEM headlights which were still in my attic. They worked perfectly. This morning, I got back from being out of town for a week and replaced the JW Speaker headlights. They, too, work perfectly.

WTF? Intermittent electrical issue? Overheating (but the car was cold when I had the issue)? Gremlins?

Anyway, the headlights are now working, but I have some concern as to how reliable they will be. Looking for any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have now had to replace the headlights again. The stock headlights work, the JW speaker headlights do not. They are 3 years old, but per the JWSpeaker website, all items purchased through Amazon are not covered by warranty.

So end result is $600 headlights do not work after less than 3 years and will not be covered. I will not purchase anything else form JWSpeaker. I would advise caution and would not buy through Amazon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have now had to replace the headlights again. The stock headlights work, the JW speaker headlights do not. They are 3 years old, but per the JWSpeaker website, all items purchased through Amazon are not covered by warranty.

So end result is $600 headlights do not work after less than 3 years and will not be covered. I will not purchase anything else form JWSpeaker. I would advise caution and would not buy through Amazon.
If you bought them through Amazon Prime and it was "sold and shipped by Amazon", one of the benefits of being a Prime member is that they honor the manufacturer's warranty should the manufacturer not cover your product due to being sold through Amazon. I verified this in December before buying my JW Speakers. Worth shooting an email to [email protected] .

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is probably no help but... I have a 2010 JK that I installed JW Speakers a few years ago (well outside of warranty). The right side light started to flickering and sometimes wouldn't light up either. So I switched the lights around and now they are working fine for now. I checked for broken and chafing wires, all looked good. If it starts acting up again I will clean the connections and try the dielectric grease as aggrex suggested.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My JW Speaker headlights were starting to flicker off and on before they stopped working all together. I took them off, cleaned both connectors very well and put them back together. They have worked perfectly since then.

It appears taking them out and back in worked once for you. I'd try to clean them and plug them in again before you give up.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Wonky electronics, and headlights these days are electronics, can be caused by weak battery, connections or episodes. The next time, since you have cleaned the connections at the lights themselves, have the battery tested at an auto parts store. They load test them which is better than a simple voltmeter. Also clean the battery terminals and make sure the clamps are tight.

Also check the connections of the headlight grounds. Make sure they are clean and tight.

You can also reset the TIPM by removing both battery cables (ground first) and touching them together to clear all the capacitors. Then reconnect the cables, although I don't think it controls the headlights individually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts