Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your personal opinion, why do you have a Cb radio? I am not part of any Jeep Clubs (though currently looking for one near my area) and was currently thinking about buying one. Just wanted to hear from people; how often do you actually use it? Is it worth the money and effort? Why not spend that money on other mods? I imagine if I knew other Jeepers and really wanted to talk to them while driving it'd be nice to have a Cb but I don't; so... talk me into buying a Cb please.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I find having a CB pretty helpful. If you are ever on the trails with someone else that has a CB communicating is easy...rather than stopping every 5 minutes to sort things out on where you are going. I also see it as being a little bit of insurance. For instance, my buddies were coming across the country from the Illinois area to California and were having trailer issues after hitting a deer :deadhorse: They managed to bend the axle on it (not a very big trailer.) They ended up tuning into a CB station asking truckers if they had a "come-along" that they could use to bend the axle back. Eventually they got a hold of somebody that could stop. Also, you can tune into weather channels and emergency channels with a CB.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the biggest pro of having a CB would be using them on the trails, while traveling, or the emergency/weather stations as mentioned before. Also some use them while hunting with a club.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Talking with fellow jeepers/monitoring trouble channel/chating with truckers/listening to the weather/listening to other jeepers jawing about a hill/rocks/mud/shale/danger/more beer-etc

No Cons

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
305 Posts
It gives the automatic jeep drivers something to do with their non steering hand other than drink or eat on the trail.

It's nice if you are a noob, the other jeeps in your group can check in on you via CB, give you advice on an upcoming section or laugh at/with you over the radio when you screw the pooch on a section of trail

lol @ Beer info

You'd be amazed at the good info you get from truckers on the highway about what lies ahead. speed traps, wrecks, weather etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so what brand and model would you guys recommend and how hard would it be to install it myself? I don't pretend to know anything about electronics but am trying to learn at the moment (the KC Daylighters on my Jeep in the picture aren't even hooked up yet :D)

·
Registered
205 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the Jeep. CBs aren't too hard to steal necessarily, so keep that in mind when you decide what you want to spend on a CB radio. There are ways to secure them in lockboxes, (hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in on that). Whatever you do, spend the money on a good antenna. The antenna is where you will not want to cheap out on. All CB radios are FCC regulated to 4 Watts of transmission power, so the better your antenna is, the better your transmission quality will be.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had my jeep for long but I am trying to get in touch with a local group to do some trail runs, in which case I'd like to have a Cb to communicate like the others said. Thanks for the antenna advice, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Pros----Everyone and their brother has one.

Cons---Everyone and their brother has one.

Donn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go with anything Cobra for the radio itself. As for antenna, I have the good ol' 102in steel whip on mine, cant really go wrong with that monster. Install is easy, drilled a hole in my bumper for the antenna, ran the coax into the Jeep through the rear drain plug, under all the carpet and to the passenger floor board. Have the positive for the cb wired to my radio fuse, and grounded to the metal part of the glove box. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I drive a truck and have a very nice radio in the truck. For the Jeep the most useful and safest thing I've seen is a small hand held unit that Ageless Stranger uses. You need only get out a short distance on the trail and this worked well. And. when not in use it just goes into the console. One less reason for some moron to slit your top to steal. The only wireing you have to worry about is plaging into the lighter socket if the batts are dead.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I can't think of any cons, are there any??? I'd go with the Cobra 19DX,it's nice and compact and better than that all in one mic one they have (unsure of the model). I've got the Wilson 4ft Flex antenna, it's very flexible but not annoyingly tall. As long as the antenna is above your roof line you will get decent reception. Try to stay away from those magnetic base short antenna's they tend to get pulled off by tree's,wind etc and have very short range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts