Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just picked up a 2015 Unlimited Sahara. First mod on my list is a lift and new wheels/tires. I am going with a 3.5" lift and have picked out Fuel Hostage wheels with 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler MT tires. My question is in relation to size of wheel. I love the look of the 20" wheel, but keep hearing that I shouldn't really go bigger than 17" or 18" with a 35" tire. Many say that it hurts the ride quality and it obviously is more costly. I am not worried about the cost, but don't want terrible ride quality (noisy/bumpy). I ran into someone today that has 20's on his new Jeep with the same Nitto tires and he thought it rode just fine - not loud or bumpy. So just looking for feedback from you all - especially those of you already running a 20" wheel/35" tire combo. Going to pull the trigger in the next day or two so any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - if there is a thread on this topic already that I overlooked please re-direct me.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

·
Registered
275 Posts
You don't need 3.5 of lift to get 35's under it. 2.5 is plenty. 20's are going to hurt the ride and limit your tire options. I know a lot of guys including me that 20's on vehicles (My truck) and now are running 18's. If you go 3.5 get your check book out as you are going to need new drive axles etc as the drive angle become to extreme.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congrats! We have similar taste - I have a 2015 JKU Sahara w/ 18" Fuel Hostages and 33" Trail Grapplers. Once my 2.5" MOPAR lift goes in next week I'm jumping up to 34-35's.

I can't speak to the 20" size but can tell you that you will love that tire/wheel combo. Check out Broker23's rig here on the forum - he's got 20" wheels w/ 35" Trails.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Can you even 4x4 with 20in rims... seems like a waste of money if you hit a rock.... and not much sidewall on the tire either when you put on 20s. If you dont plan on taking it on the trails... 20s are
cool... but i actually use my jeep... so i like 17s on 35s...

To each his own.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you came here looking for yay-sayers, you came to the wrong place. I have noticed a ton of guys that shoot down anything they don't like. I think 20 inch wheels on a lifted JK look bitchin' and think that you should go for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've done some addt'l reading since I posted this yesterday and I see that 20's are NOT very popular by many on this board. I don't get it - each to his own right? We all have the right to customize our Jeeps any way we want without the backlash. The mall crawler references I read are pretty comical. Here I am a 42 year old male that just likes the look of 20" inch rim on a 35" tire - I am pretty sure that does NOT make me a mall crawler! :)

One other question - everyone I have talked to locally including the Fortec guys said that the limit on a lift without substantial additional upgrades is 3.5". If I go above 3.5" then I will need new drive shafts, ball joints, etc. I consider the Fortec guys subject matter experts. However, I've seen all over this board that 2.5" lift is the highest you should go or your asking for trouble if you don't do the additional upgrades. What am I missing here? Do the Fortec guys really not know what all of the 'limit it to 2.5 inches" guys on this board know?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Jeremy

·
Administrator
17,022 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've done some addt'l reading since I posted this yesterday and I see that 20's are NOT very popular by many on this board. I don't get it - each to his own right? We all have the right to customize our Jeeps any way we want without the backlash. The mall crawler references I read are pretty comical. Here I am a 42 year old male that just likes the look of 20" inch rim on a 35" tire - I am pretty sure that does NOT make me a mall crawler! :)

One other question - everyone I have talked to locally including the Fortec guys said that the limit on a lift without substantial additional upgrades is 3.5". If I go above 3.5" then I will need new drive shafts, ball joints, etc. I consider the Fortec guys subject matter experts. However, I've seen all over this board that 2.5" lift is the highest you should go or your asking for trouble if you don't do the additional upgrades. What am I missing here? Do the Fortec guys really not know what all of the 'limit it to 2.5 inches" guys on this board know?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Jeremy
My best friend runs 20s with 33s and it looks good.

What some of the posts are trying to say is that IF you plan on using the Jeep OFF ROAD 20s will not be your friend. If you don't plan on going off road that's cool, my friend doesn't.

That's where the "mall crawler" comes into play. It's not derogatory, just a term that says you use your Jeep ON the road instead of OFF. So, determine how you'll use your Jeep, then make the decision that's appropriate for that type of usage.

FWIW- I run a "flashy" wheel, but still take my Jeep off road. To some that's a sin, but I don't care :D

Lifts:
anything over 3" will cause your drive shaft to rub on the exhaust cross member when fully articulated. Ball joints will be dependent on the size/weight of the wheel/tire combo you choose, not the lift. If you go with a heavy wheel/tire combo you'll be fine for a little while, just understand the longer you go the riskier. For heavy wheel/tire you will want to add C gussets, the factory Cs on both the D44 and D30 will eventually bend with a heavy combo, even on streets (potholes, etc).

Anywho :welcome: :wavey:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts