Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my stock size tires (K02's), no spacers and the rear flares are constantly getting pummelled with dirt, snow, salt (pictured).. this pix was taking right after a car wash maybe drove 5 miles.

My Q. after thousands of miles will my door hinges and flares be a stone chips and destroys? I notice this is not as bad a problem with those running factory sahara running boards, they kindov act like flaps. My rig cam with the hard rock rock sliders.

Do any of you guys and girls 3M Tape your flares? Repaint?

I'm thinking of adding 1.5" Spacers and the problem with get worst.

I don't care that she's dirty its a Jeep, more concerned with the hinges getting Rusted and the rear flares looking like they got hit by a shotgun

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some of the 3M clear "Wrap" material would help out. Beware though if it takes a stone hit that goes through the film, removal may peel some paint with it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I considered replacing my Sahara running boards w/tubes. Thanks to your pics, they're staying on!
Be nice to add a plate to the stock tubes, kids like on the Red Rock to cut down on spray

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
I bought the Sahara running boards and they absolutely keep the sides clean.
^ X 100

I have those side steps on both my JKs and they do wonders keeping the sides of the Jeeps relatively damage-free.

Over the holidays we completed a 4,200-mile road trip, most of it in snow, slush, road salt and sand, and the sides of my Jeep are mostly scuff-free.

I plan to wash it and wax it this weekend --we are getting 82 degrees!; will be posting pix.

Notice the underside of the side steps collecting most of the slush, salt, sand and debris

By contrast, this is what my 2012 Rubicon looked like after a similar trip 3 years prior

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm also concerned about protecting those area. I have a rock hard slider sitting in my living room until I figure that out. Until then, the Sahara running board stays.

I was considering the 3m tape but now having second thoughts.

Have you considered the bestop hinge protectors? The only thing is that it's black.

And there was a member who created a "wing" of sort. He had a cooler name for it. :) A plastic trim that extends from the fender flare. He did a nice job on it. Can't recall the name.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The full coverage Sahara spec steps should provide excellent coverage. I have the black apperance package tube steps, and they help a ton, but not as good as the Sahara's. Although I like the tube step appearance more.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts