Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am posting this thread because of a problem I was having with my key fobs and the battery’s.

This problem started with my '14 Rubi many years ago. I turned off the horn alert when locking or unlocking with the key fob. If I am close enough to hear the doors lock, why do I need to have the horn blow and scare anyone near me as several cars do to me each day. In Europe, it's against the law to sound the horn when locking or unlocking your car and I TOTALLY AGREED!! Notice, past tense!

So begins my story. After about 3 months of flawless operation with the key fobs, I started having problems with the batteries dyeing, or so I thought. I would replace the battery and the fob would again work for another 3-4 months.

Then after about 2-3 years, the new batteries seemed like they were only lasting 2-3 weeks before I would start having problems. My solution to this problem was to PUSH THE BUTTONS HARDER! UNLOCK, RELOCK until I heard the locks ‘LOCK’! It seemed to work but I think it was only a psychological band aid. I went through several (20-30) batteries.

Now this problem has struck my new ’18 JKU. It’s a year old and I have changed the batteries in the fobs 6-7 times. Each time I would change the batteries, they would work fine for a couple of weeks, then they would stop working. Same thing, push the buttons harder.

Recently, I started checking the batteries with a volt meter and noting that the voltage is exactly the same as a brand new battery. Without replacing the battery, I took my knife and bent the tangs that the battery touches up a very little bit towards the battery, to make a better connection. This worked!! The fob started working as if I had replaced the battery.

So, what am I led to believe. NOT having the horn sound when walking away from the jeep, sometimes I don’t hear the locks. I stop, listen, unlock and relock and pushing the buttons harder. “FLATENING OUT THE TANGS.” Hmm. I now know the reason for the horn sounding when locking or unlocking vehicles. I will be turning that back on and NEVER pushing the buttons on the fobs harder than a little girl would. Pushing them harder does nothing but screw things up. Problem Solved!! :bop:

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I've had the horn off for 135,000+ miles and my fob works. Only on the second battery too.

Reactions: 87_WhyJay

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree that the horn sounding is an annoyance, especially when I work 2nd shift and get home at 4 in the morning. It doesn’t bother me so much as my sleeping wife and neighbors. So I turned off the horn, but my parking lights flash when I lock and unlock my Jeep and I don’t need both an audible and visual confirmation. As long as I can see the Jeep, I know whether or not it locked.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only one of my two key fobs will remote start my 2017.
Still in trial mode and the jury is still out, but when I bent my tangs out to squeeze the battery harder, I also cleaned the contacts on the back side of the circuit board with 92% rubbing alcohol. That might make the other key work with remote start. There is a spray can of electronic contact cleaner but I have no idea where to buy it since Radio Shack closed it's doors. Maybe FRY'S??

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that the horn sounding is an annoyance, especially when I work 2nd shift and get home at 4 in the morning. It doesn’t bother me so much as my sleeping wife and neighbors. So I turned off the horn, but my parking lights flash when I lock and unlock my Jeep and I don’t need both an audible and visual confirmation. As long as I can see the Jeep, I know whether or not it locked.
I am making it my new habit to lock or unlock the door while still within 10-15 feet while I am testing my theory. I held my key up by my head today and remote started the engine to start the cooling down process while I was 150 feet away. AT 110 degrees in the shade today, I love this feature.

AND IT WORKED!! :iamhappy:

I still haven't turned the horn back on yet. I REALLY hate this feature and would rather learn to make it work with it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts