Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...this is my first first full warm season with a YJ. I've had many TJ rigs and one JK. As a lot of you know the later generation tops can neatly fold back with an updated top assembly. However the YJ top is totally different which does not have a header bow permanently attached to the top and must be untucked from the windshield channel then manually folded back like a sheet on the bed. At this point I know a lot of YJ owners just completely remove the top from the vehicle vs folding it back and removing it isn't complicated. If you read the owners manual in a 95 (which is what I have) it actually instructs you to lower the top onto the vehicle (similar to the TJ models) after you have the Windows removed and front portion untucked from the windshield. (Notice the pic with the soft top storage boot).
Now I haven't tried this yet and will play with it to figure out the best way as the season begins but has or does anyone lower they're top using the keep on the vehicle method. If so any tips or tricks involved or even videos of what works best? I know a lot of people could care less but I'm particular about a lot of stuff and I'm a love to have my tops laying thin and neat if possible and Windows un scratched kind of guy. Figured this would make a good thread and had no intentions of being this long!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
Honestly it's kind of a PITA. I used to lay my windows flat under a thick blanket in the back. Never had the "Boot" cover. Rolled up the rear window and bungeed the whole frame down. I'm looking to get a frameless top, but I am lucky enough to have the family style roll bars.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help with your REAL question, but I have no experience with ragtops.

However, with respect, and in all seriousness, I have 10 words for you, were it me (which it is obviously not):

Factory Hardtop, with rear defogger, wiper and window washer jet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had hard tops...I love the look of them but for me it's just not practical taking that thing on and off. I like being able to let that baby down and roll!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used to roll my old top back and tuck it under much like you said. sometimes bungee it sometimes just wrap it around its self, that top was very old and needed to be replaced so i didnt care much but as long as you wrap it well or bungee it stays pretty well. now that i have a new super top im looking into the rear boot for mine like you have in your pic. should make life a bit easier and protect the top a bit.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've had hard tops...I love the look of them but for me it's just not practical taking that thing on and off. I like being able to let that baby down and roll! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
that's where a frameless top comes in, I just sold my soft top and half doors last night.

Hard top in winter, frameless in summer!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Normally, my soft top is hanging on the garage wall all summer.
However, I do have that boot cover.
Only use it when I take the jeep to the beach for a week or so.
Everything goes in a small trailer (door uppers etc...) except the factory bows and top are too large.

The top is folded as pictured above but I don't see the factory tie down straps.
They are about 12 inches and attached to the rear bow on each side.
The strap wraps around from the inside, then over both folded bows.
There is a clip on the end that fits into the factory rail system.

Oh, and good luck getting a soft top in that boot.
I only have a half top and I cuss everytime.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
The only way that you can get the top rolled up neat and compact like that is to remove the rear and side windows and store them separately/leave them home. Trying to roll them in scratches them and makes the roll to big.

The secret to making a nice roll is to start by turning the rear corners inside out and flopping the rear legs of the top up on the top of the roof and keeping them tucked in crossways as you pinch the rear fold between the bows first

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm in the same boat as @mijeeper80 hardtop goes off when it gets warm, frameless top goes on. I put my hardtop back on when duck season starts. It's a pretty good system.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had hard tops...I love the look of them but for me it's just not practical taking that thing on and off. I like being able to let that baby down and roll!

I hear that.

What would be ideal would be a hoist, or a backhoe, and just put some marine-grade eyebolts through the top, for quick "ons" and "offs."

A bit crude, I know... (the eyebolts). But as I get older, I find myself thinking of possible alternatives to brute force. That's my plan, anyway, and I'm stickin' to it--LOL

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I hear that. What would be ideal would be a hoist, or a backhoe, and just put some marine-grade eyebolts through the top, for quick "ons" and "offs." A bit crude, I know... (the eyebolts). But as I get older, I find myself thinking of possible alternatives to brute force. That's my plan, anyway, and I'm stickin' to it--LOL
agreed, my shoulders ain't what they used to be so that is also my plan is to mount some sort of hooks. Was also thinking about a roof rack and then be able to lift the top off utilizing the roof rack with some sort of winch system. Haven't ironed out the details yet obviously lol

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I hear that.

What would be ideal would be a hoist, or a backhoe, and just put some marine-grade eyebolts through the top, for quick "ons" and "offs."

A bit crude, I know... (the eyebolts). But as I get older, I find myself thinking of possible alternatives to brute force. That's my plan, anyway, and I'm stickin' to it--LOL
I've seen pictures of DIY hardtop hoists that people install in their garages. It's essentially just 6 ropes(1 at each front corner, one at each door surround corner, and 1 at each rear corner) that go through a pully on the ceiling. It does require some pulling force, but from what I've seen they work really well. Best part is if your garage ceiling is high enough you can just leave the top hanging there until you're ready to put it back on. I've found that a friend and myself can have it removed in 15 minutes. Just one guy on each side holding at the door surrounds and the rear window surround. Lift up and walk back.

·
Registered
current: 07 JKUR previous: totaled 93 yj after new engine and tranny perfect timing!
162 Posts
Home made hoist, 1" box tube a little welding some eye bolts mounted to angle iron and screwed to the ceiling.. Oh and some home depot climbing rope. I can take the top off without any help pretty quick just crank each end up about 4" at a time.
Hardest part is slipping the rope under the hard top.

ForumRunner_20160312_200436.jpg

My garage is not tall so there is not enough clearance and I have to remove the spare tire to clear the rear glass which kinda sucks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I live in Oregon where you can take the top off and need to put it back on 3- times a week...
I did a home video of how I put my top down... I'll see if I can find it and put up a link...

While I love my YJ, there are some very serious flaws...
almost every bolt is a PIA.. and a 3rd grader with an etcha-sketch could design a better soft top...

That said, I remove both side windows
Release the pressure on the side brackets
Pull the pins on the tracks
Disconnect the front clips and roll up the front half
Tuck the back corners into the back behind the seats
Take two socks and slip them over the door headers (stops the scratching)
Slide both rear hoop bottoms forward
Pull the middle bow backwards
Lay the whole mess behind the back seat
Tuck in the sides so it looks nice and doesn't catch the wind
Remove the socks
Replace the track pins
Secure the frame with the straps
Put the door uppers between the back seats and the top

Its almost a two person job to do it... Or put it back up... and I don't know of nor have I ever heard of a woman ever being able to do it by themselves... Most guys struggle with a stock YJ top... There aren't many videos out there to help... You will scratch your jeep and there is almost nothing you can do to prevent it....
Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in Oregon where you can take the top off and need to put it back on 3- times a week...
I did a home video of how I put my top down... I'll see if I can find it and put up a link...

While I love my YJ, there are some very serious flaws...
almost every bolt is a PIA.. and a 3rd grader with an etcha-sketch could design a better soft top...

That said, I remove both side windows
Release the pressure on the side brackets
Pull the pins on the tracks
Disconnect the front clips and roll up the front half
Tuck the back corners into the back behind the seats
Take two socks and slip them over the door headers (stops the scratching)
Slide both rear hoop bottoms forward
Pull the middle bow backwards
Lay the whole mess behind the back seat
Tuck in the sides so it looks nice and doesn't catch the wind
Remove the socks
Replace the track pins
Secure the frame with the straps
Put the door uppers between the back seats and the top

Its almost a two person job to do it... Or put it back up... and I don't know of nor have I ever heard of a woman ever being able to do it by themselves... Most guys struggle with a stock YJ top... There aren't many videos out there to help... You will scratch your jeep and there is almost nothing you can do to prevent it....
Good luck

Sounds like you have something going there. I would think that rolling the front portion of the top vs folding it would definitely make you more room once everything is brought together in the back. I like the sock idea on those door headers. I was wondering if there was suppose to be some kind of rubber edge that just came off on mine, but from what you said I assume that's a no and just bad engineering . I would love to see the video you made! Your right.. YouTube is eat up with top videos on TJ and JK but there is only a small sample of YJ ones and the ones I've seen are wrong and or not detailed. Also, do you remove your rear window with this method? I am hesitant to roll up a rear window due to them scratching so dog gone easy! If they are dusty, you're in trouble! However rolling it up is so much more convenient ! Great info and get that video up.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I never considered tucking, folding, rolling anything while on the vehicle.
Have to do this by myself and it would futile.
I unzip and remove what can be unzipped.
I unsnap, unbuckle, disconnect and remove everything.
Lay it out on the ground.
Slide the bows out of the tracks.
Load the boot with the bows and top.
Snap the boot up.
Slide the bows back into tracks and strap the boot down.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've removed an F-250 pickup cap by myself. It is heavier than the YJ top, but the YJ top for some reason, maybe the balance or width was more than I could do myself.I was afraid of busting a window or something so I had to call my bro to help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I rarely lay the top down. I just unzip and remove all the windows. This leaves the top up, doesn't flap in the wind and I have shade for my bald head.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts