Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the final planing for the mods for my new JKU Rubi HR (4.11). I am going to do an AEV 2.5" lift and am debating 33" vs 35" Duratracs.

I will get to off-road maybe once a month, max. I expect to put ~6k total miles per year on JKU and expect about 30% of that to be in snow/slush/winter conditions. My preference is to run one set of wheels (AEV Pintlers).

Aside from gas mileage, what are the key pros and cons of each size?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I run 295/70R17. They are great. It is my first and only experience other than stock tires on a Jeep. They are a good middle ground between the two.

·
Registered
304 Posts
JKU + Lift + New Wheels = 35s

Many others have started with 33s and regretted it. Just get 35s and be done with it, will look awesome on a lifted JKU HR.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It all depends on what you want. IMHO - 35" look better, but a 33" tire will handle better, and give you better mpg. Frankly, to the casual observer they probably look the same.

If I wasn't so vain, I'd have 33's. But I'm not.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Over the year or so of reading through this forum, I see more people who go from 33" to 35", than go the other way.
With a 4 door, the fuel tank is very low, and break over angle puts the meaning in "break".

I've put just a bit over 5K miles in a year and a half. All play-no work or commute, about 500 miles off road, from desert, to mountains, to rocks.
I currently run a 3" lift and 35" tires. After wheeling it stock, I'm happy to have the additional clearance. Just makes everything less stressful.
I can pay more attention to beauty, and less focus on the trail. :thumb:
Next best thing to having someone else do the driving. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is my JK based opinion on Duratracs. Specifically on snow, slush, ice or rain I prefer the 285's by a long way. Deep snow, slush and rain the 315(12.5") made the short wheelbase a handful. In heavy slush or rutted snow the narrower tire works better for me. Ice is ice, without studs good luck. I cannot comment on the JKU, vehicle weight and wheelbase could be the equalizer.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
35's generally will look better, provide a bit more ground clearance and in theory will perform better off-road.

35's are also generally wider and heavier contributing to more clearance issues, on-road handling issues and applied suspension/driveline/steering wear and tear.

Width will be a factor when trying to run factory wheels.

33's will follow along on most trails conditions that 35's do. They are generally narrower and lighter so they will fit easier, they will handle better on road and will not apply as much load to suspension/driveline/steering.

In my opinion, the ideal dual purpose tire for a JK/JKU would be an aggressive AT, light weight 35x11. (Let me know if you find one)

With all that being said. Many run 35's on basically stock JK's. It appears to be an acceptable limit for the common set up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
JKU + Lift + New Wheels = 35s

Many others have started with 33s and regretted it. Just get 35s and be done with it, will look awesome on a lifted JKU HR.
I'm one of those people.. Got 33's and was happy for like 2 weeks. Was lucky enough to sell them for pretty much what I paid for them and then got 35's.

Just get the 35's and be done.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm in the final planing for the mods for my new JKU Rubi HR (4.11). I am going to do an AEV 2.5" lift and am debating 33" vs 35" Duratracs.

I will get to off-road maybe once a month, max. I expect to put ~6k total miles per year on JKU and expect about 30% of that to be in snow/slush/winter conditions. My preference is to run one set of wheels (AEV Pintlers).

Aside from gas mileage, what are the key pros and cons of each size?

Many thanks.
285/70/17 are not really bigger than your stock Rubicon tires, ~1/4" taller and a ~1" wider when installed and under load. They are not true "33"s for that you would have to look more at something like 285/75/17 or 305/70/17 (= ~33.1") neither size is available in DT.

The DT 315/70/17s run ~33.5" installed and under load at a real world psi of 28-30. With a 2.5" lift on a JKU this size is considered by the masses (myself included) as the most well balanced for look and function.

Having run both sizes mpg difference was about ~1mpg at hwy speeds and ~2mpg around town. Will depend how heavy foot you are.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
285/70/17 are not really bigger than your stock Rubicon tires, ~1/4" taller and a ~1" wider when installed and under load. They are not true "33"s for that you would have to look more at something like 285/75/17 or 305/70/17 (= ~33.1") neither size is available in DT. The DT 315/70/17s run ~33.5" installed and under load at a real world psi of 28-30. With a 2.5" lift on a JKU this size is considered by the masses (myself included) as the most well balanced for look and function.
Sold. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question on this -- will the Duratrac 315/70-17 fit the stock Rubicon 2016 rear gate rack?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Been down the same road..had the 285 Duratracs on my last jeep and this one is getting the 315's with an AEV 3.5" lift.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One more question on this -- will the Duratrac 315/70-17 fit the stock Rubicon 2016 rear gate rack?
Fit, yes it should but not cause damage in a few months or years is another question. Some have ran a 35" tire on the stock carrier without problems. Some the hinges start to sag and eventually do damage to the tailgate and start cracking where the hinge attaches. When I was in the market for a JK a few months ago I came across 2 with this problem. Stock 35" tire on the back with no reinforcement. You can get the terraflex tire carrier bracket that gets great reviews or can get a separate bumper/tire carrier that is not supported by the tailgate at all, which is what I ended up doing.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes it will fit with your HardRock bumper and AEV rims. Depending on how hard you drive your Jeep (off road) will dictate how soon you will need to replace the tire carrier with something stronger. I run the TeraFlex complete carrier and extended 3rd brake system. Provides for a super strong mount and quality from the factory look.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm going with the LOD rear bumper and tire carrier...it's on order and will be on before I get the 35" so the factory tire mount won't be an issue.

The teraflex carrier is a great idea but with it approaching a entire rear bumper in price I went with the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
14,542 Posts
The big issue??? Every tire is sized by the mold it's made in... I parked next to a Wrangler yesterday at the tire shop and he said wow those S/T Maxx in 35's look great! I said no, they are just 295's. He said no way, they are bigger than my Mastercraft MXT 35"s!! We were parked side by side and there was no question that my 295 Coopers looked bigger in every way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts