Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a long story, but it started May 2012 when I bought a 1992 YJ (4.0/Auto) that had several bad rust spots on the frame and tub. It's 3rd vehicle between my wife and I, so the plan was play around with it, enjoy the sun with the top off and work on it when I could. It turns out the frame was worse than I thought and I decided to replace the frame and tub.

I found a rust free frame with a nice tub and picked it up on a Friday. On Sunday, a 125 ft Maple tree fell and demolished my shop. After forever, I finally got the shop rebuilt (bigger and better), finished up so "honey-dos" that required significant space in the shop.

Last weekend we pulled the donar YJ in and I started dismantling.

I don't have pics of the "roadworthy" just at the moment, so these of the donor will have to do for now.

It's been setting like this in my yard for the last year plus.

It's finally in the shop!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The short plan is to strip it down to the frame and treat the frame for rust prevention, I choose to use KBS Coatings Rust Seal. The tub needs some body work, a coat of paint, and roll-on bedliner inside.

Let the striping begin!

One of the leaf spring bolts was seized inside the spring and I couldn't get it to budge... so I cut.

First day junk parts pile

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised, here are pics of the "roadworthy" Jeep, that I will be replacing the frame and tub on. It has lots of rust all the way around the tub and all of the undercarriage.

Body\Tub

The reverse rake stance comes from a combination of very worn rear leaf springs (almost flat) and 2.5 inch lift springs on the front. The PO took it to a shop for front springs and the shop used the lift springs and the PO didn't know any different.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw where you had posted a start on this in another thread and caught my interest so I clicked your link and looking forward to the build
Thanks, me too!

the rear of your frame looks like mine before I did the repairs. Always lots to do with an old jeep
Yeah, I followed your build and noticed parts of our frames has similar issues. At first, I was going to go the same route as you with the Safe T caps , but there was just too much rust.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get a lot done this weekend due to other projects. I did manage to finish the cleanup of most of the frame. I just have to get to the small tight places and I'll be done cleaning. I was missing a shackle hanger on the front, so I cut the other one off and ordered a new set from M.O.R.E.

At the moment, I'm trying to determine if I have a I4 or I6 donor frame. I know the motor frame mounts are in different locations, but i don't have measurements.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a good mail day today. I got new M.O.R.E front spring shackle hangers that I plan to get the Vo-Tech school to weld on next week... since I'm not real confident in my own welding. And I also got new front and rear poly shackle hanger bushing sets.

My wife and I volunteered to take pictures of homeless dogs tomorrow, so Jeep work may be limited, but I should be able to get a little done.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good luck on your project!
nothing like building Jeeps. :)

I've been enjoying my Tomahawk for about a year now.
Wow! That's nice! I don't suppose you're a Braves fan, too? And nice hood decal, where did you get it if you don't mind telling me? Do you have a build thread? I'd like to see how it came together.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1 - 20 of 451 Posts