Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a TJ of my very own. My wife has had her TJ for about 15 years and now we each have our own. His and Hers.

Anyhow, a little about how it will be used. We live on an island in SE Alaska so it will never see a freeway unless we ship it South to Washington state. It will see some winter snow and visit a couple of logging roads. Also, in the summer I will use it to pull a couple of Sea Doo's a mile or so to the ramp and back.

I do want to spend a little time in the fall and spring each year doing a little customization.

I have two sets of full width axles that I am considering swapping in. The swap I am leaning toward is a high pinion D44/9" 65 inch WMS. I would pick up some 8" wide wheels with at least a 4" offset and maybe some 7" flares to cover most of the tire. These axles are 4.88 geared with Detroits in both.

I also have a balljoint D60 and a 14 bolt that would both need to be narrowed as they are 69" WMS. They would also need to be geared and would cost more to use especially since I would run a larger tire set with this combination.

Since the Jeep is in good running condition right now there is no huge rush and I can do anything I want with it. I am trying to negotiate a 400 per month budget for it although my wife wants me to cut it to 200 a month.

Someday, I would like to take it someplace and meanwhile I want to enjoy a long term garage project that I can 'improve' a couple of times each year.

So, D44/9" this fall OR D60/14 bolt in a year?

-Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After further thought, I might be better off selling the vehicle with the D44/9" and working on the tons.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
All depends on tire size... going for 40s or 42s? Tons. Max 37s? 44/9"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All depends on tire size... going for 40s or 42s? Tons. Max 37s? 44/9"
Thanks for responding. I doubt I will want to run up in the 40's. My wife is going to be shocked when I scrap the old rust Bronco for parts. It's got a well built 4.9l that I wish I could squeeze under the hood...

0/ Cheers

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You could do minimum 37s with tons but the rear 14 bolt will be an issue. Diff is too big for 37s imo, youll be dragging it through everything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could do minimum 37s with tons but the rear 14 bolt will be an issue. Diff is too big for 37s imo, youll be dragging it through everything.
I think that the cost would be more with the tons as well. Although, I do think that it would be a fun project. Shaving the 14 bolt would be super cool and although it might not have the clearance of the 9" it would probably be okay for snow and logging roads.

It probably would be a good idea to do a tally of costs for both options. At least I don't have to rush into it. Although, I do have the Bronco taking a parking space in my yard. I had thought I would sell the Bronco but the market for rusty vehicles is not that strong. The parts are worth more than the vehicle by a large margin.

I'll make a list next week and see out it looks.

-Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts