Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MD or state wide interested parties:

For months I've had this idea about protecting the front bumper from "throw out" or that forward dirt and mud sling thats left on the front bumper of many of our jeeps.

Though many of you may not care if you have this unsightly mess left on your jeeps from bumpers.. I do and I've made a point to do soemthign about it.

I took notice of how the Euro Jeep wranglers front bumper is nearly a full coverage wrap around.. But more and more Jeep wranglers (without having any new or upgraded bull bars installed) are leaving these areas open.

I wanted to create an air dam, mud guard located on the front bumper just in front of the tire within the fender and wheel well.. I would custom mold or cut some mud flaps and mount them to the outer most area (unusage area) part of the bumper..

Most have even simply cut this part of the bumper off and or replaced these areas with bumper caps.. We are intending to keep our bumper as is or untill feather notice.. in other words.. we don't have plans to have the front bumper exchnaged for a bullbar etc.

So I'm offering two way to acquire this idea:
  • I can send you a measured drawing/template so you can do the retrofitting yourself.
  • or I can do the work myself, a few simple cuts and I can have these mud guards for your jeep.
I've attempted to psot the pic here, but it's over sized. Therefor You can see what I'm talking about at my blog page or this imape link.

http://wranglerworld.blog.com/files/2012/10/100_15921.jpg

Image above: Just temp fitted onto the bumper just to see what it will look like.. Looking for screws now.. and will blog about the installation soon.

If interested, I'm sure we can work something out. So just pm me with your suggections or comments about this project.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your Not Going To Believe This Follow Up

I've been psoting my blogs and then forwarding them to facebook and twitter and a few other sites.. Just so happens (on Twitter) Husky liners has been following me from day one.. They took notice of my blog artical about this project..

Then I get a tweet this morning from them (early one too) they said that they are tring their exsisting mud gaurds in the area I've been working.. I'm getting the idea that they might alter their guards in order to make them fit behind the front bumper just infront of the tire in the wheel well.. Matter of fact they said "That love the idea"

For me it was just an idea I had, whcih I tend to have more then my share when dealing with off roading and our jeep. Sort of making things up as we go along.. on the fly or adlib..

I can't say if Husky liners is acutally going to alter their preexsisting guards to fit where I've been working.. But anything is possable.. So if your not going to replace your front bumper with a bull bar etc.. and your tired of the forward sling out, Maybe my guards could help you too..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I was looking for a piece to attach behind the wheel, that does not interfered with the wheel, a small piece of metal to stop mud from kicking back (just not mud flaps)! Jimbo has some custom ones his rig.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great to know Gonzo.. But because I cut the flaps back (smaller) they dont flap or sag and hold their shape.. These flaps are very stiff and mount to the bumper but are long enough to fit up inside the area between the fender and wheel well moldings.. So I can't deside if I want o go ahead and mount these because Husky liners sent another tweet.. they told em that the engeaneers are working on altering the preexsisting mud guards to for for my app.. So Great News to those who might be interested in these (offically Known as) "Sling Guards" or thats my name for it.. there is even word.. HL might make these sling guards a "Wrangler World" exclusive.. Follow my page or tweets for more details and thansk for reading.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final word: Turn out Husky Liners is going to produce these sling guards.. However not going to be any time soon.. at least according to them.. not before the sema show.. But remind you.. sema has two shows a year.. But my thought was to go ahead and install my home made sling guards.. at least that what Husky has told me.. So what am I getting out of this?.. I hope a free set of sling guards.. but more over.. the knowing that soemone out there is reading and lsiting to their customers.. Thx Husky liners & Wrangler forums for your support.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never say Final Word.. Husky Liners is goign through with creating these "Sling Guards" thou not having them ready by this years Sema show.. they will let me know when they have soemthing ready.. Although I've sent this past weekend traveling PA and MD I did find tiem to install my home made sling guards.. Crudely done.. It does give Husky the generql idea of how the sling guards shoudl work. Acting like an Air Dam, then a sling guard.. these home made guards went on a 6 hour plus drive and I didn't see any noticable wear.. Thou mounted just in a few spots.. I've asked Husky liners to forward 8 of their screws used to mount thier mud guards.. So now it's just a waiting game and I'm being held in the loop as Husky liners calls it when they have soemthign ready for our Jeep Wrangler.. If you want to read more about this on going project: wranglerworld.blog.com (search Sling Guards)

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grr.. Why Me

blog is gone!
Yep you guessed it.. Over winter the site had been corrupted (because I no longer have a computer at home, I coulnt maintian the site as I'd hoped) and I was forced to shut it down. However, just a few weeks ago, I recalled that tumblr had my old site which I have saved to use as image storage.

Thou many of the images were losts, I still had a few post to work with.. So yes the Blog is back up and we are planing to blog and include new upgrades and adventures.

Oh BTW.. about those forward mud sling guards.. after having them on our jeep wrangler for more than two months.. I felt that there was an extreme nose dive when driving and I've removed the home made guards.

Also, The Husky Liner mud guards I installed last spring went through hell and where more of a hinerance. So I wanted to keep them but did some alterations.. actually cutting 3/4 of the mud guards off to appear like slim guards.. Persoanlly I may have cut to much off the guards.. But we like the slim look.

http://wranglerworld.tumblr.com/post/45495821365/update-husky-liners-mud-guards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts