Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first jeep, she was purchased in January 2014. Its a 2013 JKU, black, with about 13,000 miles. After comparing prices of used jeeps, this one was the best deal we found.
IMG_4406.jpg
Its been a little over a year since the purchase. Now that some big mods have been made, I'm finally getting around to doing a build thread.

The basic mods that have been done are:
Weathertech floor mats-front only
Locking Fuel door
Tinted windows

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more things that were added:
Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure #299
Quick Turn knobs for HT
Honda Shitzu for keeping the freedom top seals from drying out
Spiderweb shade
American Outlaw mirrors. Would not buy these again. I worry about them flying off, although its unlikely. The mirrors also do not stay in place while driving. I'm constantly having to adjust them while driving. They have screws to tighten the mirror in place but they are difficult to get to and still do not tighten enough.
Antenna X 13". Love it! No signal loss and it looks way better than stock.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next the grill was addressed. After removing the grill I used gutter guards to make the inserts
IMG_4438.jpg
004.jpg

Then I used plasti-dip and bed liner on the grill to give it protection along with a textured look.
008.jpg

001 (4).jpg

001 (3).jpg
For a DIY project I think it turned out good. If money wasn't an issue I would Line-X it along with interior floor and fenders after I trim them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went with the TeraFlex 2.5' coil lift with Rancho 9000 series shocks, Rancho control arm bracket and Barricade bombproof adjustable trackbar
A couple guys from my local jeep club helped with the install. Saved me $500 on install and with me helping I learned more about my jeep which is priceless.
IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

I took measurement pictures before and after but can't find them. I did get a little over 3"all around which was nice. That is without any aftermarket bumpers. They come later which obviously will reduce that amount of lift.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a great deal on a Barricade Bull Bar with Skid Plate on Cyber Monday. It was only $99! Knowing it would be a while before I could afford the front bumper I want, I couldn't pass up this deal.
IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

Install was easy and it looks nice.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now we get into the real goodies!
Went with 35's Nitto Trail Grappler and 18" XD Monsters.
I was torn when I started looking at rims. I wanted 17's but I wanted these rims more and the smallest they come was 18". While they cost a bit more I went with what I wanted and am very happy with them! Love the look and the ride.
b5feb003-3747-4d42-9a58-9fcc76461a9e.png

719528cc-9282-41e7-befa-af2bc140f009.png

927793b6-f9d7-4b2a-a0a6-ca9597121361.png

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the bigger tires I had to upgrade the tire carrier and bumper. Went with JCR Vanguard and Shield Tire Carrier.
18b4e0d4-76f8-4c9a-9302-05a857614be7.png

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6231.jpg

I used my hard top hoist to raise the bumper to where I can install it by myself. That worked great.
Had some issues with the install of the bumper. Using the template for drilling the holes, they lined up just off of another hole in the frame. Using one of the existing holes in the frame I just lined the template up with that one and drilled the second. There are slots in the bumper so I had room to slide it further into the jeep frame so it fit.
I also installed Raxiom 3x3' LED lights into the bumper. The lights didn't fit into the existing holes for the lights. They sat a little low and not flush. Easy fix, I purchased additional nuts and washers and raised the light up a little bit and it was perfect.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is how the lights lined up before and after with the nut installed.
IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

While the bumper was I noticed how big that silver pot bellied pig of a muffler was. I didn't like the look of it so I painted it. It doesn't stand out near as much now.

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6186.jpg

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Your build is looking great! Nice job making those Raxiom lights fit in there. How did you end up wiring them? I have my reverse lights come on automatically and it's nice to not have to hit the switch every time I back up.

Let me know if I can help you get any parts for your future mods!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Looking good i like the bumper

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Very nice work!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.
The lights aren't installed yet. I ran into a hiccup, I had back surgery yesterday so it's going to be awhile.
At first I thought about tapping them into the current reverse light wiring. If I did I would lose the ability to use them any other time, say like when you have that idiot behind you with his brights on and he needs a little courteous flash. I may end up running the switch to the dash. Not in a hurry so I have time to think on it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that the back surgery is over, there has been some progression. Got the rear bumper led lights installed and working. They look great!
Installed a Tuffy under seat storage, which is very nice. I need to layer it with some material on the bottom so it's not metal on metal and doesn't scratch anything up.
Also installed today my birthday present which was a Condition Zero Mount. The holster is "universal" but needs to be stretched out for my Glock .40. It's a tight fit right now, the second mag barely fits in its holder. I thought it was going to tear. Had to remove the Tuffy box to install the holster. It's a tight fit but looks good.
I'm at my pic max otherwise I would post some.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ryanXT, I decided to install the lights with the switch. This way I can turn them on anytime, not just reverse. The wires were not near long enough for a JKU from front to rear. Thankfully my friend does electrical work and helped me wire them up. Good bit of splicing needed but they work perfect! Bright as hell too!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't realize it's been so long since I did anything to Jax. So I just had 4.56 Yukon gears installed. Going through the break in period so I haven't really tested them out. Driving around town I do notice a big difference. It's easy easier to get up to speed, 55, and maintain the speed. Haven't had any real Hills, as my area is pretty flat, but so far I am really liking the upgrade! Took about a year to do it and it was worth it!
Also had TF 2" coil spacers installed. Had about 500 pounds of extra weight in the ass and was sagging a bit. Now it's nice and level. Huge difference in the look. Amazing what 2" more inches can do.
Next up is to install the 20" light bar that's collecting dust. Waiting for my switch to come in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After a long time of doing nothing, I had the gears replaced with Yukon 4.56 about a month ago. Finally got to the 1000 mile break in and time to change the differential fluid. Perfect time to install ARB front and rear diff covers. Seeing as everything on the jeep is black and silver, they had the perfect set for me and they were installed today. Looking much nicer. Once I give her a bath I will post pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts