·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This seems like a lot of money for 50hp and a guaranteed voided engine warranty.

I admit i'm intrigued though so I'm subscribing to this thread.
I know right! I'm more interested in the experiment than the warranty. I recognize that I'm fortunate to have that option. Also... I'll have the stock PCM untouched.

It's supposed to be 100 or so HP at the wheels, we'll see.

I'm out of town but I think my lady will be programming the Diablo PCM this weekend and then my 12 year old and I will be installing the following weekend. He's been forced to learn about the evolution of the internal combustion engine, natural aspiration and forced induction.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
The HP is a good test but just a simple 0-60 would tell a lot. If you really get this to work right, you'll be one of the first I know of here. Good luck. It's only money.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 1: Got most of less exciting stuff done.
  • airbox and coolant overflow removed - these will go to cold storage
  • colder spark plugs installed
  • new fuel injectors installed
  • after market transmission cooler installed
  • alternator and OEM bracket removed for relocation

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mkay, finished all mechanical, electrical and plumbing. There were a couple of fitment challenges and one part (a hose) that I think isn't correct for the application. Luckily O'Reilliy"s has a thousand hoses to browse and find one that works.

The BIGGEST disappointment is, by far, in the programmer. The diablo i3 failed to upload the procharger tune. It then failed, in "recovery mode," to restore the backup. Apparently, one is simply in purgatory after that, waiting for tech support to come to work on Monday.

So, here it sits - all show, no go.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So very disappointing. Keep us informed on how they remedy this. Why does it always happen on a weekend? I think that's crappy support for a product like this...I mean how often do we work on our Jeeps on the weekend?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mkay, finished all mechanical, electrical and plumbing. There were a couple of fitment challenges and one part (a hose) that I think isn't correct for the application. Luckily O'Reilliy"s has a thousand hoses to browse and find one that works.

The BIGGEST disappointment is, by far, in the programmer. The diablo i3 failed to upload the procharger tune. It then failed, in "recovery mode," to restore the backup. Apparently, one is simply in purgatory after that, waiting for tech support to come to work on Monday.

So, here it sits - all show, no go.

Did you have a battery charger hooked up to your battery before trying to install tune?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gobi lives.. with forced induction!

Quick update, it turns out that it was a combination of ambiguous (or very abbreviated) instructions from procharger and diablo along with a misleading (at least for me) user interface on the i3 programmer.

After a few dozen iterations I found a the error I was making in the process, got a backup and out of recovery mode. Then, re-added the procharger tune. Was able to get that update to the PCM and then we were off and running.

Warmed up around town for a bit, a little highway action, VERY impressed.

I'm going to get a little drive time in and then try to get a dyno run in the next time I'm in town (my attempt at a "before" dyno was a flop).

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
With the HP they claim, the back tires should smoke. 0 - 60 time should be impressive.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I hope your diablo experience is better than mine was. We scrapped the diablo entirely and I went to a tuner shop for a custom tune (I’m on a 2010 so totally different animal, I know). Enjoy the drop in gas mileage, its a total blast, I can’t stay off the gas now just to feel the pull and hear the whine! Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts