Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project Honey Badger is one of those projects that just falls into your lap and you have to do. Last summer a friend on mine was removing his drive train from a 2013 JK to put in an LS, incidentally another friend had a 1997 TJ he was looking to get rid of.

Now I know you can imagine where I am going with this, and some may be saying, that will not work, it is too expensive, the wiring does not match up etc etc etc.

Well, after many hours of talking with a local builder and working out the details to acquire the entire drive line from the JK, including axles and all wiring, and coming to terms on the TJ, Project Honey Badger was on.

I took her back to my garage and began to strip it down. The front fenders where removed, engine, trans, T case, and interior all removed. The frame and fire wall was painted black.

After that she was taken down the road to the shop that will be doing most of the work. It was placed on jack stands and the TJ axles where removed.

The build is getting mostly all Poison Spyder armor, and the new rock sliders, comp corners, and Defenders flares where installed/mocked up. New body mounts where installed early on as well. The front Dana 30 Jk axle is trussed and guesseted (keeping the cost down by reusing the front Jk axle plus the JK axle is about 5.5" wider than the TJ so it will give the Jeep a nice stance). Upgraded ball joints where installed in the front. Currie Anti Rock was added up front.

The 2013 engine, trans, and tcase where then fitted up for the new motor mounts. The 3.6l pentastar fits amazingly well, with only small clearance issues because the JK frame is wider than the TJ.

Once the drive train is installed, the front 3 link suspension is worked out through a couple of revisions and the new coilover mounts are made.

I know I am missing a ton of details and I will revise this as I think of them.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honey Badger got its new control arms built. They are 4 link triangulated system with Currie Johnny Joints. The uppers go to the top of the diff that has a Artec truss on it. This allows us to firm the wheel base at 100". The control arms terminate on the frame side pretty close to inline with the output shaft of the TCase. Next up will be the rear coilover mounts.:happyyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Can't wait to see this project finished.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chop Chop

Some progress was made on project Honey Badger. The suspension was flexed out and we found that the rear coil overs rubbed against the tire upon full stuff in the back. This led down the road of deciding to back half the jeep and run the coil overs up through the tub. All of the tubing has been tacked in place and the hoops for the rear coils are in place. The factory roll bar in the back was cut out and new supports run down to the coil over hoops. Once she is all welded up, it will be on to getting everything wired up for the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few items got done on Honey Badger. The new transmission cross member was fabricated. The oil pan skid was added along with the transmission skid. Just waiting on the air bump cans to come in and the back half can be painted and the body set back down. Slowly but surely we are making progress...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honey Badger got the rear back half painted when the body was lifted up off the frame to complete the welding. While at it, the rear axle was painted and the control arms. Everything was primed with a self etching primer and then a 2 part implement paint was used. The body is set back down on the frame and the rear cross member is laid out and the rear body mount locations are mocked up. Next steps are to get the custom rear bumper completed and the rear tire carrier done and the back painted and put back together for the last time.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Custom Rear bumper/cross member is all finished up. Also the new tire carrier is about 90% done. The shop made some nice progress this weekend. The holes in the rear bumper are for the LED back up lights.:bop:

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All rear metal work is done!!! Tire carrier is finished up and rear recovery points have been welded into the tube frame. Little bit of primer and paint and we can continue to move forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice work!
Ever heard of Operation Honey Badger? It was going to be the second attempt to rescue the hostages in Iran. Flying this aircraft
Thanks, never heard about it, but that plane was pretty cool until the wing broke off and burst into flames haha.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts