Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed all old suspension parts late last week. Finished the install of the 2.5" Teraflex coil/shock lift over the weekend. I also added an adjustable front track bar, and a new steering stabilizer (both Teraflex). Today, I will be dropping the Jeep off for an alignment and to have a 2nd pair of eyes go over all of the connections I made to make sure they're all torqued down correctly.

I took it out for a couple of test drives yesterday to shake out a few things here and there. It took a few tries to get the front axle aligned where I wanted it, but the adjustable track bar made the alignment of the axle pretty easy. I still think something is awry because now when I make any kind of turn to the left at speeds over 20, traction control kicks in and does what TC does. It tracks straight, nothing is rattling or shaking around...it feels solid. So, I'm hoping that a proper alignment will shake out any remaining cobwebs.

A few things...
FIRST, the bump stop extensions were an absolute PITA to install. They never popped into place...no matter what I tried...and I tried everything. I wound up bolting them into place (using a couple of big washers) with a bolt coming from above and the nut hiding up inside the bump stop. It worked, but it's not the most elegant of approaches. Once those were in place, the instructions state that you're supposed to push the old bump stops up into the new bump stop extensions...which only leaves 2"-3" of clearance between the BS and the axle. Seems like there should be more space...may have to do a bit more work in this area.

SECOND, getting the front springs over the bump stop extensions and bump stops was not the first thing I would've preferred to spend 2 hours doing on a Saturday night...but I was NOT going to let those springs defeat me...and they didn't. It just took a lot of patience, wiggling, wrestling, cussing, etc. I think I may have heard angels singing when the passenger side spring finally popped into place.

LASTLY, everything else was actually pretty easy. My new cordless impact wrench was my best friend during the install. I don't know that I could've done this project without it. The install is certainly not rocket surgery...especially if you watch Tereflex's video on installation...of course their bump stop extensions pop right into place, and they have no issues with the springs. In real life, there WILL be cussing and there WILL be areas in which you will feel like you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. But, patience and ingenuity will see you through.

I'm willing to answer any questions for those who are contemplating a suspension upgrade now that I've actually done one. Now I just have to wait on my wheels/tires to be delivered. 315/70 MT ATZ P3's on 17" MT Classic III (black). Surprisingly, the lift doesn't look too horribly ridiculous on the stock 17" with 31" BFG's, but it's gonna look [Peter Griffin]friggin schweet[/Peter Griffin] with the new wheels/tires! I'll post a pic a little later if I can.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I hate those upper stops just for the fact of removing the coils. If i were you i would of left them out, cycled the axle with shock in place and measured for bumpstop. You want just enough to keep the shock from over compressing. Lets say you need 2", take 2 hockey pucks, drill the pucks and lower perch. Then you can get the coil in and install/bolt up the stop (through the coil). Simple as cake and you now are utilizing all available up travel.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel a little crazy saying this, but I think you might be right...I would've been better off going the hockey puck route...and I may postpone taking the Jeep for an alignment until I pull the front end apart again and take your approach. 2-3 inches of travel is just stupid. I just hate having to take it all apart again...but I want this to be RIGHT.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I feel a little crazy saying this, but I think you might be right...I would've been better off going the hockey puck route...and I may postpone taking the Jeep for an alignment until I pull the front end apart again and take your approach. 2-3 inches of travel is just stupid. I just hate having to take it all apart again...but I want this to be RIGHT.
Youll find it much easier the 2nd time around.
Did you make sure to loosen all the CA bolts ?

Fyi all you need to measure is one side
- disco lower shock bolt
- disco lower swaybar bolts
- remove 10mm brake bracket bolt from frame
- lower axle and remove coil
- raise axle enough to get the lower shock bolt back in
- raise axle until shock compresses fully
- measure distance between metal bump stop
- minus 1/4 to 1/2 and thats your stop amount
- reverse steps

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL...yeah, I'm finding that going back and readdressing various things a 2nd (or even 3rd time) is making things seem shockingly familiar.

I had everything loosened...so much so that the brake lines and TC stuff were pretty much stretched to the limit, even with their brackets disco'd.

BTW, thanks for the bulleted instructions...seems very straight forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts