Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm working on ordering a set of Quadratec LED heated headlights. Quadratec let me know that they aren't quite plug and play for Canadian jeeps - that I will need to reprogram so that they function with our Day Time Running Lights requirement.

Quadratec suggested a Flashcal F5 Programmer so I could do this. I don't though want to spend $200 US on something I'll likely never use again. Any cheaper programmers that would work? Give my mechanic a $100 to do it?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Canadian Jeeps already have the build code LMK programmed in.

Does @Quadratec mean that their lights don't support that? The JW Speaker 8700J does and I thought the lights were derived from them.

If so, you'd have to remove LMK from your build and use a programmer to switch DRL to your parking lights (also Canada compliant).

Get Qtec to explain better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you're interested in any of the features of a Tazer check them out. I know the money is a bit much for just that purpose but maybe you'll make use of the other features as well.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Quadratec suggested a Flashcal F5 Programmer so I could do this. I don't though want to spend $200 US on something I'll likely never use again. Any cheaper programmers that would work? Give my mechanic a $100 to do it?
Check out Jscan. That's what I use.

You can program in the LED Headlights, and change the DRL to be something else like the fog lights.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Check out Jscan. That's what I use.

You can program in the LED Headlights, and change the DRL to be something else like the fog lights.
Wow! I really need to get jscan - impressed with what it can do.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
JScan is cheap and easy and MASSSIVELY functional. So many things you can do with it. Real time data and logging being two of my favorites.

Reactions: WillB

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
A cheap app and a cheap OBD adapter from amazon - PERFECT
Thanks much
I would install the lights and test them out before doing any programming.

If those JW Speaker-made Quadratec lights are anything like previous JW Speaker versions, they will likely be plug & play with DRL working as-intended. I am interested to hear how they work out, straight out of the carton.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would install the lights and test them out before doing any programming.

If those JW Speaker-made Quadratec lights are anything like previous JW Speaker versions, they will likely be plug & play with DRL working as-intended. I am interested to hear how they work out, straight out of the carton.
I am inclined to think the same. I dont see why a previously DRL programmed Jeep would just suddenly not work when swapping headlights...

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I am inclined to think the same. I dont see why a previously DRL programmed Jeep would just suddenly not work when swapping headlights...
Unless @Quadratec had them build the lights without the DRL LEDs to save a little money.
The JWS leap from 8700 to 8700J was notable for two reasons:
1) first plug and play LED retrofit for a JK
2) first DRL LED

Hitherto the LEDs would not work because they needed 9 volts and the DRL feature provides less.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Unless @Quadratec had them build the lights without the DRL LEDs to save a little money.
The JWS leap from 8700 to 8700J was notable for two reasons:
1) first plug and play LED retrofit for a JK
2) first DRL LED

Hitherto the LEDs would not work because they needed 9 volts and the DRL feature provides less.

So the DRL feature as activated by a programmer, is that not the same as the one activated by the factory on a Canadian Jeep? I just assumed this was the case?

I have the Q-Tec headlights, and they are set as DRLs via a tuner. Work fine.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
So the DRL feature as activated by a programmer, is that not the same as the one activated by the factory on a Canadian Jeep? I just assumed this was the case?

I have the Q-Tec headlights, and they are set as DRLs via a tuner. Work fine.
I think so...

You have the Q heated LEDs? And DRL through the highbeam circuit?
If so, that's great info; thanks.

The way that I found the right program code years ago when I was helping out JWS was I contacted a Jeep dealer in Toronto and they sent me the entire code list for a Canadian spec Jeep. I compared it to my codes and found the missing line. I borrowed a WiTech from my local dealer and added the line of code to my build. Voila, I had DRLs.

I'm still running that original set of prototype JWS 8700Js, btw.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think so...

You have the Q heated LEDs? And DRL through the highbeam circuit?
If so, that's great info; thanks.

The way that I found the right program code years ago when I was helping out JWS was I contacted a Jeep dealer in Toronto and they sent me the entire code list for a Canadian spec Jeep. I compared it to my codes and found the missing line. I borrowed a WiTech from my local dealer and added the line of code to my build. Voila, I had DRLs.

I'm still running that original set of prototype JWS 8700Js, btw.
Sorry, non-heated. Standard Q-Tec LEDs, I cant speak for the heated version.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Sorry, non-heated. Standard Q-Tec LEDs, I cant speak for the heated version.
Dang.
Nice to know that their other ones work for DRL. Highbeam? (bottom LED)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts