Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Already know the negative feedback about procomps.. but wanted a more in depth evaluation about the following setup (looking to buy a preowned JKU) and see if its any good as a complete kit

4” procomp lift, 4” procomp coils, fox 2.0 PS shocks (front with resevoir, rears without), procomp adjustable track bar, fox ATS steering, axle repair kit (not sure what this consists of), 20x12 wheels with 38x15.5R20. Im assuming stock gears but Id have to double check as it wasnt mentioned to me

Intentions: daily driver with rare case of offroading (no free time essentially) but always wanted one of these bad ass looking bad boys

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
IMO that is A LOT of tire for factory axles. I suspect all the usual culprits are worn out, ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link end, unit bearings, etc.

Check the back to see if the wheels/tires roll true, I would suspect bent flanges as well.

Personally I'd be prepared to throw 5 grand at it to replace the lift and the above mentioned components with quality stuff. Plus another couple of grand to re-gear.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Owner does know if its stock gears or not. Any easy way to find out?
If he isn't the first owner, then probably not going to find out without removing diff covers. If he is the first owner, then...he should know...

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Also, I assume it is not a Rubicon. That means 3.21 or 3.73 gears and a Dana 30 front axle. 4.10's are normally only stock on some (not all) Rubicons.
I would focus on the rest of the Jeep, and figure on replacing the suspension lift and steering parts. You may also want to budget for different wheels if you aren't going to run those big tires.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Not a rubi.. just the base
Then stock gears are either 3.21 or 3.73.
Additionally, the front axle, assuming it is stock, is a D30. Not many people on here would be brave enough to run those tires with that axle. And the gears ratio required to make those tires perform properly is beyond the normally recommended range, which would make that axle even weaker.

Personally, I would not touch a Jeep like that. Buying one that has been properly modded is one thing. Buying a Jeep that has been modded without, seemingly, a clue, is another. That is a lot of possible problems and work to make right. It would be easier to get where you want to be by starting with one that is bone stock vs starting with one that is that poorly modded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback

Seems like a lot of bad decisions in this truck build. Funny thing is that it was built by a wheel and suspension shop that does most jeeps and other trucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts