Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 2.5L Auto trans and I'm looking into putting 33x12.50's on it.

What gear ratio should I be looking into. I'm aware that the D35 isn't going to take much abuse with these tires and I don't want a locker in it.

When it breaks I have an 8.8 that will be going under it.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
344 Posts

What gear ratio should I be looking into. I'm aware that the D35 isn't going to take much abuse with these tires and I don't want a locker in it.

When it breaks I have an 8.8 that will be going under it.

Thanks,
Bill
Subscribed..

Just wondering though, I feel like the D35 will be able to handle offroad with 33s from what I've read.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,385 Posts

What gear ratio should I be looking into.
I'd go 4.56 Bill, your 3-speed automatic is why I made that recommendation. If you had the 5-speed manual, 4.88 would have been the right choice. The 3-speed needs the slightly higher 4.56 ratio because it doesn't have an overdrive like the 5-speed does.

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
I agree with Jerry. It's great that you're asking the right questions here. Re gearing after a tire change is the best thing you can do for your rig performance wise. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
isnt re-gearing very expensive?
I was quoted $1,400 at the local 4wd shop when I had to have gears replace in the back. I've heard other areas are much cheaper. I didn't have the cash to regear both axles at the same time and I didn't have my new tires yet anyway. He told me to try what I had first (3.73) because some people are fine with them. I like them on the highway, but I hate them on the rocks. One day I'll go all out with lockers and proper gearing. One day.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was quoted $1,400 at the local 4wd shop when I had to have gears replace in the back. I've heard other areas are much cheaper. I didn't have the cash to regear both axles at the same time and I didn't have my new tires yet anyway. He told me to try what I had first (3.73) because some people are fine with them. I like them on the highway, but I hate them on the rocks. One day I'll go all out with lockers and proper gearing. One day.
Well i'm at 33's and 3.07 gears. Would like to regear...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd go 4.56 Bill, your 3-speed automatic is why I made that recommendation. If you had the 5-speed manual, 4.88 would have been the right choice. The 3-speed needs the slightly higher 4.56 ratio because it doesn't have an overdrive like the 5-speed does.
Thanks Jerry. I was actually hoping you would reply. From what I have seen in other threads you are the authority on gear ratios.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have the 5 speed manual in my TJ and thinking about doing the 8.8 axel swap this spring with 4.56 gears. Should I be going with 4.88 instead? 3 1/2 suspension lift running 33's in the summer and 32's in the winter. The only reason for the tire size change is because I don't want to run my polished aluminum rims in the winter and found some factory aluminum's with 32's real cheap on Craigslist. What say you gear and axel swap professionals to this?
I'm currently with 3.07 gears in the Dana 35 and would love to get the disc brakes while I'm making the switch.

KP

·
Registered
33 Posts
It might not have been the smartest move, but I ran 33's on my D35 with stock 3.73 gearing for several years. rock crawling was not fun, more like rock bouncing, but I did several sections of the Rubicon with no issues at all. The jeep FLEW on the highway, even on hills. ;)

Id go for something lower as most people are suggesting.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,385 Posts
isnt re-gearing very expensive?
It's not cheap but neither do you have to agree to the first price a 4x4 shop quotes to do the job either... ask for a discount and negotiate since half of the cost is labor. My last regearing job was under $1100 which included all parts and labor. My first regearing job was around $1300 when I didn't know I could get it done for less by negotiating a little harder. And don't try to shave a few more dollars off the job by buying the parts yourself on the Internet. If there's a problem, which is not uncommon, the installer will just blame your parts. Have the installer provide all the parts which means everything, parts and labor, will be covered by his warranty.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,385 Posts
Be wary of how the data in such charts is interpreted since the rpms shown on that chart are NOT what you'll get on the highway with the 5-speed or 4-speed automatic... those rpms are all at a 1:1 final drive ratio which means they are not what you'll see on the highway unless you have the old 3-speed automatic. So for example if you had a 5-speed transmission, those rpms are what you would see in 4th gear, not 5th gear which is an overdrive ratio.

Such chart have caused MANY inexperienced Jeepers to seriously undergear their Jeep causing them to wonder why their Jeep doesn't perform as well as they expected or hoped it would after the regearing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just priced an 8.8 out of a 97 Explorer with over 200k. Was a front collision and has 4.10 gears. They want $200 for it. Since I would have to regear anyways the mileage shouldn't be that much of a concern right? Do the seals come with gear kits or is that something to be purchased separate? Just trying to figure out costs and if I would be better off just buying one from east coast that is ready to bolt on. I definitely want to put a locker in as well.

Jerry, did you see my previous post above about which gear set to use? 6 cylinder 3 1/2 suspension lift etc.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,385 Posts
Jerry, did you see my previous post above about which gear set to use? 6 cylinder 3 1/2 suspension lift etc.
4.56 would be ideal for your 33" tires, 4.10 would be better for your wintertime 32" tires. I dunno, that's a judgement call on which you'd rather be geared ideally for. I definitely would not regear to 4.88 without 35" tires.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks Jerry. Your advice is always welcomed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts