Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had my wrangler on the road now for 2 days and its been nothing but hell. Its an 89 with the 2.5l in it. The engine will start right up and idle fine, but when i drive it, it will either bog down and run like crap right as i try to move it, or it will let me get a few blocks from my house then do it. Now I've had it for a few months and was running fine. I even drove it almost 200 miles in the begining of winter until the gas tank started leaking. The other day i went to move it and it did that, and i thought maybe it was bad gas, but $20 in gas and some fleet dry gas hasnt changed a bit. So anyways if anyone has any info that would help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
jeff25 said:
Well I've had my wrangler on the road now for 2 days and its been nothing but hell. Its an 89 with the 2.5l in it. The engine will start right up and idle fine, but when i drive it, it will either bog down and run like crap right as i try to move it, or it will let me get a few blocks from my house then do it. Now I've had it for a few months and was running fine. I even drove it almost 200 miles in the begining of winter until the gas tank started leaking. The other day i went to move it and it did that, and i thought maybe it was bad gas, but $20 in gas and some fleet dry gas hasnt changed a bit. So anyways if anyone has any info that would help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Clean out the throttle body...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
IMHO Start with a basic tune up. Plugs and Wires, Change the oil and oil filter. You know the drill. Oh and run a bottle of fuel treatment through. Helped mine. Good Luck :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info. each of these are things i was thinking its just throwing me off the it not a random instance. once it starts running like that it wont clear up unless i shut if off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMHO Start with a basic tune up. Plugs and Wires, Change the oil and oil filter. You know the drill. Oh and run a bottle of fuel treatment through. Helped mine. Good Luck :thumb:

What kind of treatment? I was thinking of running some through a tank,didn't know what to get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen a couple weeks ago with my 95 yj. It started out only happening once or twice a day but it got to be almost constant where turning the jeep off and back on didn't fix it. I took it to a mechanic last week and they had no idea what was causing it. I left it with them for three days to see if they could diagnose the problem and they still had no idea. This morning I took it to another mechanic and they traced it back to several vacuum leaks. A few hours later (and a few hundred bucks spent) my yj was back running better than she has ever run. The mechanic told me it would take about a week for the Jeep to get used to running right so it will bog down some as it retrains itself. Hopefully this gives you some insight.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If it sat all Winter check the air intake and see if a rat made a nest to say warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts