Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have 35's or 37's ? Dont have money for full blown hydro assist, Or have the skill to port/tap and weld?
PSC now makes a JK steering box on roids, and its under $900, not bad considering a new replacement box is 600-700. The steering box has a larger 80mm piston to increase turning power w/ no need for assist. The sector shaft and the pitman arm are beefy as hell.
Psc will have a ported version for 40's plus in the near future.

Box is in but i still have some things to do. Stay tuned :) ImageUploadedByAG Free1491167225.150154.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1491167241.515997.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1491167255.016789.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1491167265.286272.jpg

Check it out

Update, finished up today. Torqued track bar, filled with ATF4 and followed PSC's instructions for priming the system. I also had to shorten the drag link, not much maybe a full turn.
Absolutely no issues. Feel of the steering wheel in park is so easy to turn. A quick drive around the block was awesome .. turning is literally one finger and the front end feels more solid.
I still need to get it on the highway... stay tuned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,520 Posts
you so suck....very cool. seems like it could be a game changer for sure. have you put it in 4 lo and tried turning to see what a difference it will make?

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holly hell that pitman nut was a biatch to get to. All i has was a 18 and 24" adjustable crescent wrench. I believe the torque is upwards of 200. No idea what i was able to get.
Anyways, all i have left to do is fill with PS fluid, follow PSC's system to prime the system and look for leaks. Then adjust the drag link and done.

·
Commercial Member
7,023 Posts
Holly hell that pitman nut was a biatch to get to. All i has was a 18 and 24" adjustable crescent wrench. I believe the torque is upwards of 200. No idea what i was able to get.
Anyways, all i have left to do is fill with PS fluid, follow PSC's system to prime the system and look for leaks. Then adjust the drag link and done.

Really should be using a torque wrench on anything steering related....

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
I swear this site will have me broke sooner or later.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really should be using a torque wrench on anything steering related....

I dont know how it's possible. Even with a crowsfoot that big it is hard to find the space.
I used a 24" big ass crescent wrench. Slid under the jeep, put my feet up near the trans and pulled with 2 hands. Pretty sure torque is 180-200 and what i got... maybe more.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I just discovered some play in mine yesterday. Doing some research but it's going to be a choice between this and redneck ram assist. Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
9,578 Posts
Holly hell that pitman nut was a biatch to get to. All i has was a 18 and 24" adjustable crescent wrench. I believe the torque is upwards of 200. No idea what i was able to get. Anyways, all i have left to do is fill with PS fluid, follow PSC's system to prime the system and look for leaks. Then adjust the drag link and done. Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Socket with u joint and impact, wouldn't work?

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Test drive w/ new box. Initial feel of the steering wheel is loose. Like crap this doesnt feel right, or im just not used to it. On the road its fantastic.. i would say Mel's demo (although he runs 40's) is spot on. Literally one finger steering. Seems to soak up road imperfections too. I have to get ready for work, when i get a chance to get it on the highway i will update the thread.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1491407487.881989.jpg

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Test drive w/ new box. Initial feel of the steering wheel is loose. Like crap this doesnt feel right, or im just not used to it. On the road its fantastic.. i would say Mel's demo (although he runs 40's) is spot on. Literally one finger steering. Seems to soak up road imperfections too. I have to get ready for work, when i get a chance to get it on the highway i will update the thread.

View attachment 3534058

Loose doesn't sound good. That is why I haven't installed a hydro-assist, afraid the on-road manners would be terrible. Was hoping this gear box would solve that problem. Very interested in your further reviews of this and how it compares to the hydro-assist if you have experience with that. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Not loose what you are thinking .. easy to turn. It rides like its on rails. Steering is nice and tight.

Oh, got it. I was thinking loose in the sense that there is take-up or a "dead zone." I think what you mean is that the turning resistance has been decreased, which it what I would expect.

My steering is fine on-road with OEM gear box. My problem is off-road with my front Eaton e-locker engaged the steering wheel is hard to turn. Eventually I will probably blow up something.

·
Super Moderator
22,520 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sure hope it performs well since I just pulled the trigger on one yesterday. Hate the back order but oh well.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts