Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between my last jeep and current jeep I've had 4 different types of shocks so far. Stock (ok), RC 2.2 (suck bad), skyjacker hydros (suck), and JK rubicon monotubes (ok). I have 2.5" springs (I think they are skyjacker from the PO) and a 1" BL. I'm doing the DIY fender lift to clear 35s at this lift height (actually it could clear 37s with the same clearance I have on my current 31s with no rubbing issues). I have ~ 1" bump stop extensions now and don't plan to extend them ever, but maybe remove them if possible. I'm open to all ideas including coil overs and even long arms with this low lift. I'll be going to 17" wheels to clear 13" brakes, and its a rubicon so I have the stock d44s. I want the jeep to be SUPER smooth on the road and mellow trails, even without airing down. I'll obviously air down of any moderate trails. I know cornering will suffer a bit and understand that you can't have great cornering and a super smooth ride. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I run Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks on my LJ (3" lift, 33s).
It doesn't ride like a caddy on any setting.

In fact, my LJ doesn't ride as good as my BIL's 2010 stock JK, on any setting.

MY LJ rides way better than my old CJ, but its still a truck, as my wife likes to point out after a few hours in the passenger seat...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks on my LJ (3" lift, 33s).
It doesn't ride like a caddy on any setting.
Bummer, I was thinking the ranchos might be a possibility on setting 0. I know it can be done because my friends WJ with solid axles rides 100x better than mine. I'm not sure if its suspension geometry, springs, or shocks that play the biggest role. His arms are longer for sure.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
On 0 there is way too much rebound. I only use 0 for slow offroad. Best setting for onroad, compromise between smoothness and rebound control, is setting 3 (of 9).

Thanks to winter road salt, my 9000XLs don't adjust anymore; the adjuster rusted beyond repair... and I don't have the receipt to get the lifetime replacement warranty.
Hopefully that won't be problem for you in SD... :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Make sure you don't have a lift with too high a coil rate. The lower you go the smoother your ride will be. BUT if you go to light you will bottom out too easily and/or have next to no cargo capacity. My front coils are a 158 lb/in and my rears are 150 lb/in - very smooth.

Checking to see that your control arms are not bound up and freely move like they should (obviously not to a point of being loose tho) will make a big difference also. Control arms with Johnny joints seem to be smoother, but over all feel like there is less control - fits a Caddy like ride however :)

The rancho adjustable shocks should be good for being able to dial in the rest of it. My OME's float around pretty nicely as well and no worrying about adjustments.

·
Registered
422 Posts
On 0 there is way too much rebound. I only use 0 for slow offroad. Best setting for onroad, compromise between smoothness and rebound control, is setting 3 (of 9).

Thanks to winter road salt, my 9000XLs don't adjust anymore; the adjuster rusted beyond repair... and I don't have the receipt to get the lifetime replacement warranty.
Hopefully that won't be problem for you in SD... :)

i had those and mine came with the remote control. i bought it off guy on ebay and all brand new. i called the company and they sent me the new elbows for it. so call them and they prob will send you new knobs for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts