Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Have been shopping around for another Jeep. Found this one on Craigslist that is pretty much everything I want. Black, black hardtop, 6cyl, 5sp, 4" lift, 33's

I haven't talked to the person about it. Still debating on if I want to have another car payment or not.

What do you guys think of this Jeep/price? I'm thinking of offering $9k if I decide to go for it.

Lifted 01 Jeep Wrangler

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 4" Skyjacker flex suspension. He said the swaybars were broke when he got it and he had them welded and they've been fine since. I would eventually get new sways with discos. The tires are worn but still have life left. I only drive about 3000mi per year in my vehicle (may be more with a Jeep though!)

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's a 4" Skyjacker flex suspension. He said the swaybars were broke when he got it and he had them welded and they've been fine since. I would eventually get new sways with discos. The tires are worn but still have life left. I only drive about 3000mi per year in my vehicle (may be more with a Jeep though!)

well think about if you like the ride with skyjacker shocks cause they are stiff and having them welded isnt good IMO because you will need to eventually get new ones and who knows whats under the welding, rust..:nonono: Then look at maybe 900-1000 for tires cause if they are too warn they wont be good off road

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stiff ride won't bother me. Like I said it'll be my DD but we still have our Yukon for a cushy ride.

As for the tires and sway, that's why I'm thinking on $9k.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Whenever negotiating it is always helpful to point to "things" that reduce the price and why. At the end of the day, the seller will have to decide...."should I take the deal despite the reasons, or do better elsewhere."

Also, cash and a quick sell never hurts either.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
which rear axle?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fella said he is not sure. I'd have to assume it's the stock axles and rearend.

I'd probably go 9.5k but I'm gonna point out the things that will NEED to be done soon and offer 9k.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The fella said he is not sure. I'd have to assume it's the stock axles and rearend.

I'd probably go 9.5k but I'm gonna point out the things that will NEED to be done soon and offer 9k.

There are 2 options for stock rear axles in that model; the Dana 35, which is the weaker of the two, and the Dana 44, the much more preferred one. Just a thought.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if you go to look at it i would say jump under it and look for damage to the underside.. this will be a good indication of what your working with and what has been done to it as well as how he drove the jeep.. as said before look at the rear axle and see what it is..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Because it's got bigger tires, I'd look real hard at the suspension and axles. Look for fresh leaks which may indicate a crack(s) in the diff housing. Look/listen for slop in the u-joints.

Thoroughly check the transfer case and transmission gear operations.

Is the bottom side generally clean or is it gouged up from dragging over rocks?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it'll have D35 or D44 stamped into the diff housing, right?

ETA: Geez, Right as I type that I get pictures.. HAHA

The guy said he's never had it offroad, that he bought it with the lift and tires. This means it may have been wheeled like crazy from the owner before him. I'll have to look it over pretty good before deciding.

Also, what's the internal difference in the 35 and 44 rear?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about gearing? It has 33's. How do I find out which gearing is in it? What would be best for highway with light trail riding?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts