Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm looking for the proper steps to locking and unlocking my axles. This is my 3rd Wrangler but first Rubicon. After getting both lights solid and doing my thing, as I go to disengage the lockers the rear never stops blinking until I shut off my Jeep and start it again... Am I rolling to fast, not fast enough?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Having a 10 rubicon since new, I thought the best info. would actually be straight from the book:
The AXLE LOCK switch is located on the instrument panel (to the left of the steering column).
Axle Lock Switch
This feature will only activate when the following conditions are met:
• Key in ignition, vehicle in 4L (Low) range.
• Vehicle speed should be 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
To activate the system, press the bottom of the AXLE LOCK switch once to lock the rear axle only (the “Rear Axle Lock Indicator Light” will illuminate), press the bottom of the switch again to lock the front axle (the “Front Axle Lock Indicator Light” will illuminate). When the rear axle is locked, pressing the switch again will lock or unlock the front axle.
NOTE: The indicator lights will flash until the axles are fully locked or unlocked.
To unlock the axles, press the top of the AXLE LOCK switch.

If you're finding that after a reasonable amount of time, a minute or two at the most, that the locker won't fully disengage bring it in. There have been some problems with axle sensors and solenoids.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My method is to approach a big scary obstacle/ledge/climb. Press the axle lock button and watch the light mock me with it flashing. Get to the obstacle/ledge/climb and now start praying for Devine intervention. Lockers engage and you clear the obstacle. Breathe a sigh of relief and then turn the front locker on and off a half dozen times until you remember the correct button sequence to shut off the lockers. Wave at the people watching like it was no big deal.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My method is to approach a big scary obstacle/ledge/climb. Press the axle lock button and watch the light mock me with it flashing. Get to the obstacle/ledge/climb and now start praying for Devine intervention. Lockers engage and you clear the obstacle. Breathe a sigh of relief and then turn the front locker on and off a half dozen times until you remember the correct button sequence to shut off the lockers. Wave at the people watching like it was no big deal.
Yep. That single switch kinda sucks. I guess it has to do with idiot proofing for liability sake.

I had electric lockers installed in my XJ several years ago. Real simple, two lighted switches, one front one rear. Switch/light on for locker in, switch light off for locker off.

If not for the CAN BUS integration, I'd re-wire my JK the same way as my XJ.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hello all,
I'm looking for the proper steps to locking and unlocking my axles. This is my 3rd Wrangler but first Rubicon. After getting both lights solid and doing my thing, as I go to disengage the lockers the rear never stops blinking until I shut off my Jeep and start it again... Am I rolling to fast, not fast enough?
Are pressing the top of the switch. The bottom part of the switch turns the lockers on. Pressing it at the top turns them off.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
If you are in a turn or off camber when you go to disengage them, sometimes it takes until you are back on flat-ish straight ground for them to properly align to disengage and the light to go off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2014 Rubicon Rear axle lock problems

I have no problem to engage both axle locks. Two solid lights. Once I disengage - pressing the upper part of the button - the front axle unlocks and the rear keeps blinking. It doesn't matter if you are in 4lo or 2 wheel drive. It only turns off after driving an mile on pavement in 2wd. The alternative is to put it in reverse and peel out in the dirt and then put it in first and do the same while doing a "figure 8". Is that common or should I take it to the shop?

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
I have no problem to engage both axle locks. Two solid lights. Once I disengage - pressing the upper part of the button - the front axle unlocks and the rear keeps blinking. It doesn't matter if you are in 4lo or 2 wheel drive. It only turns off after driving an mile on pavement in 2wd. The alternative is to put it in reverse and peel out in the dirt and then put it in first and do the same while doing a "figure 8". Is that common or should I take it to the shop?
I would get it looked at. It shouldn't take more than a few yards-ish to disengage the rear.

Is the axle actually staying locked, or is it actually unlocked but just the light still blinking?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The light is blinking, but the axle is locked. I can tell by the sound one tire makes when it skids during a turn and the jerky movement.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
When I first tried to use mine, I had no idea it was a rocker switch. I thought you'd just press-on, press-off. So I pressed the switch to turn it on and when I wanted it off I kept pressing it and kept getting the light flashing.

Seems like a silly design considering it's a momentary switch either way and I obviously know first-hand how it can be confusing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I press the top portion, I will unlock the front axle after I move the vehicle a few yards. Rear one stays locked, despite the blinking light. The blinking light turns off after a mile or so driving on pavement or if I drop the clutch and peel out in the dirt a few times.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
The light is blinking, but the axle is locked. I can tell by the sound one tire makes when it skids during a turn and the jerky movement.
Could be some of the locker parts or electrical stuff is malfunctioning. Let a dealer look at it. Depending what it is and mileage, how modified your vehicle is, a repair may be covered under your warranty.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I try to remind all of my friends to engage and disengage their lockers and 4x4 regularly to keep them working. Otherwise you find out your cable is broke or something fun like that when you actually need it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I test drove a 2012 that also exhibited this behavior. It was also solved by turning the Jeep off and then re-starting. Curious if anyone has a concrete explanation.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
One of the best changes you can make to a Rubicon is the addition of a pair of bypass switches added to the ground side of the locker to activate and deactivate them so you don't ever have to use the stock switch again. You also gain the ability to use the lockers in Lo or Hi at will.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I try to remind all of my friends to engage and disengage their lockers and 4x4 regularly to keep them working. Otherwise you find out your cable is broke or something fun like that when you actually need it.

So true. I didn't get many chances to use the axle locks in the past. My 2014 Rubicon has 62000mi. I am trying to engage it every day to see if it improves. If not, I'll let the dealer take care of it. I have extended warranty. Just need to cough up the $100 deductible.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Blinking light means its trying to change from locked to unlock or vice versa. So you are stuck with a locked rear and I wouldn't drive on ANY pavement with it locked... especially at speed. That can put tremendous wear on your differential... and the only 'give' in the system is your tires slipping.

If unloading the drive line (put it in neutral and coast down a little hill) doesn't make it pop out, it sounds like it is stuck. I had am 09 Rubi that was never locked... the family that had it didn't know what the buttons did. It took about 5 cycles before it finally loosened up and would engage and disengage properly. They do get gummy from not being used...

·
Banned
723 Posts
I use my Rubi E-lockers constantly on the trails; mainly the rear locker. I've used both of them so much now that they respond immediately with no blinking lights or waiting for engagement. They also release immediately.
I'm running a RCV axle (no u-joints) and can turn the front wheels easily when locked up even without hydro.

They're like most things in that the more you use them, the easier they work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts