Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the unique plesure of having my new tinted windows kit from Best Top sliced up..nothing taken..:pullinghair:..Should of left the doors unlocked. But dont want inside vandalized..I have the Sport S with passive alarm and read some writeups on adding a proximity sensor.

I dont want to buy full blown Alarm system..Here is some of my Ideas and questions

Is there a way to just add a disable switch with FOB so that the proximity sensor turns off when in or near the vehicle??Was thinking of aftermartet ignition imobilizer or something like that and attaching it to the proximity sensor. I dont care about a remote start and all the extras. I have a manual transmission. Also dont want the manual kill switch but live in Florida and thunderstorm season is comming so if possible want either FOB or on off FOB to disable the system.

Need some alarm..

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
So you looked your doors to prevent the inside from being vandalized. What have you learned? The correct answer is always leave the doors unlocked and keep nothing of value inside. A proximity alarm is a waste.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So you looked your doors to prevent the inside from being vandalized. What have you learned? The correct answer is always leave the doors unlocked and keep nothing of value inside. A proximity alarm is a waste.
Your "correct answer" is not correct. Some people do not have the option of keeping nothing of value inside the jeep. Perhaps a proximity alarm is a waste in a crime-ridden ghetto, but it serves a purpose in most other places and is definitely not a waste.

To actually attempt to answer the OP's question rather than speak condescendingly to him for asking it, I wired a proximity alarm through a switch on the dash. When I want to use it, I merely turn on the switch and activate the alarm with the remote.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info..seen a lot of writes and decided to try it. Found the best solution is to add an alarm system..Turn down the outside zone to reduce false alarms..By adding a alarm I can have protection without the top on..I actually like the Idea...Just leaving jeep open is not an option..also by adding alarm with tilt and shock should help prevent theft of winch tires and spare.....I don't leave anything of value in the jeep..still didn't help with the vandism to the top..I am out 243 bucks..gotta to do something.... Thanks again for both views

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Your "correct answer" is not correct. Some people do not have the option of keeping nothing of value inside the jeep. Perhaps a proximity alarm is a waste in a crime-ridden ghetto, but it serves a purpose in most other places and is definitely not a waste.

To actually attempt to answer the OP's question rather than speak condescendingly to him for asking it, I wired a proximity alarm through a switch on the dash. When I want to use it, I merely turn on the switch and activate the alarm with the remote.
You always have the option of not keeping something valuable in your jeep. Don't be ridiculous. I gave sound advice, if that hurts your feelings too bad.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I made a custom prox sensor alarm for when the top is off. Do a search on my name... Hidden kill switch and auto alarms when the key is out and deactivates when you start it. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a custom prox sensor alarm for when the top is off. Do a search on my name... Hidden kill switch and auto alarms when the key is out and deactivates when you start it. Works perfectly.
I saw it..Thanks..that's what made me decide to go with proximity sensor..I decided on adding a full alarm..Got to protect the soft top exterior not just interior..Great writeup by the way. Can't afford to keep buying soft top windows..also want alarm to go off if someone trys to remove winch or spare..The stock alarm won't handle that.Your writeup helped me decide on where to place the proximity sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts