Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 05 automatic X/Sport.

Any pro's or con's moving up to an 07 automatic JK? I'm not rock crawling but do go through the woods once and awhile.

I saw a nice 07 Sahara and am thinking of making a switch.

The biggest thing for me is that I dumped a good bit of cash into the TJ this year on repairs. Going into another used car is really a pot luck kind of deal.

So I'm really just looking for pros and cons based on TJs vs JKs. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
The TJ is not can us meaning all the items you turn on and off are controlled by switches

The newer wranglers are can bus meaning the TIPM controls everything even radio on/off
You cannot remove radio and power it up on a bench top

The V6 saved money as it fits in lots of vehicles but a straight six is inherently balanced and straight six are legendary in smoothness and longevity
Think Jeep 4.0 ford 4.9 and dodge Cummins ram engine
Nothing beats a straight six for reliability

JKs are everywhere a non rusted TJ unmolested gets rarer every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
As a multi time JK owner who puts lots of miles on I would say JK just because of comfort but if I owned a later model tj already and it was in good shape I doubt I would trade for a 3.8 jk especially if I had any inclination to offroad it. I would put the money difference back into the tj unless the TJ was a rust bucket not worth saving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I may just table this for now. My TJ is clean of rust (could use a few cosmetic updates), I do like the straight 6, I cannot afford most newer models, I do not like electronic gadgets, but I don't like the known PCM failures on the 05-06 autos.

Do the 07 JK's have any known "computer" and/or electronic issues?

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I may just table this for now. My TJ is clean of rust (could use a few cosmetic updates), I do like the straight 6, I cannot afford most newer models, I do not like electronic gadgets, but I don't like the known PCM failures on the 05-06 autos.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Multiple, recent posts up here lately that indicate there's finally a correct and lasting fix, solution for the PCM problem from WranglerFix.com

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have both. The jk is great for longer trips. Drove it to San Francisco after retiring. I’m in Tennessee. Drove all over west of the Mississippi and through some twelve inch snow areas. My tj is a blast to drive around home. Most it would be comfy for me is maybe a couple of hour trips. Drove it to key west once and it was pretty exhausting. Just depends on your usage.
The tj is more simple to repair, but the jk doesn’t have any problems yet so it’s hard to compare on that aspect.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn you! LOL LOL and just kidding.

I will go drive the JK tomorrow for the hell of it.

I have both. The jk is great for longer trips. Drove it to San Francisco after retiring. I’m in Tennessee. Drove all over west of the Mississippi and through some twelve inch snow areas. My tj is a blast to drive around home. Most it would be comfy for me is maybe a couple of hour trips. Drove it to key west once and it was pretty exhausting. Just depends on your usage.
The tj is more simple to repair, but the jk doesn’t have any problems yet so it’s hard to compare on that aspect.

Reactions: ibikee

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Had 4 Tj's and current JKU... If you get a Jk as noted above go for a 12+, better engine better trans. 07s till approx 09ish.. had oil burn issues with the 3.8. Not saying stay away, but have it looked at, heck have the 12+ looked at too... and if nothing major wrong with the TJ I would keep it. If you want a better road ride, look into nicer shocks perhaps..

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
Driving it around town? Keep the TJ and just clean it up. Going to take a trip now and then out of town? The JK will be more comfortable, etc.

As above, don't buy the 3.8, get a '12 or newer 3.6.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Personally I wouldn't trade a tj for TWO jk's...

People keep saying they are comfortable.... I don't get it.... A couple years ago I was looking for a work jeep and was really thinking about a 4 door... UNTIL I sat in one.... HORRIBLY uncomfortable for me... roll bar jammed into my upper arm, window crank stabbing my left leg and shifter stabbing my right... then the leaking freedom top... So I thought nope the 4 door is out and I sat in a 2 door thinking at least the roll bar might be further back NOPE same thing...

Maybe all the 'comfy' folks are 5'3"???? I dunno but not me... then throw in all of the reliability issues and I'll keep using my 270k mile yj for work and my tj's for daily driving... I have no problem doing a 1000 mile trip in the tj but wouldn't want to go 30 min in the jk...

Just my experience ymmv

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure I'm happy with starting this thread. Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll be driving my TJ locally and at longer distances TOMORROW after resolving the re-occurring wiring issues with headlamps and AC blower. After installing about 10 extra relays, it should continue to work well . . . I hope. Chrysler did a piss poor job of designing these circuits. The logic and wire sizes suck and lead to continual repair or replacement of components. Who would ever send 12 gauge wires through switches that can't handle the amperage? This occurs at the multfunction switch, air mode switch, and blower fan switch. What a PITA.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Use Wranglerfix for any pcm problems and keep it. My brother bought a new 4 door JK in 2015 for the comfy ride for his wife and kid. He now only drives the TJ.:)

p.s. The 3.8L is an oil burning, gutless engine.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
It's all about your own personal preferences... I have one of each and there is no doubt in my mind the JK is more comfortable. The seats have more/better bolsters and provide much more support, the A/C is more effective by far and in AZ that's a big deal... Plus it's full of creature comforts, heated seats, auto headlights, etc. But the LJ is more casual and I enjoy cruising it for sure. When I go make a Lowes or fast food run or something, I always take the LJ.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Personally I wouldn't trade a tj for TWO jk's...

People keep saying they are comfortable.... I don't get it.... A couple years ago I was looking for a work jeep and was really thinking about a 4 door... UNTIL I sat in one.... HORRIBLY uncomfortable for me... roll bar jammed into my upper arm, window crank stabbing my left leg and shifter stabbing my right... then the leaking freedom top... So I thought nope the 4 door is out and I sat in a 2 door thinking at least the roll bar might be further back NOPE same thing...

Maybe all the 'comfy' folks are 5'3"???? I dunno but not me... then throw in all of the reliability issues and I'll keep using my 270k mile yj for work and my tj's for daily driving... I have no problem doing a 1000 mile trip in the tj but wouldn't want to go 30 min in the jk...

Just my experience ymmv
I thought the JKs were a bit more roomy myself but I wouldn’t trade my TJ for one. If OP is looking for comfort test drive the new JL Rubi, they look pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts