Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, please sticky this thread, as you cannot find this information anywhere else.

The owner's manual for the JL states that there is a clutch interlock bypass when the vehicle is in 4L. The wording is exactly the same as the JK owner's manual. However, the operation in the JL is different than the JK. I have been told that Chrysler is working on revising the JL manual to accurately describe the process as a result of my case.

Here is the step-by-step process to the best of my knowledge:

1. The vehicle must be ON and in 4L
2. Stall the vehicle
3. A message should display on the dash describing how to restart the vehicle, but I will explain it here as well
4. Press foot on the brake, but NOT the clutch
5. Hold the Start/Stop button.
6. Release the brake once the starter begins to turn, but keep holding the button until the vehicle is started.

Note that the vehicle MUST be stalled in order to activate this feature.

Software vendors, please come up with a workaround for your programmers so that the vehicle does not have to be stalled prior to this feature being activated. Just a thought.

Edit: You only have about 20 seconds after the vehicle stalls to restart the vehicle. After that, it will not let you start the vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After playing with this feature for a little bit, I have learned that apparently, you only have about 20 seconds after the vehicle stalls to restart the vehicle. After that, it will not let you start the vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal.

I have added this info to the original post, but this is very disappointing. Someone needs to come up with a fix for this, as this once very useful feature is next to useless with all of these restrictions.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Wow, having to stall the vehicle for it to work is crazy.

Have you tried having it in 4L and while moving turn the engine off? Then see if the rest of the above procedure works. I can just turn the key off in my TJ to stop and crank to start moving again.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
After playing with this feature for a little bit, I have learned that apparently, you only have about 20 seconds after the vehicle stalls to restart the vehicle. After that, it will not let you start the vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal.
This defeats the whole purpose of using it to stop/start on steep hills...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried having it in 4L and while moving turn the engine off? Then see if the rest of the above procedure works. I can just turn the key off in my TJ to stop and crank to start moving again.

Just tried it per your suggestion. It doesn't work, I guess because the vehicle knows it didn't stall.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This defeats the whole purpose of using it to stop/start on steep hills...

Yes I agree, and I would go even farther as to say that it defeats the whole purpose of what the engineers intended. What I was told was that in a situation where you are driving over an obstacle and the vehicle stalls, this allows you to continue moving forward. However, if I am ever in that kind of situation, I am probably going to want to assess my surroundings to determine the best path forward before starting the vehicle again, and that will take well more than 20 seconds.

I am not happy about this at all. I still have a case open about this. Technically, the case is "resolved" because my original complaint is that the feature doesn't work, but it does. However, I am still going to express my concerns with the feature before officially having the case closed. I think the best bet is if one of the software vendors includes a fix in their programmers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turnbull, Thanks for the Clutch Bypass info. I wrote down the Instructions. I missed what this allows you do, or not do? Start the Engine without the Clutch depressed? In Gear or Out, or Both? Thx.

Currently if my jeep shuts off from the EES or ESS, I can push the ESS (in Neutral)with foot on Brake and NOT Clutch and it will restart! Is this Normal?

I Know this is a little off Thread, Both of the Push Buttons are Screwy. No need to answer this second Question. Thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turnbull, Thanks for the Clutch Bypass info. I wrote down the Instructions. I missed what this allows you do, or not do? Start the Engine without the Clutch depressed? In Gear or Out, or Both? Thx.

It allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal. This can be done in or out of gear, but if you are not in gear, it kind of defeats the purpose because once you start the engine, you will have to press the clutch pedal to shift it into gear.

Currently if my jeep shuts off from the EES or ESS, I can push the ESS (in Neutral)with foot on Brake and NOT Clutch and it will restart! Is this Normal?
Yes, this is normal. However, if the vehicle is shut off by ESS and you put it in gear (without depressing the clutch pedal), it will disable ESS for that cycle. The engine will stay off until you depress the clutch fully, so even hitting the ESS button will not restart the engine. You have to depress the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Interesting. I wondered about that.

I also wondered if the JL could be "push started" like prior vehicles with a manual transmission if the battery dies. Not sure how that would work with the button on the dash instead of a key.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Interesting. I wondered about that.

I also wondered if the JL could be "push started" like prior vehicles with a manual transmission if the battery dies. Not sure how that would work with the button on the dash instead of a key.
I remember hearing it is essentially the same as a key. Push the button for the "on" position to come up, then roll and pop. I think it works that way. I should try it though.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember hearing it is essentially the same as a key. Push the button for the "on" position to come up, then roll and pop. I think it works that way. I should try it though.

Yes, it works. It needs to be in the "Run" position. Theoretically, if the battery dies, you won't be able to get it into the "Run" position, but then again, if the battery is THAT dead, you probably would not be able to push start it anyway.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ok. How about explaining why you would ever want to do this. I have a manual JK and I see no reason to ever need to do this. There obviously must be a reason though. Can you share?

edit. watched a youtube video. It seems there no real practical use, other than if you're in deep water. Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
As far as why you'd ever want to do this:

I have no idea why you'd ever do it on-road. But if you're off-road it can be useful. Let's say you're climbing a steep hill in 4-low and your Jeep stalls. Well, as soon as you touch that clutch pedal you're going to roll backward. In that situation, rolling backward even 6 inches can be catastrophic. So, by using the starter motor to turn the engine with the clutch engaged, you can inch the vehicle forward without having to depress the clutch and risk a rollover.

As far as push starting the vehicle... the entire premise of doing that is when you've got a dead battery. A dead battery is a dead battery. That's why I asked if it could still be done on a JL. Obviously you can't put the push button start into "run" mode if the battery is dead.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea why you'd ever do it on-road.

I've actually had to do this on my TJ when the clutch went out. On the TJ, you could do this in 2H by swapping a fuse. I couldn't shift into first at a stop, so I would shut the engine off and start it in 1st. Being that the JL/JK are limited to 4L, you can't really use it on road, but it would still be useful if you could.

As far as push starting the vehicle... the entire premise of doing that is when you've got a dead battery. A dead battery is a dead battery. That's why I asked if it could still be done on a JL. Obviously you can't put the push button start into "run" mode if the battery is dead.

The question is can the battery be dead enough to where it cannot start the vehicle but alive enough to allow you to switch it to "Run" mode. I imagine that can happen as it doesn't take much charge to operate the ignition switch.

However, if the battery is so dead that you can't even switch it to "Run" mode, you probably would not be able to start the vehicle anyway, even if it had a traditional key. If the battery is completely drained, even push starting will not work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts