Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick back story on my camping... I was raised in a very outdoors family, we camped 10-15 times a year. Back in the day, it was the old large canvas tent setup that the entire family slept in. I kept camping after I moved out with my girlfriend (now wife of 29 years) and we have been tent camping on the ground together for 30+ years...

I told her we don't need to sleep on the ground anymore, we can do a trailer with a RTT and be much more comfortable. I had big build plans. Then I ran in to Dave from Turtleback Trailers, oops... Now I had big buy plans. Amazing trailers, tough to swallow price. I soon found out that all the premium trailers were very expensive. But we wanted to figure it out so I found a place to rent a trailer with an RTT. Big improvement in comfort and wind resistance, etc versus ground camping.

Then I stumbled on the Little Guy trailers and a place I could rent those. Same comfort, much quieter inside and a bit more warmth. We rented about 5 times to confirm... Yes, we like the hard side trailer the best.

The search began, there are MANY small teardrop/breadbox trailers on the market these days. After about a 3 month search, we settled on the Intech Max Flyer. More interior space, all aluminum construction, roof rack, pull out kitchen with refrigerator and I could just immediately see a massive amount of mod opportunities.

But it needed to get dirty before I touched anything on it.

And since day 1, the list of mods began. At this point, I'm in to the initial list a little ways and it seems like every time I scratch a mod off the list, I add a new one.

So this is going to look like a standard Jeep build, but it's my Intech Max Flyer instead.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Subscribed. I would really like one of these, probably the taller one with the flip out bed. Would use it to carry motorbikes and mountain bikes with the family.

There are a few manufacturers but these look just right and are backed by a great warranty showing confidence in the build.

It's someway off, unless I sell the house and live in it though.

I saw someone using the roof rack to hold water container for a shower.
The other complaint was that it might be a bit nose heavy, how does it feel?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like it would be fantastic to sleep in. :thumb:

Caught a trailer with RTT on craigslist a while back for $8K. Probably about 10-12 brand new. I wish I had pulled the trigger! :( Have to make due with my tent-cot for now.

Who were you renting from? I'd love to try out a trailer while keeping both kidneys.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Subscribed. I would really like one of these, probably the taller one with the flip out bed. Would use it to carry motorbikes and mountain bikes with the family.

There are a few manufacturers but these look just right and are backed by a great warranty showing confidence in the build.

It's someway off, unless I sell the house and live in it though.

I saw someone using the roof rack to hold water container for a shower.
The other complaint was that it might be a bit nose heavy, how does it feel?
Yep, the Road Shower is on my to-do list. They are in production but wont be shipping until October. But it holds 7 gallons in a black aluminum tube that you can pressurize.

The Max is a little tongue heavy. I have already communicated that to Intech, but it's due to the position of the kitchen and then the side door, the axle is as far forward as they can get it. What that means is that everything I do, I do on the rear. I load my ice chest, my 10 gallons of water, and anything else possible on the tail. That also will impact where I mount stuff...

Our very first mod was curtains for the windows. We went down to Hobby Lobby and picked up some fabric and the wife put a couple hems on them and a place for a rod to hang on the side door. I used fabric velcro for the side windows and she put a little ribbon in so that we could tie them open. A quick pull on the ribbon and the curtain closes.

A few things I knew I needed to address. Lift, shovel and axe, awnings, and a kitchen light...

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like it would be fantastic to sleep in. :thumb:

Caught a trailer with RTT on craigslist a while back for $8K. Probably about 10-12 brand new. I wish I had pulled the trigger! :( Have to make due with my tent-cot for now.

Who were you renting from? I'd love to try out a trailer while keeping both kidneys.
tepuiadventurerentals.com

rvrentaloutlet.com

Those are the 2 I used. The Tepui is actually on a Bivouac trailer. They make awesome trailers too.

RV Rental Outlet has a couple of options. We used the Little Guy 5 wide each time we went out.

As for cost, I got my Max Flyer for just over $11k out the door. That's about $4k off MSRP. Toms Camperland in Mesa is the dealer and they have a few other options as well, go check them out.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wife wanted to get the bed together so we picked up a couple pillows, sheets and grabbed some old stuff out of the closet... You can't see, but I also put on a $30 queen size foam mattress pad from Walmart for just a tiny bit more help for my old hips (side sleeper).

Not a great photo, but it shows how I put my weight on the rear... It fits a 100QT Igloo and 2 5 gallon water jugs perfectly at the end of the bed.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had pretty good luck getting it level by eyesight the first couple times out. But I knew that it would be super easy if I had a couple levels on it. Quick trip to Walmart and sure enough I had a couple bubble levels. I could tell immediately that the sticky back tape on them was garbage. Fortunately, I had some good stuff in my R/C box. I replace the double side tape and mounted them up.

This first photo shows the only issue I've had with the trailer so far. You can see the window sealant has come loose around the window in the door. I will be taking it in for warranty service.

Here's the rear level:

The pull out kitchen on these is pretty cool. Not quite as classic as the rear galley teardrops, but I so much prefer the rear entry in to the Intech that I'll take the pull out kitchen. One thing though... No light for cooking at night. Intech is aware and I think they are planning for a light on their 2018 models.

I found a battery powered LED at Lowes and with a couple pieces of Velcro it goes up and down in seconds and really lights up the burners at night.

I use the "notes" app on my phone... The trailer mod/need list was up to 23 items. One of those items, more pantry space.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The walls inside the trailer are covered in carpet, but give ample space to add "stuff". We thought we would do a small cabinet inside the drivers side door. But short of 100% fabrication, I couldn't find anything that would do what I wanted. So then we stumbled across some baskets at Lowes that were built well and seemed like I could hang on the wall and get us moving in the right direction.

I used small Buchanon Cable Clamps to mount to the wall.

And this is what I ended up with:

A box of cereal, loaf of bread, and most items we experimented with fit nicely and they are sturdy. This helps a ton for hauling food for more than just a couple of days.

I'm good for bed head every morning, so I wanted to have a hat handy. Turns out my wife did too... We found some hooks that work perfectly for hats.

Put these hooks just inside the rear door on the passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a variety of items to mount outside on the rack. My shovel, axe and "porch" were all going on the drivers side. A friend told me to check out Quick Fist and now I realize I should have bought stock in them... I've got 5-6 sets already.

I'm very happy with the outcome. The "porch" is a 3' x 5' roll of 1/8" rubber mat. It just rolls up on the 1-1/4" dowel for storage. It unrolls and lays out behind the rear doors to create a porch. This immediately sent me hunting for an awning for the porch. I already had plans for a Foxwing on the side to cover the side entrance and the kitchen, but I'm not there yet. Found a 4" ARB awning at 4WP and that's next.

I hope it looks and works as good on the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I left some space between the pantry baskets and the rear doors because we were planning to hang our coats on the door. The wife chose the 3M Command hooks for this project. We had also used them to hang the curtain rod on the side door. These things seem to hold really well as my coat is very heavy.

When the door is closed, they fit nicely in that area between the door and the baskets.

I had ordered the Dexter Axle lift kit shortly after I got the trailer. It was on back order for about a month and finally got it. Need to get this bad boy installed.

Reactions: BoxerMobileJK

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pre lift kit, I had less than 16" of ground clearance to the body. It wasn't "low" like a standard Little Guy, but I definitely needed more ground clearance. The standard Dexter #9 lift kit is 2-5/8". When I calculated what I needed to run a 4" drop hitch, I was about 1/2" short. So a quick trip to the metal shop and I picked up 2 6061T6 aluminum bars in 1/2 x 2 x 10 which is the exact measurement of the mounting pad on the lift kit. I used the kit spacer to mark the holes and drilled them myself. I didn't take any pictures of my aluminum spacer before assembly, sorry.

Didn't realize this first one was out of focus either... :pullinghair:

So this is before the lift:

And a few after:

I now have 18-3/4" at egress point. It's not a mega off-roader, but its now pretty good.

We are going out this coming weekend so I will get a couple of hooked up and set up pictures.

Reactions: lioneljeeper

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back to the awning for the rear entry! Got the ARB3110 awning in and found that I just needed some longer bolts for my rack to mount. I figured I needed some obscure, only available from ARB, brackets... I was wrong. My local Shoppers (love that store) had the M6 x 50 stainless steel bolts in stock and off I go.

ARB suggested 6 bolts, so I used 6 to mount.

It hasn't been out of the garage yet, so I don't have a "set up" photo. SOON!

Most of this build so far was completed a few weeks back so that's why there really isn't a step by step pictorial. I guess I was just record keeping and wasn't planning for a "build" thread. But this is as fun as the Jeep...

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My wife got me an AcuRite 02080, 5 in 1 Weather Station with lightning detection, for Fathers Day. It is pretty sweet with all it does... So I set it up at the house but also want it to be mobile to go with me. I already had a small inverter so that takes care of the power and now I just need to mount it. Hey, more Quick Fist!

It uses standard 3/4" PVC to mount, so that's a piece of cake. Now to get it on the trailer somehow. I figured that I would just take a piece of PVC at 24" and give it 2 mounting positions, 1 vertical for in use and 1 horizontal for non use. Again, I use all aluminum and stainless steel hardware.

I needed to fabricate a small bracket since I wanted the vertical mount to be inside the roof rack instead of outside. I need to leave the outside of the rack for the Foxwing awning.

Couple shots of the little bracket I made:

Here's the mount installed in "travel" position:

Here's the mount in the vertical "use" position:

And here's a couple with the sensor unit installed.

And here is what the operator interface/display looks like, yes it's 113 here today and 14% humidity... Inside is 81 with 38% humidity.

Reactions: lioneljeeper

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some items still on the list:

Road Shower: A water storage tank that heats in the sun and can be pressurized for washing dishes or even showering.

Road Shower - The Rack Mounted Solar Shower - Road Shower 4

Foxwing Awning: It's a 270 degree awning to mount on the roof rack. It will cover the side entry door and the pull out kitchen and work table on the front.

This is dual Foxwings, I'll only be putting 1 on mine.

The only other Intech photo I could find shows the awning closed.

A solar charging set up: There are a ton of options on this, but I think I'll be good at 100watt. They call them "suitcase" solar charging systems. This gives you an idea of what they look like.

Some additional fuel storage: I'm thinking Rotopax. But to mount on the side I will need custom brackets because the walls will not support the weight. The unit below is custom built for one of the guys at Intech. They reiforced his walls for Rotopax during the build. You can also see the Road Shower on his roof rack.

Reactions: GunNut37086

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
4 days and 3 nights this last weekend at Drift Fence Lake on the White Mountain Apache Reservation.

Set up.

On the way out.

Scenery was amazing.

Elk visited the lake every morning and evening... Deer, squirrels, chipmunks, wild turkey, predatory birds galore. Oh, and trout!

Not a great photo but the bull was there too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had ordered the Dexter Axle lift kit shortly after I got the trailer. It was on back order for about a month and finally got it. Need to get this bad boy installed. [IMG said:
http://www.dexteraxle.com/images/default-source/kitimages/K71-723-01.jpg[/IMG]
I just installed the same kit on my Aspen Ambassador. My Axle is the #8 and they dont make a lift for it, but the bolt holes lined up so I just had to widen the holes a little on the Camper Side.

I love your setup, and could see my wife embracing this.

Do you bring a potty with you?

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just installed the same kit on my Aspen Ambassador. My Axle is the #8 and they dont make a lift for it, but the bolt holes lined up so I just had to widen the holes a little on the Camper Side.

I love your setup, and could see my wife embracing this.

Do you bring a potty with you?
Yes, we use Reliance folding toilet from Walmart. One of the primary uses of the shovel is making the stool hole:

There are other options, like a Luggable Loo if you have to capture:

We use a Guide Gear pop up for privacy:

Here's ours:

The Aspen's are pretty cool, saw one behind a motorcycle earlier this year.

·
Super Moderator
16,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my fishing poles hung inside. I just used a 2 sided under cabinet hook from ACE Hardware and tucked them over to the side. I have some rubber flex ties if I need to make sure they don't bounce out.

Not the best photo's, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have some rubber flex ties if I need to make sure they don't bounce out.
Looking great, really like that low-profile and light weight camper.

In regards to keeping the poles secured: something i have done a few times with velcro is cut both the loop and fuzzy strips to the same size at 1/4-1/2" wide, peel off the protective plastic and attach the glued backs together. so now you have one strip with the fuzzy material on one side and the hooks to the other. You can now wrap them around anything to hold, secure and re-use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for sharing on your Intech teardrop. I have been looking (on line so far except for [email protected]) at a bunch of different teardrop as my tenting days are behind me but I want something mobil enough to take on some overlanding trips and Intech is one of the units on my list. We have a [email protected] dealer not far from us so my wife and I are going to be renting a 6 wide Outback edition teardrop in September and head to Western NC for a week. There is a dealer in Orange Virginia who handles the Intech line so I plan to stop by on the way thru. I would also like to look at Rustic Trailers PaPa bear tear drop in NC, Hiker trailers 5x9 offroad addition and Crosscounty teardrops in NC but I'm not going to be able to this trip. One of the thoughts I have with the Intech is to be able to have a portable toilet inside for long rides, my wife isn't thrilled about the no bathroom part and a big reason I want to see the Intech in person plus I just think they match the Jeep better.
Outside of the heavier tongue weight hows it pull and what don't you like about the trailer. I too like the rear entrance and front sliding galley but mainly since I'm almost 6'4". The galley though seems a bit backwards and I would want to flip the stove and fridge to face the door but with that the door rather than having to go around to get to it, any thoughts?. A couple other questions too, How is the roof AC unit as far as noise, are the walls insulated and is there anyway to have a Lock N Roll or Max coupler installed rather than the traditional tongue?
Good luck with the trailer and enjoy those outings, can't wait for mine vacation and to try out these small trailers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts