Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for some mods to bullet proof the drivetrain in my 99 Tj sport 4.0 5 speed from engine to axles any mods to extend the jeeps life, give more power, and make it stronger, including engine swaps, also axle swaps ( especially the infamous dana 35 )

So I need some ideas of mods like this

·
Registered
955 Posts
My best suggestion would be to build the jeep around what you plan on using it for. DD alone, DD/light offroad, DD/heavy offroad, heavy offroad alone, etc etc. Then somewhat over-build it. Use good parts(try to stray away from cheap auto chain parts), and regular maintenance. It doesn't take much more than common sense and care to make a bulletproof vehicle after you've ironed out all it's flaws. Attack problems as they arise, find out why they happened, replace parts and improve if possible.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a DD but do plan on light to moderate off-roading ( trails and mud mainly ) I have honestly thout of buying a stock magnum 318 and modifying it then swap in my 4.0 out. I have heard that 318 uses an ax15 tranny, is that true?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You would need none of the above nor need to bullet proof it for mild to moderate offroad use.

Better than bullet proofing is knowing the limits of your driving ability and respect the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It is a DD but do plan on light to moderate off-roading ( trails and mud mainly ) I have honestly thout of buying a stock magnum 318 and modifying it then swap in my 4.0 out. I have heard that 318 uses an ax15 tranny, is that true?
If it's light or moderate off-roading, a 4.0 will more than suffice is what you'll hear.

I understand where you're coming from though. My sister has a 2000 durango and i'm secretly hoping she steers it into a truck's ball hitch or a ditch as she as the last two cars she has owned. That way i'd have a cheap donor to do a magnum swap.

On a whole though, i wouldn't advise a engine swap for no exact reason. It's expensive, requires a lot of work, and demands a lot of resources. Besides, if you're looking to make a "bullet-proof" TJ, swapping in such a complicated non-stock component might lead to a lot of adapting issues that will need ironed out. Seems like an unnecessary headache when those resources could go towards fleshing out other aspects of the TJ to make them last.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good choice if the stars are in align when you're 4.0 bites the dust. Which, if you plan on keeping your TJ for a long time, will happen at some point.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I agree about the 4.0 being enough, but everyone loves a lil horsepower haha. My plan was to buy an old magnum 318 and rebuild it so that it runs perfect then eventually drop it in the jeep, but this would be far in the future... I do know that the 4.0 is about bullet proof stock, but with a small block I could get a lot more power and as far as engine modifications the sky is the limit. I've seen very few 4.0 performance mods, and they are all very expensive, IMO way too much money to sink into a 6 cylinder ( even a 4.0 )

But does anyone know if a 318 will bolt up to my 5 speed ax15, because that is a huge game changer because I do not want to buy another Tranny and have to worry about fabricating to make things work

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't plan to do this at once, my TJ is a work in progress and I just plan to take it step by step, I'm just looking for ideas to make my Tj better and stronger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts