Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
it plugs into your obd port,,, it records how you drive,, how fast you stomp the gas and brake, how fast you conner ,, whole bunch of info is recorded.... big brother is watching you drive.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I personally would never use this, I just don't feel right about the insurance companies knowing exactly how I drive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Imagine if you get into an accident where there is a fatality. The opposing lawyer finds out you have this device and they supinate the information.

Next thing u know... You are sitting on the stand trying to explain why you " have a history is exceeding the speed limit" and "routinely perform heavy breaking actions" most importantly you show "a disregard for traffic laws".

No thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
They use it to give you a small discount, but also to disallow claims. Why give them the extra information they need to deny your claim.

The Snapshot does use GPS and also transmits using ATT wireless system (ATT can triangulate your position). So now Pregressive has your speed and location so when it comes time to investigate a fender-bender claim the investigator gets out a map to verify the speed limit, finds that you were doing 36 in a 35 when the accident happend.. Claim denied.

just my $0.02. Big Brother can take thier spyware somewhere else.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Bad enough there is a black box you can't circumvent. no way I would ever put that on voluntarily. It would probably look good with an ankle bracelet though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I saved 20% on my insurance from snspshot!
You need to call them and ask them what the Snapshot told them that made them decide to give you 20% off instead of the "up to 30%" they proclaim. I'm guessing that it didn't tell them anything and they are trying to get off as cheaply as they can. You may get your discount bumped up to 30% "The squeeky wheel gets the grease."

If it was me personally, I would want to know why I didn't qualify for the full discount.

Insurance is just a form of gambling. You are betting you are going to use it and they are betting that you won't.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A friend used one. Progressive only had him use it for a couple of months and then send it back. He ended up with a good discount.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Imagine if you get into an accident where there is a fatality. The opposing lawyer finds out you have this device and they supinate the information.

Next thing u know... You are sitting on the stand trying to explain why you " have a history is exceeding the speed limit" and "routinely perform heavy breaking actions" most importantly you show "a disregard for traffic laws".

No thanks
There is already a device known as the Event Data Recorder which continuously captures information for a defined period of time. In case of an accident, this data can be used to recreate your behavior and thus prove your guilt or innocence.

I personally wouldn't use the Progressive device because of big-brother concerns, and also because I'm not sure how they'll interpret all the weird data they might get when I go wheeling which will affect my rates.

This is a classic example of the insurance company making people self-select, knowing that only safe drivers will opt for this option... and thereby being able to offer them a good discount.

·
Registered
876 Posts
They use it to give you a small discount, but also to disallow claims. Why give them the extra information they need to deny your claim.

The Snapshot does use GPS and also transmits using ATT wireless system (ATT can triangulate your position). So now Pregressive has your speed and location so when it comes time to investigate a fender-bender claim the investigator gets out a map to verify the speed limit, finds that you were doing 36 in a 35 when the accident happend.. Claim denied.

just my $0.02. Big Brother can take thier spyware somewhere else.
From the Progressive FAQ:

What other information do you collect?
Once you plug in the Snapshot device, we'll collect your Vehicle Identification Number and take note of whether the device stays plugged in, so we can alert you if it gets disconnected. The Snapshot device doesn't track your location or whether you're speeding, and it doesn't contain GPS technology.
How quickly will I start saving?
After you've logged 30 days of driving, any savings you earn will kick in immediately. Then, you'll stay plugged in for five more months to set your ongoing renewal discount.
So it's not left there permanantly. You just have to pretend to be a good driver for 6 months then you can start hooning again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was discussing this with my sister in law whom works for a law firm. The newest tactic for lawyers is to supeana the cell phone records and compare them with the event data recorder. The Snapshot makes it even easier to determine if you were distracted when the accident occured. Progressive will submit your data to the investigator/lawyer as stated in the user agreement without telling their customer.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I work in the insurance industry. Your claim can't be denied because you were speeding, even if you were being wreckless. Sure, they can increase your premiums or non-renew you, but someone driving their Veyron 200 mph in a 55 zone would still be covered.

Please don't spread misinformation.

That said, I still think snapshot is waaaay too 'big brother'. No thanks.

Edit: they could use it to apply comparative negligence on you. Ie if you're speeding, 10% of the fault falls to you. But that would be your own company applying negligence on you, which doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The schematic of the Snapshot clearly shows a GPS input to the CPU.

·
Registered
199 Posts
blw2000 said:
supinate?!
Yup it's iPhone's auto correct version of a sapina.

I actually know the meaning of supinate. Go me!

·
Registered
297 Posts
We already have a black box!

Everyone should know this!

It is sometimes referred to as an "event data recorder". If you have a wreck, it will record your speed, throttle and brake position, steering angle, and a number of other parameters at the time of the crash or wreck. The major difference in it and the "Snapshot" device is that the Black box continually overwrites the data and cannot provide a history. The Snapshot records this data over a long period of time and provides a history.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understood this. In Texas, we have to acknowledge that we know the vehicle contains the black box when we purchase the vehicle.

By the way, both sides could have access to either of these data sets via subpoena procedure in a civil or criminal legal proceding.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The truth is in the patent.

It also states that they determine if you park in a high crime area, lock your doors, etc.

How do they know where you park if they don't use GPS? It's in the patent. I see a class action lawsuit in Progressive's future.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts