Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Barricade Mid Width Bumper

The Barricade mid width bumper from Extreme Terrain was a good deal during one of the recent sales.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-front-bumper-j20850.html

The videos about this bumper indicated that the hardest part about the install was taking off the bumper. As it turns out, the videos on Youtube sucked. A simple ⅜” ratchet with a tilting head and two different depth 18mm sockets allowed me to zip the bumper off in 10 minutes.

Good thing... it was 30 degrees in the garage... BRRR..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Xprite Fog Lamps

Hooked up Xprite fog lamps to match the Procomp headlight color temperature. Since I am running my fogs as daytime running lamps, a pretest was done to make sure they function, for both anti-flicker and as a DRL before attaching them to the bumper. Bolting them into the bumper proved to be the most challenging part of the whole bumper install with my big hands, small screws and smaller spaces. Another bonus with these lights, are that they come with a harness that is long enough to connect into the existing one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015X1EW3G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bolted the Barricade to the Jeep with a total install time of about 1.5 hours including me trying to keep warm in between. The OEM bumper weighs in at 35lbs and the new Barricade is 79lbs. Interestingly enough my steering has felt “light” which I think is a result of adding the tire carrier, rear bumper and 35” tire to the booty. My hope is that by adding the new front bumper and soon a winch that should add some weight to the front steering. Adding 45lbs to front end did not drop the front end more than a ¼”.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had to travel a lot the last two months. Rotated the Patagonia's with 6,000 miles since installation. Ran them through snow, ice and rain at 30psi. All 4 measured 17/32".

One of the discount guys thinks I can get 60k out of them at this pace. I'm sure, I will get tired of the them long before that and want to try on something new.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Smittybilt X20 Winch

Never felt like I needed a winch until I moved up here. So for more self comfort added a Smittybilt X20 10k. Install was easy, taking about 2 hours with my mistakes. Adding the winch added a 64lbs to the front. Front end only dropped a 1/4" and feels more stable at speed. Hopefully that high speed boat feeling goes away soon as I stretch it's legs on the freeway. I'm planning on wheeling with some of the Idaho folks in the next few weeks and they highly recommended a winch. None of them spit on my my winch choice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Nice addition:thumb: Ya don't need one until you need one:happyyes:

Your build is looking good! Keep up the nice work Amigo.

-Steven

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks great! I’m a bit confused by one part though. all 2017 -2018 Rubi’s came stock with LED headlights and fog lights. I wonder why yours were halogen hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looks great! I’m a bit confused by one part though. all 2017 -2018 Rubi’s came stock with LED headlights and fog lights. I wonder why yours were halogen hmmmm.
Thanks for compliment!

Interestingly enough, mine was built in USA imported to Canada, then imported back into the USA where I bought it used. I suspect it was a standard in the USA to come with LEDs stock perhaps not Canadian Rubi's?

It also seems like an enigma color combo. Red top should in my opinion have color matched bumpers. I always look at the Jeep and think something is off. Tentatively I am going for a roof rack that will darken the top and then possibly do color matched fenders of some type. Along with that the local dealer here seems to buy quite a few of these from Canada, so there are more up here with that color mismatch.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Rubi Rail Adjustment

Turns out the Rubi rails are rubbing the tires at full flex. So it was time to chop an inch and a quarter off my rails. Failed with the chop saw with a metal blade. Perhaps it was the fact that I had cut a bunch of plastic fence with it last summer. Stenched up the house for the rest of the day. Cutting it with the Sawzall was faster and straight enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Finally made it out wheeling Saturday to the ORV Park in Spokane as part of a cleanup day. Initially, we thought we would just be there for about 30 minutes and did not bother to air down. The park turned out to be bigger than I expected along with more varied terrain. The park had ice, about 10 inches of wet snow, water holes, some rock, and lots of sandy soft muddy hills. Thus the decision to not deflate the tires was a bad decision and I ended up disappointed.

Aired down to 8psi on the Patagonia's and took it back in. What a difference. Took it into some twisty gullies, then climbed everything I wanted, which was a few more than the wife wanted. Along the way dived in and out of an icy water hole that had previously stuck a Toyota. 8psi, on non-beadlock wheels, crazy successful.

Land vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Car Windshield Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Glass

Found one beer can and never used the winch.. Still a fun day, even the boys got some snow wheeling in
Snow Winter Freezing Ice Play

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Finally made it out wheeling Saturday to the ORV Park in Spokane as part of a cleanup day. Initially, we thought we would just be there for about 30 minutes and did not bother to air down. The park turned out to be bigger than I expected along with more varied terrain. The park had ice, about 10 inches of wet snow, water holes, some rock, and lots of sandy soft muddy hills. Thus the decision to not deflate the tires was a bad decision and I ended up disappointed.

Aired down to 8psi on the Patagonia's and took it back in. What a difference. Took it into some twisty gullies, then climbed everything I wanted, which was a few more than the wife wanted. Along the way dived in and out of an icy water hole that had previously stuck a Toyota. 8psi, on non-beadlock wheels, crazy successful.

View attachment 4136055 View attachment 4136057

Found one beer can and never used the winch.. Still a fun day, even the boys got some snow wheeling in
View attachment 4136059
Ahhhh...that moment when you realize what your Jeep is capable of:thumb: Fantastic right:happyyes:

You have twins? Getting everyone out into nature and scaring the wife little, well done! Looks like a successful weekend.

-Steven

Reactions: XxSullyxX123

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ahhhh...that moment when you realize what your Jeep is capable of:thumb: Fantastic right:happyyes:

You have twins? Getting everyone out into nature and scaring the wife little, well done! Looks like a successful weekend.

-Steven
Steven,

Twin boys were quite the surprise! 4 months after they were born, we took em up to Argentine Pass in Colorado for some mountain fresh air in the WK. I try to get them out as much as possible. Kids become too addicted to electronics these days.

Off-roading Vehicle Off-road vehicle Regularity rally Car

This past weekend was indeed a good weekend and it looks like spring is in the air here in the PNW. We are gonna try Pinehurst this coming weekend.

Jim

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wow, 8 psi? I still haven't gotten out on my Patagonias, but on my stock KMs I don't think I ever went lower than about 15. Pretty good flex with them I assume?

I'm hoping to at least get in a day trip down to our Hollister off road park in the next couple weeks, we'll see how low I have the confidence to go. I feel like I should maybe keep it a bit higher since I'm still on the stock skinny rims.

I suppose I should also trim my rails per your prior post before hitting the trails. I just messed around with my front suspension flex this past weekend (with jacks at home) and took out an inch of bump stop, MetalCloak had recommended 3" with stock fenders and 35s, but I guess these aren't really 35s so 2" still gave plenty of clearance to the fenders. It did start to lightly rub the swaybar link at full stuff and lock, but I think that's OK as that's a bit of an unusual position that I don't expect to spend a ton of time in.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Steven,

Twin boys were quite the surprise! 4 months after they were born, we took em up to Argentine Pass in Colorado for some mountain fresh air in the WK. I try to get them out as much as possible. Kids become too addicted to electronics these days.

View attachment 4136143

This past weekend was indeed a good weekend and it looks like spring is in the air here in the PNW. We are gonna try Pinehurst this coming weekend.

Jim
That's awesome, you're giving them a love for nature that will last a lifetime. Plus, wide open spaces can be good for bleeding off a little extra energy right?

What's next on your build?

-Steven

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wow, 8 psi? I still haven't gotten out on my Patagonias, but on my stock KMs I don't think I ever went lower than about 15. Pretty good flex with them I assume?

I'm hoping to at least get in a day trip down to our Hollister off road park in the next couple weeks, we'll see how low I have the confidence to go. I feel like I should maybe keep it a bit higher since I'm still on the stock skinny rims.

I suppose I should also trim my rails per your prior post before hitting the trails. I just messed around with my front suspension flex this past weekend (with jacks at home) and took out an inch of bump stop, MetalCloak had recommended 3" with stock fenders and 35s, but I guess these aren't really 35s so 2" still gave plenty of clearance to the fenders. It did start to lightly rub the swaybar link at full stuff and lock, but I think that's OK as that's a bit of an unusual position that I don't expect to spend a ton of time in.
It was crazy how much traction I gained at 8psi. The wife actually ran one down to 5psi and the tire really started to bulge before we put air back in it. The local gurus had recommended 5 psi, so blending the tire warranty with being only 5 miles from town, it seemed like a good time to risk it. Snow wheeling feels very different then the trails I spent the last 20 years with in Colorado. During the winter in CO, we went skiing instead and I never had lockers. So much fun to learn new features.

I have had very good results at 15psi on stock rims with other tires and in your environment, it should be a great fit! 18-20psi might be a great place to start to push that comfort level without wigging you out.

Along with that, you probably do not have to trim that rubi rail since I am only at 2" while you are at 3".

That's awesome, you're giving them a love for nature that will last a lifetime. Plus, wide open spaces can be good for bleeding off a little extra energy right?

What's next on your build?

-Steven
Although I have a bunch of projects looming for spring, most pressing is the added weight with the simple puck lift. The Jeep is listing 3/4" to the passenger side and I get an occasional rub on the back wheel at flex. With eventual plans to tow a camper, it is time to start looking at suspension changes.

Along the way, I'll bolt on stuff that has been stacking up in the garage.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Idaho Man

Me: Do you think I can drive over that snow pile?
Neighbor: Nope
Me: Challenge ACCEPTED!

2 minutes later, I am high centered a hundred feet from my garage.

Over the next 10 minutes I decide it is a great time to test the new winch. While I spool out rope, the neighbors break out chairs and popcorn. Good news, winch works, I successfully drag the Xterra out of the garage.

I resign myself to a shovel and have it dug out enough to drive it off in 3 minutes. It is crazy how fast we dug it out. Figured the winch would be faster. Lesson learn'd

All-in-all a slightly embarassing fun moment that seems like it should have started with “Hold my Beer”

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Snow wheeling

Finally got out for some real wheeling this weekend with the local club:

Crazy low air pressure in deep snow is OK - Ran my tires down to 6psi as recommended, developed a nervous twitch as we rolled a mile out of town onto the trail. Pavement time 5 minutes at around 30mph. Some of the seasoned wheelers were running 2psi without bead locks. Encountered mud, rocks but mostly deep snow. Traction was darned good in the morning with the Patagonias but either the conditions degraded or I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Winching is not just hook up and go - There is actually a whole bunch of technique to “proper” winching. Angles, blocks, when to use the vehicle… and so many other variables

X20 winch is amazing - It has four pulls on it without a hiccup. 100 feet away, and the wireless remote hooks right up when I push the button.

I have a lot to learn

Attachments

21 - 40 of 124 Posts