Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do today on my way home from work I went down a red clay red that had just been soaked and softened by the last few days of rain. When I got about half way down the road I started to slide so I decided to engage 4 hi... When I got to the end of the road I tried to disengage at that point I heard what sounded like out wasnt fully unlocked so I stopped and put both the jeep and trans case in neutral. And then all the way down again. And the noise was gone. When I got to the start of my drive way I engaged 4 hi again and when I started to drive again the noise was there as well. so I put it in 4 low and the noise went away.

what would cause the noise/ not fully engaging ... please help my jeep is 97tj

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Tcase issues? Im not really sure. Have you tried to search for it on here?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you shifting while moving? I asked a question like that a few years ago when I got my Jeep and most people said to be moving between 5mph and 55mph for 4 Hi and 3-5mph for 4 Low. I THINK I'm remembering that correctly?!

Don't know if I'm reading correctly either, but is this an automatic or manual trans and don't know if that even makes a difference. When I asked about it, I was referring to a manual trans.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Perhaps there was a little driveline bind being released? I'm not sure if your driveway is paved or not, but 4wd on dry roads is not recommended.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
No matter what the book says, even going into or out of 4hi works best from a dead stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts