Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come to start my project. Back in October 2016 I bought my first TJ. It is a 1999 sport 4.0 auto with 293,000 miles for $2500. My goal is to be at 3.5-4" of lift on 35s with a manual conversion done right. It has a fair bit of rust on the frame and a bit on the tub so I've decided to do a complete frame off resto. My plan is to mock up everything that requires cutting or modifying the tub and fix all the rust so that a can blow it all apart to sand blast the frame and tub before I spray the POR15 and underbody. Here is my projected build list along with some pictures of the first few hours of work.

Build list:
Metalcloak 3.5" lift
35" tires
Ford 8.8 (4.88s)
HPD 30 (4.88s)
Reman NV3550
Reman NP231
SYE
Barricade bumpers, winch, fenders, and rocker guards
full exhaust system
Intake upgrades
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sweet. Looking forward to seeing the progress

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little more progress, I planned on welding in patch panels where the rust was on the rocker panels but all I had was my TIG so I'll have to wait until next weekend to bring home the MIG and do all of my welding.

Decided to start on the interior until I can grab my welder

Replacing that whole floor pan

My assistant thinks it's coming along great

·
Registered
613 Posts
It actually looks pretty good for that amount of miles. What part of the country are you from

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night I decided to weld up my "hummer style" intake

I have a ton more pictures but my photobucket app is running super slow right now

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remanufactured NV3550

Ford 8.8 and High Pinion Dana 30 both trussed with 4.88 gears

Just have to clean them up and POR15 them after I mock up the rear and weld on the tabs for the antirock swaybar

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never posted last weekends work, finally got the body off with the help of a few friends. Hope to have the floor supports replaced by end of the day Sunday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And my Metalcloak order showed up today, 3.5" short arm rock sport lift, rear spring buckets, fuel skid

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just think this is a funny picture, all standing around "staring at metal" as the wives like to say, taking turns sipping our beer and saying "yep"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow awesome work so far.

The ford 8.8 and HP d30 did you get those from the guy out in Colorado, I think his shop is SFF

Was thinking of ordering the same, let us know how they are
Thank you! Yes the axles came from SFF, when I get everything done I'll be sure to report back in the axles

·
Registered
250 Posts
Subscribed... doing very similar thing to my 1999 right now, without the nice axles and long arm kit lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last night I welded up the drivers side floor support and forgot to take pictures but no worries as it was pretty much the same as the passengers side floor support that I did post pictures of. After that I decided to see just how much I'm going to hate these rear body mount locations the drivers side isn't too bad that'll be an easy fix

Just have to cut out what's left of the factory fastener and weld in my own

The passengers side is going to take a bit more work

Everything was so badly rotted I ended up cutting everything out

Once I drill the spot welds and remove what's left of the support I'll weld up a new section and it'll be good as new

·
Registered
808 Posts
Diggin' the build. Respect to you for taking on that much rust.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you! Yes the axles came from SFF, when I get everything done I'll be sure to report back in the axles
I am also very interested in hearing back on this as well. I have heard very mixed things about his work and trying to decide between him and ECGS. Cheers mate and fantastic job on your work so far!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts