Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased the 67 Design Jeep JK mount with Universal mount a few years ago. The functionality and secure features made the mount superior to many less expensive alternatives. Mine was installed with the 3M tape and secured with the small screw into the dash following all instructions. Off-road tested successfully on multiple treks at local off-road parks. Tested the MagMount for a bit but it caused reception problems on some phones.
Last night I drove over a large speed bump and landed a bit hard. To my surprise the 67 Design phone mount snapped at the base and became a projectile in the jeep. The short carbon fiber arm, universal mount and iphone got thrown into the empty passenger seat :tomatoes:
Contacted 67 Designs and sent them pics to let them know a JK mount base had broken carrying a light-weight phone and became a projectile in the jeep.

Pedro from customer service expressed concern about the broken JK mount base and offered to send an updated version. They want to inspect the broken JK mount. Perhaps a redesign might be needed to prevent future projectiles in your jeep especially those that plan on carrying heavier electronics, i.e. iPads

Be careful out there and make sure your 67 Design mount is tight and secure.

IMG_20191029_210456.jpg

IMG_20191029_210405.jpg

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Interesting. I didn't even know they made one that looks like that. The current ones have space for two balls on it, whether you order it with one or both.

I'm curious as to whether the plastic degrades and gets brittle over time or something. I guess we'll see if people have more failures with them in the future.

On a bright note... for what they charge for them, they should be perfectly happy to send replacements for any that break. They only need to send the plastic part, which probably costs them a dollar at most.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Are the newer bases plastic or metal?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Plastic. They're bigger though, so I wonder if they might not be stronger as well. I guess time will tell.

The thing sits on the dash so if UV rays break down the plastic over time and they're still using the same plastic then it could eventually get brittle and break.

Honestly though... I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark at what might have happened. It could just have been too thin and the new ones might never have an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Plastic. They're bigger though, so I wonder if they might not be stronger as well. I guess time will tell.

The thing sits on the dash so if UV rays break down the plastic over time and they're still using the same plastic then it could eventually get brittle and break.

Honestly though... I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark at what might have happened. It could just have been too thin and the new ones might never have an issue.
Thanks. If they’re plastic I’m definitely out. At that price I thought it would be metal of some sort. I was emailing their customer support yesterday with questions and didn’t think to ask that.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Mine doesn't look like that at all. Have only had it installed for about 2 months but no issues. I'm going to assume the OP has the older version and the newer one is hopefully more robust.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
67 Design is sending me a newer version JK base with dual ball mount capability. Only one ball mount will be supplied. Not sure I would trust the new unit with two heavier electronics in light of what occurred. I'll post a pic of both versions of JK bases for comparison to look for improvements. For a dual JK ball mount base I would expect some reinforcement to handle an iPad size device that they display on the website. Definitely won't use the longer carbon fiber arms which could increase the leverage to cause another base failure. Replacing electronics is ez +costly but getting hit with one while driving is a concern.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks. If they’re plastic I’m definitely out. At that price I thought it would be metal of some sort. I was emailing their customer support yesterday with questions and didn’t think to ask that.
I guess it's worth noting that the mounting balls themselves are metal and attached to the plastic base.

Not sure I would trust the new unit with two heavier electronics in light of what occurred.
I wouldn't put much thought into it. You seem to be the only one that's had one fail. Might have just been a fluke.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,851 Posts
This is the first I am sure any of us have seen failure of this product. Not time to dismiss it yet... they are doing the right thing and replaceing it with an upgraded product free of charge. Sounds like great customer service.

The OP is in Delaware. Weather is pretty drastically different there. Warm and humid in the summer, cold and dry in the winter. Looking at the pics, that material looks pretty thin across the base. I have the same version. Our weather is pretty much the same but hotter summers. Interesting to see if we see more of these failures.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
This is the first I am sure any of us have seen failure of this product. Not time to dismiss it yet... they are doing the right thing and replaceing it with an upgraded product free of charge. Sounds like great customer service.

The OP is in Delaware. Weather is pretty drastically different there. Warm and humid in the summer, cold and dry in the winter. Looking at the pics, that material looks pretty thin across the base. I have the same version. Our weather is pretty much the same but hotter summers. Interesting to see if we see more of these failures.
I agree. I'm right next to Delaware.

I just ordered the double 67 Design setup for my JKU. I came to the decision after someone here posted the Amazon clone. I'm sure the product is sound and I like supporting them over someone who just copied their product, likely with cheaper materials.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my replacement JK base mount from 67 Designs today. The double JK base mount is bigger, stronger and more than twice as thick in the area where the old base mount broke. Improvements to the new base mount besides thickness are structural ribbing, larger 3M tape and overall larger and more robust structure. It arrived with one ball mount and I installed the 2nd ball mount from the old JK mount base for an additional short arm.

IMG_20191106_211825.jpg

IMG_20191106_211920.jpg

IMG_20191106_211957.jpg

IMG_20191106_212039.jpg

IMG_20191106_212138_edit.jpg

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,851 Posts
I have the double now but only becasue I added a tablet on another arm. My single looks just like yours, minus the giant hole yours created. Zero issues thus far with the double. I did add a rubber spacer between the mount and the dash to help isolate more vibrations on bumpy roads. That made a world of difference and something Id like 67D to look into adding. Certainly a lot more stout than the original.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the double now but only becasue I added a tablet on another arm. My single looks just like yours, minus the giant hole yours created. Zero issues thus far with the double. I did add a rubber spacer between the mount and the dash to help isolate more vibrations on bumpy roads. That made a world of difference and something Id like 67D to look into adding. Certainly a lot more stout than the original.
I'm about to pull the trigger on the 67 Designs mount for my JK, what sort of rubber spacer did you use? How does it work with the 3M tape? I was thinking of doing the same thing to help eliminate vibration. Eventually my daughter will end up with the JKU, and I want to set her up to use things like Waze without having a janky setup like just throwing the phone in the dash holder or hold it in her hand like I usually end up doing.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,851 Posts
I actually used a type of neoprene type material I had laying around. I cut it about 1/2 the size of the bottom, layed it across the 3M tape with the backing still installed, traced around it and cut out the inner section of 3M. This way I still had tape around the perimeter, but better cushion than the tape could provide.

The first gen with the single ball I didnt use 3M. I only used the neoprene material as a cushion. Improved pic and video quality from my phone a ton.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thinking about 67

View attachment 4184087

View attachment 4184089

Thanks to Pedro for great customer service @67 Designs. Anyone with the first generation of JK base mounts ought to consider upgrading to the newer double ball JK base mount.
I am thinking about getting a 67 double ball mount for my JKU too. After seeing the underside, I believe I would have to fill it it with epoxy resin and make it a solid piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts