Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday, my dad and I were touching up the plastidip on the top of my Jeep. I took the back window off to paint around it and then put it back on. I saw no real risk in doing any of this, so I wasn't using any safety gear. As I was fastening the second bolt onto the window, it exploded. unfortunately, I was eye level with the glass.

I had a traumatic globe rupture that required a five hour emergency surgery. My vision in that eye will be at best 2040 according to the doctors. My dad was lucky to only have some minor cuts on his hands and chest. In hindsight, I was lucky that the injury didn't cost me my eye and that the glass only hit one eye, which is why i'm able to share my story right now. It definitely could have been much worse, but It could have been avoided with a pair of safety glasses.

I learned afterward that Jeep back windows have a tendency to shatter for no apparent reason. This usually isn't a huge safety issue while driving, but it definitely is if you're working on your Jeep.

So next time you work on your jeep, put on some safety glasses. It could save you a few days in the hospital.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow, glad it wasn’t worse that it is for you.
Safety glasses are the most important tool in your toolbox.
I got a sliver of metal in my eye saw zaw-ing off my lower control arm bolts when installing my lift kit.
It required an emergency room visit & a visit to the eye surgeon the same day. No where near as bad as what happened to you.
Things happen fast, and your vision is too important to loose.
I now wear safety sun glasses instead of regular ones just so I have them when I need them.

Rest and recover. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
Well 20/40 is a lot better then blind as it means you can make out letters at 20 feet that someone 20/20 can make out at 40 feet
(Twice the size letter) and good enough for a class three airman/pilot

The windows are most typically broken when someone confuses the inch pound hinge nut torque specs for foot pounds

It is safety glass so it is designed to break into small bits(shatter) rather then large shards that could pierce a lung heart or abdomen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I, for one, appreciate the reminder. I recently invested in a pair of prescription safety glasses. I'd found it too difficult to see what I was doing well with safety glasses over my regular ones, and I knew it was only a matter of time after an explosion in the manifold of my air compressor. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is a good reminder.

I wear regular glasses all the time, so I usually forget about it. However the times I needed them but had my regular glasses saved me more than a few pokes.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will heal better than they project.

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mr. Wednesday,

Thanks for the PSA. We all need a reminder now and then.
I was a body shop owner for the last 25 years of my career. I can't tell you how many times I've had to demand from my technicians that they use hearing protection, eye protection and heavy leather gloves or rubber gloves (depending on the task they were doing). How about getting under a car without jackstands? And, don't get me started on spraying primer or paint without a respirator.
"Young, dumb and full of stuff"..."It won't happen to me"

Back out one page and read the sticky "Lets talk about death for one minute" by RichL35.

We can pray that the docs are wrong and you regain your sight totally. We can further pray that your accident will spur others to wear proper protective gear.

God Bless and Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: jethro65

·
Registered
736 Posts
if you are putting glasses on for safety make sure they are marked
ANSI Z87.1
faulty glasses can do as much damage to an eye as a foreign object.
in cases that you are cutting or grinding metal you should be wearing a face shield in addition to Z.87.1 safety glasses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts