Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Finally got out for some real wheeling this weekend with the local club:

Crazy low air pressure in deep snow is OK - Ran my tires down to 6psi as recommended, developed a nervous twitch as we rolled a mile out of town onto the trail. Pavement time 5 minutes at around 30mph. Some of the seasoned wheelers were running 2psi without bead locks. Encountered mud, rocks but mostly deep snow. Traction was darned good in the morning with the Patagonias but either the conditions degraded or I did.
Snow conditions can change quickly - I had “fair” traction in the morning. In the afternoon, it seemed like I could not keep the Jeep on the trail.
Winching is not just hook up and go - There is actually a whole bunch of technique to “proper” winching. Angles, blocks, when to use the vehicle… and so many other variables

X20 winch is amazing - It has four pulls on it without a hiccup. 100 feet away, and the wireless remote hooks right up when I push the button.

I have a lot to learn
Great info:thumb: You've expanded on what I thought was possible with non-beadlocks and tire pressure!

Snow conditions can be so tricky, I learned that in Ouray this past fall.

That winch was a great mod for you, you put it right to work:happyyes: Is a compressor system/compressed air your next mod?

-Steven

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Great info:thumb: You've expanded on what I thought was possible with non-beadlocks and tire pressure!

Snow conditions can be so tricky, I learned that in Ouray this past fall.

That winch was a great mod for you, you put it right to work:happyyes: Is a compressor system/compressed air your next mod?

-Steven
X20 has been one of my fave mods so far.

Airing up 4 tires over 20 minutes with the Viair 88p is acceptable, so I have been working on small projects.

Moving to the forefront during this outing made it evident from the occasional rubbing that lift modification is necessary. If anything, for my sanity. That upgrade that is coming more sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Rattle and Roll

Had a rattle up in the front foot well since I bought the Jeep. While I was wiring up the backup camera recently I pulled out the glove compartment and I found some treasures tucked into the back!

Eyewear Glasses Sunglasses Personal protective equipment Vision care

:whacky: Boom... Rattles gone :atomic:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Cabin Fever

Attended Cabin Fever this weekend and ran a trail named Roller Coaster and part of one named Palisade. Bottomed out a few times on the whoops and doos.

Ran the tires at 9psi. Even on some sharp rocks.

I see more elevation in my future.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Rancho 3" Progressive Sport System

Installed the Rancho RS66110B 3-3.5" Progressive Sport System kit over the weekend. Could not find any information on this kit but decided to go with it. It put the Jeep back into a proper stance alleviating the sag I was getting from the OEM springs setup on spacers.

2018 - 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4 Door - 3-3.5-in. Progressive Sport System - RS66110B - Rancho® Performance Suspension & Shocks

- I do still have a small "JK lean" and may consider a ½” spacer in the back passenger corner. RS9000s are installed but the rears were dented in shipping so I am not 100% in love with it yet.

- Did not appreciate is drilling the rear sway bar holes to move the sway bar mounting point up instead of sending longer links. I picked up 12.25” links and they seem long as the rear sway bar seems flat, and I think I need a slight downward angle to it. Probably should just drill the holes and be done.

-Kit so far it steers better than my last configuration and I have not even had it aligned. That seems odd, since I gained one inch over my last configuration.

-Not as Cush as the OEM Springs and Shocks with RC Spacers, but I still have to adjust the RS9000s.

-It took two weeks to ship, frustrating communication with the vendor.
Took me 6-8 hours to install since I mostly BS’d with a Jeep friend and had to keep my twins from being jack stands.

-Stance is definitely more beefy

-No vibes

-No droop problems at the front so far, but I have to investigate that under further stress

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
VDP Storage

Installed VDP under seat storage. Seems like it takes up too much leg room and I keep hitting my calf on it. Had some items inside, they slid all over the place even though the drawer is padded. Neat idea, just not for me at 5'11" and the seat pushed all the way back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Rear Sway Bar

Turns out from all the web gurus the sway bar is supposed to be flat +/- a few degrees. Strapped those 12.25" Teraflex links on in five minutes.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
G2 5.13 Gears

Had some G2 5.13 gears installed

Initially, it is not one of my favorite mods

-Haven't really romped on it, but there is good acceleration coming off the light and merging on freeway feels good.
-At 75mph it feels torquey and twitchy, but I am probably being overly sensitive
-Fuel economy improved by 1mpg
-I started looking at 37s soon after getting it up to highway speeds
-Still have to drop it on a trail and pull a camper with it

At this point, for everyday driving, in hindsight, my 3.73s were fine on 315s. 4.88s with a slushbox are probably a better combo, but with plans to pull a trailer and 37s as an eventual goal, these should work out fine.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Had some G2 5.13 gears installed

Initially, it is not one of my favorite mods

-Haven't really romped on it, but there is good acceleration coming off the light and merging on freeway feels good.
-At 75mph it feels torquey and twitchy, but I am probably being overly sensitive
-Fuel economy improved by 1mpg
-I started looking at 37s soon after getting it up to highway speeds
-Still have to drop it on a trail and pull a camper with it

At this point, for everyday driving, in hindsight, my 3.73s were fine on 315s. 4.88s with a slushbox are probably a better combo, but with plans to pull a trailer and 37s as an eventual goal, these should work out fine.
When I was getting ready to re-gear for 37's I spent a lot of time researching 4.88's or 5:13's. I was eventually able to speak with those who had personal experience with each. It came down to this, 5:13's if your pulling something(boat or camper), 4.88's for solo Jeep. 4:88's are the sweet spot for interstate cruising(solo). I think you made the right choice for your build plans.

-Steven

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
When I was getting ready to re-gear for 37's I spent a lot of time researching 4.88's or 5:13's. I was eventually able to speak with those who had personal experience with each. It came down to this, 5:13's if your pulling something(boat or camper), 4.88's for solo Jeep. 4:88's are the sweet spot for interstate cruising(solo). I think you made the right choice for your build plans.

-Steven

Thanks Steven. I agree, that the appreciation will probably come later as the plans unfold.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Poison Spyder Diff Cover and Lube Lockers

During the gear re-check installed some Poison Spyder differential covers with Lube Lockers. It was probably the contact high I had from my patient earlier that day that made me do it.

Again, can't see an immediate benefit from it. It is easy to see why people go to the mall light bars and wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Camping

Next day, hooked it up to the camper and dragged it south for the weekend.

Google maps offered us several different routes and I chose one that took us in from a direction we had never traveled. Camper handled nice all the way down mostly 2 lane roads upwards of 65mph.

Our destination was a rugged state park with some primitive sites that none of my friends had heard of. "The road is not safe for large RVs or trailers and it may be too rough for your family car, but if you've got a suitable rig and are willing to explore, you won't be disappointed." My kind of park :worthy::winner:

That decision to come in a different route presented the "rough" as soon as we entered the park. With deep ruts and the road narrowing very quickly on a climb from 2200ft to 4000ft in 2 miles, the wife asked if I made a wrong turn. I climbed confidently trusting google maps as the cedars closed in and started to add Idaho pin striping to the camper.

She says, "what if you have to back up"? I answer with pride, it is plenty wide, we can make it just two miles more. It was at that point I rounded a corner to find a two foot wide tree lying 1/3 of the way across the trail.

We hopped out and surveyed it. I contemplated using the trusty winch and a snatch block to pull it up off the trail, but decided (like an idiot) to try to squeeze the Jeep and camper through. 50% success and a missed Kodak moment. Alas, the tree stuck out a foot too far to pull the camper through. We then shimmied and bounced the tree for the next ten minutes to clear it. Thankfully other than the trail getting more narrow with trees we were able to make it to our campsite.

Our destination was amazing! We went exploring in the Jeep the next few days and found some cool trails with no one around. Twas a good Fathers Day weekend complete with a bit of challenges.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Grab Handles

Cause everyone enjoys a good grab handle. Hooke Road was kind enough to provide forum members with an item if they followed a few social media steps. Installed these Wild Boar grab handles.

- They come with no directions, but it was easy enough to figure out.
- Would prefer the version that if it has a logo, the logo is right side up.
- MY WIFE LOVES THEM! This will keep me from having to get upgraded rock rails for a while :D

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
- Would prefer the version that if it has a logo, the logo is right side up :D
If you twist the grip around 180 degrees won’t it be right side up?

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
Next day, hooked it up to the camper and dragged it south for the weekend.

Google maps offered us several different routes and I chose one that took us in from a direction we had never traveled. Camper handled nice all the way down mostly 2 lane roads upwards of 65mph.

Our destination was a rugged state park with some primitive sites that none of my friends had heard of. "The road is not safe for large RVs or trailers and it may be too rough for your family car, but if you've got a suitable rig and are willing to explore, you won't be disappointed." My kind of park :worthy::winner:

That decision to come in a different route presented the "rough" as soon as we entered the park. With deep ruts and the road narrowing very quickly on a climb from 2200ft to 4000ft in 2 miles, the wife asked if I made a wrong turn. I climbed confidently trusting google maps as the cedars closed in and started to add Idaho pin striping to the camper.

She says, "what if you have to back up"? I answer with pride, it is plenty wide, we can make it just two miles more. It was at that point I rounded a corner to find a two foot wide tree lying 1/3 of the way across the trail.

We hopped out and surveyed it. I contemplated using the trusty winch and a snatch block to pull it up off the trail, but decided (like an idiot) to try to squeeze the Jeep and camper through. 50% success and a missed Kodak moment. Alas, the tree stuck out a foot too far to pull the camper through. We then shimmied and bounced the tree for the next ten minutes to clear it. Thankfully other than the trail getting more narrow with trees we were able to make it to our campsite.

Our destination was amazing! We went exploring in the Jeep the next few days and found some cool trails with no one around. Twas a good Fathers Day weekend complete with a bit of challenges.
where is this? We are headed over to the Liberty Lake state park campground tomorrow for 4 days. If you are bored and in the area stop by and say hi.

Reactions: Shadowmaker
41 - 60 of 124 Posts