Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like many early YJ owners, have a case of windshield rot. The glass on my windshield is fine but the whole windshield frame is rusted out. The previous owner, slapped a diamond plate cover on the base to hide it but the rust has worked it's way all around the diamond plate and pieces are chunking off. Thus, I need to replace the windshield.

I see the replacement frames on eBay for around $150. No glass, no gaskets. What's involved in putting my existing glass in a new frame? Is there a special tool to pop it out? I'll definitely need new gaskets, right?

Denis

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
the windsheild is ureathaned in .you will need to get a glass co. to remove and replace .just have the new one ready to install.
yes, youll need a hot knife if you want to save the glass .this isnt a cj winsheild gasket those are a piece of cake to change.
and with a glass co youll get a warrenty againt leaks.
sometimes you can find a used take off frame and glass on CL that would be the easiest.I think Ive seen 5 in the last month on the Pittsburgh CL

·
Registered
680 Posts
I replaced mine this year. check out Quadratec. they sell the whole thing. frame,glass,seals,glue. all in one kit. was under $300. was actually very easy to install glass. if you want to remove the old glass there is a tool to cut it out. remove the inner and outer trim first. your just cutting the old glue, that's all that holds it in. I think I bought the tool from snap-on. wasn't that bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts