Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing my research I decided to pull the plug on this. Running 2012 JKU. Reid Knuckles, flip drag link with RCV's on 37's. 5.13's. Teraflex 4". After the install had ABS and ESC. Replaced driver ABS sensor and cleared the ABS. ESC and codes indicate steering angle so I straightened the wheel. No go. Disconnected battery over nite. No go. ESC is on with 3 codes all steering angle. Cruise control is out but I am not getting any false braking. I emailed PSC but no response. The box performs well- just the ESC issue.

Any ideas? Maybe the pitman arm was installed off a spline or so? Just can't figure it out. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
413 Posts
Have you tried re-zeroing your steering wheel with a programmer? Seems like you should be able to get your steering wheel and tires straight and use something like a AEV Procal to tell the computer the steering is straight and that is zero etc. I haven't had to do this but I know it is a feature on the Procal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Flashcal but I haven't tried the AEV. Steering wheel is now straight and I cleared all the codes with the Flashcal but ESC problem remains and codes come back as soon as I drive. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Mine did not come with the red line on the housing, only on the shaft. Called PSC and the said should not be a problem if you don't turn the input shaft. It's installed and no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check for red lines - that is my theory that I am off just a bit but it would still seem that centering the wheel would resolve any issue with minor sector shaft alignment.

Clock Spring: yep, that is a definite possibility. Just hoping I could find an easier fix.

Maybe I need to call PSC - thought email would be easier route ... not

Sure appreciate everyone's input on this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know of a way to check the clock spring? I know its not a huge repair but it would be great to know its the problem before doing it.
Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not sure how to check the CS, just know if you secured the steering wheel, tied it down before disconnecting and re-connecting the shaft to and from the box, it should be fine. If it was left loose and the steering wheel spun, might be trouble.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a question one time about my clock spring possibly broken. He ask if it I could hear a clicking noise in the steering column when turning the wheel. When I said "no" he replied, "it's probably not broken" and as it turns out he was correct. So if that is a question in your case listen for a clicking noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No CS clicking and no air bag light. Wheel was secured during install and didn't spin (but it could have been off a spline or two)

Appreciate all your comments

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay Thanks for that. I didn't know the Splines were keyed so that eliminates that possibility. I had my local shop do the install and I watched but didn't notice the keyed spline. So my theory on being off is not valid. Guess it comes back to the clock spring.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I had the ESC light come on after new knuckles, RCV's, Gears, Brakes, Tires & Wheels on my 2012 JKU. We cleared everything, I even had the dealer re-flash the ECU and then re-programmed all the info with my ProCal. It still would come on and drove me nuts! My mechanic just happened be working on another JKU with a bad wheel speed sensor, decided to have me come by, checked mine and sure enough it was a bad one. So maybe check those, it can't hurt and it was an easy fix.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
if you suspected the pitman arm being off an easy way to tell would be put her up on stands. steering wheel straight. count turns to full lock to passenger. count turns to full lock to driver. should be the same. I have the hd box, did the install myself. Can't see how that install could cause your issues with the following exception. On my jeep I had to actually pull the spring on the driver side to access all the bolts. In order to do this, had to go to full droop which meant disconnecting the abs sensor. So your abs system was handled during the install likely. Check driver front. Make sure it's plugged back in properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Lisa and JusJim - sure appreciate your comments. So this is interesting. About a year ago I got ABS code/light and ended up replacing my speed sensor (driver side) and I always connected the speed sensor to only the ABS dash light.

After my PSC HD Steering box install (which was done by my shop) I had ABS and ESC so I again replaced the driver side speed sensor (cheap and easy) and, sure enough, the ABS light went out. But the ESC stayed on - which started this thread. But your experience now suggests that the speed sensor may actually affect the ESC light so now I need to go back and re-check the speed sensor (and maybe I got a bad one when I changed it). However, my codes are all steering angle and none of the normal "implausible" codes relating to speed sensor/ABS/.

ARGHHH. As soon as work allows I am back under the front end. Aint jeepn fun?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts