Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to throw a state park sticker on my windshield in haste over the weekend, and decided to go back and try to trim some of the excess opaque edges and remove them. Not only did i manage to gouge the window with some pretty deep scratches from the scoring, but the use of a straight blade to scrape up the residual glue did some serious damage to the glazing on the inside of the window. :banghead:

I've never had anything like that happen on any vehicle in the past, so be warned that if you need to remove anything from the inside of your window, take the chemical route first.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Look on the bright side jeep wrangler windshields generally get cracked quite fast so you will be most likely replacing it soon anyway. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Look on the bright side jeep wrangler windshields generally get cracked quite fast so you will be most likely replacing it soon anyway. :)
And don't forget the bugs. Bug guts will camouflage the worst of it until the replacement.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
And don't forget the bugs. Bug guts will camouflage the worst of it until the replacement.
It's a Jeep thing.

For "disposable" stickers I just need for a day or weekend or whatever, I just go the cheesey tape route and tape it on. Peel off the tape, and regular glue is easy to get off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had to throw a state park sticker on my windshield in haste over the weekend, and decided to go back and try to trim some of the excess opaque edges and remove them. Not only did i manage to gouge the window with some pretty deep scratches from the scoring, but the use of a straight blade to scrape up the residual glue did some serious damage to the glazing on the inside of the window. :banghead:

I've never had anything like that happen on any vehicle in the past, so be warned that if you need to remove anything from the inside of your window, take the chemical route first.
That's really strange. Do you have any pictures? I own a Auto Glass Company and we transfer state stickers off windshields every time. A simple straight razor held at 45 degrees making multiple passes.(picture the motion of sharpening a knife on a wet stone).
Windshields are laminated. The laminate sandwiched between two pieces of glass. Unless you have an aftermarket tint on the windshield, it should not cause any damage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I bought my Jeep, the dealer put the inspection sticker right over the little jeep crawling up the hill on the right side of windshield....when it is time for a new sticker, they better not scrape off the little Jeep...I am going to warn them ahead of time.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I scrape stickers off glass fairly often. I always try to use a soapy water like glass cleaner to help. It lubricates the blade and helps keep it from scratching. If you are afraid of the razor blade and what could go wrong with it, use a hair dryer to heat the sticker and peel it off.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
One of the tricks I learned from a painting guru is to run your flat blade in a circle on a piece of 600 grit or above before using it to lift stickers.

Rounding the "bottom" of the blade helps to keep it from trying to dig in.
Then just take even, smooth, slow, swipes at the sticker in increments.

Don't try to do the whole thing at once.

He also taught me to leave a little extra tape folded over when taping off handles, trim, etc. After painting it is so much easier to grab the piece of folded over tape like a flag, then gently pull off the whole thing in one smooth round.

Have I mentioned that the key is to be slow and deliberate?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I picked up some plastic razor blades on amazon, and they work great for glass and painted surfaces.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

My windshield came pre-scraped from the dealer- they had a bunch of promotional stickers on the inside of the glass (it was in the showroom- the last model available anywhere in the vicinity equipped like I was hoping and they were working every inch for every promotional penny). They removed them much like anyone would after the sale, but the OEM glass is pretty soft and easily marred as mentioned.

There are a few blade marks on the inside of the glass on my Jeep, and I will live with them as they aren't bad enough to obstruct vision...mostly noticeable when they catch the light on a bright day. For those with pristine glass looking to put a blade on it, use caution as wychwood has kindly pointed out. What they use in the Jeeps (and other FCA vehicles) today definitely isn't as tough as what was offered years ago. We use Dodge Caravans as work vehicles, and they installed double-sided tape to mount some USB "Rocket Stick" aircards for wireless network connection for vehicle-mounted laptops on the top of the inside of the windshield. When the maintenance department replaced those in favour of LTE modems a couple of years ago, scraping the tape with a razor blade hacked the glass up something fierce.

When I eventually take the dealer applied stickers off the rear glass, I'll use a plastic scraper, heat and some Goo-Gone to clean things up rather than sharp edge.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/basicxj/media/misc/IMG_5840_zps3jbx6ajs.jpg.html?o=0

(the reason I've left it as long as I have is because I get a chuckle out of it :redface:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's really strange. Do you have any pictures? I own a Auto Glass Company and we transfer state stickers off windshields every time. A simple straight razor held at 45 degrees making multiple passes.(picture the motion of sharpening a knife on a wet stone).
Windshields are laminated. The laminate sandwiched between two pieces of glass. Unless you have an aftermarket tint on the windshield, it should not cause any damage.
I will be sure to grab some pics later today. There are deep gashes in something (that appears to be an interior laminate) that are deep enough catch a fingernail, as well as what are less-obvious scrapes from using the blade on the glue. I'm almost certain there are more gouges that line up with the edges of the sticker that I cannot see.

As I said before, I've never had this happen, and my experience has been that vehicles have the design you mention, so I wouldn't have given my use of a razor a second thought. The truck is stock, no aftermarket tint or other treatments applied.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

There are deep gashes in something (that appears to be an interior laminate)
I was just going to say, "many new vehicles have laminates on the glass, but I'm not sure if the Wrangler does." I guess that answers the question. That sucks to hear yours is messed up. As mentioned, the front windshield gets knocked out fairly often, so it's only a matter of time.....unfortunately.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I will be sure to grab some pics later today. There are deep gashes in something (that appears to be an interior laminate) that are deep enough catch a fingernail, as well as what are less-obvious scrapes from using the blade on the glue. I'm almost certain there are more gouges that line up with the edges of the sticker that I cannot see.

As I said before, I've never had this happen, and my experience has been that vehicles have the design you mention, so I wouldn't have given my use of a razor a second thought. The truck is stock, no aftermarket tint or other treatments applied.
I did forget to mention one very important part. The blade must be new and very sharp. A dull blade with any nicks or imperfections can cause damage. Just like using a straight razor on your face. Must be clean, sharp and edge flat against surface.
I'll take a look at the photos and let you know if there is anything you can do. Worst case, JK windshields are $160 installed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did forget to mention one very important part. The blade must be new and very sharp. A dull blade with any nicks or imperfections can cause damage. Just like using a straight razor on your face. Must be clean, sharp and edge flat against surface.
I'll take a look at the photos and let you know if there is anything you can do. Worst case, JK windshields are $160 installed.
Literally a brand new blade from Lowe's in a 10 pack purchased specifically for this purpose. :(

I'm finding OEM glass is like $400 installed near me.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
are the oem windshields made from recycled glass or something? hen i got my wrangler, the windshield had so many dings and nicks in it that when the sun hits it just right, its impossible to see through it.

and now a razor blade is destroying them!? i cant believe there is not a recall on the glass as a safety hazard or something. no way should a razor blade damage glass!

i actually still need to replace my windshield due to said nicks, but i dont want the same thing to happen to it. anyone know if the aftermarket glass any tougher than the oem?

·
Registered
725 Posts
3M wax and adhesive remover. Awesome and safe of paint and glass. Been using it for years. Gets the toughest of adhesives off easily.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thats pretty high.

Aftermarket - $160

Mopar - $249

Mopar w/ Jeep Grill above Mirror - $299

Where are you finding these prices? Wife needs a new windshield and we're close to $500 for the OEM glass with the grill and little jeep in the corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Literally a brand new blade from Lowe's in a 10 pack purchased specifically for this purpose. :(

I'm finding OEM glass is like $400 installed near me.
A new blade will dig into most anything. You need to buff the bottom edge before using it to scrape.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts