Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2013 Wrangler Sahara since Sept 2012. The inside support hinge on the tailgate has snapped 3 times in that period. It does not appear to be able to support the weight of the tailgate if the vehicle is not completely level. Jeep is more than happy to repair at N/C, but has anyone else seen this issue? Dealer says they've seen this but is Jeep looking at a permanent fix?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've had my 2013 Wrangler Sahara since Sept 2012. The inside support hinge on the tailgate has snapped 3 times in that period. It does not appear to be able to support the weight of the tailgate if the vehicle is not completely level. Jeep is more than happy to repair at N/C, but has anyone else seen this issue? Dealer says they've seen this but is Jeep looking at a permanent fix?
I'm in Indiana... no problems because it's completely level here. I'd think if you were careful to not let the tailgate "fall" open that the stopper should be able to hold it. I'm sure after 3 times broken that you probably go out of your way to make sure that you don't add unnecessary stress to it. So... I don't know?

Also, I'm a COLTS fan, so you get what you deserve! :D:rofl:

·
Registered
122 Posts
You have too many wheel weights on your spare tire. :rofl:

Seriously, the tailgate hinges support a lot of weight. And if you're parked uneven, especially if the gate is pitched up when you open it, I can see it being a problem.

Can you find a more level place to park?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue isn't the outside double hinge which mounts the tailgate to the frame, it's the inside thin rod which is supposed to stop the door from opening more than a certain amount.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The issue isn't the outside double hinge which mounts the tailgate to the frame, it's the inside thin rod which is supposed to stop the door from opening more than a certain amount.
Exactly an that's why it breaks because the weight an stress of the spare on the tailgate. Do you have stock tires or oversized tires?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Stock P255/70R/18, but I agree the weight on the tailgate seems to heavy for the thin metal rod
Then really you shouldn't be experiencing problems. The uneven ground will contribute an just letting the gate swing open by itself will definitely break it. When you open the gate hold the gate firmly an slowly guide it open.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just had to have the rod for the swinggate replaced. I popped out of the retainer and I don't have the spare mounted to the swinggate, it's mounted on a tire carrier. Just popped out when I inadvertently opened it a little too far. Didn't break the rod, just pulled it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe it's not actually breaking the rod, but the dealer keeps putting parts on the Warranty receipt. It does appear to be diengaging from the retainer. Can I pop it back into place myself?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Neither the service manager, nor I could push it back in. Has to be taken apart to reinstall the rod, so they replaced the rod instead.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts