Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 2 door wrangler 6 speed. Tires are 255/75/17. It says on the tire max load 44 psi. Does that mean they should be at 44 psi? Asking because I have a long trip coming up

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
you have a 32" tire. i'd run those in the 35 psi range. 44 is way too stiff...

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
My 2013 Rubicon, still has the factory installed 255x75Rx17s on it.
The recommended PSI on my door for tire pressure is, 37 PSI cold. When your tires get hot from running on a long trip, as you have planed, then your tire pressure with hot tires, may increase by as much as 4-5 lbs..........:thumb:

Temperature plays a major factor in tire PSI. Also make sure that you have a accurate tire gauge, because they vary dramatically!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The max rating on the tire is just that, the max the tire is rated to hold. Not what you should run. Check the stiker in the door jam for what the mfg. suggest to run it at.
My problem is that the stock tires and rims for my model jeep are a lot smaller than the ones on it now. They guy who traded the jeep in I have now put different tires and rims. The ones I have on it now are 17 in rims, stock are 16. I have the stock ones at my house. So therefore, inside my door where it would read psi would not be accurate because these aren't stock tires.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Rule of thumb 35 psi is a good all around pressure for wrangler and hiway use this a cold inflation taken before the jeep has been driven like 1st thing in the morning after parked over night. Can be adjusted up or down a couple of PSI if you notice handling or wear problems

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
Yep, you are correct, on the 16s, verses the 17s, because the door recommended, would not be accurate!!!!!!

I would call my local Discount Tire store. Give them the brand and type of tire, and size, and tell them that they are on a wrangler. They then have a equation that they use, (it includes Brand/type of tire, size of tire, and vehicle weight).
They then will give you the correct recommended PSI cold, applicable for your tires............:thumb:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My problem is that the stock tires and rims for my model jeep are a lot smaller than the ones on it now. They guy who traded the jeep in I have now put different tires and rims. The ones I have on it now are 17 in rims, stock are 16. I have the stock ones at my house. So therefore, inside my door where it would read psi would not be accurate because these aren't stock tires.
That actually matters far less than you'd think. It's probably still within 3 psi or so.

Start with the number on the sticker, then draw a line of chalk across the tread of the tire (and a little bit up the side). Roll the Jeep over that line a couple of times to get to rub off on the ground, then see how the chalk line looks. If the wear pattern matches what it should be, you're good. If it's worn in the middle but not near the edges of the tread, let some air out and retest. If it's worn up the sidewall, add some air and retest.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I run my 255/75x17 tires at 35 psi

·
Registered
974 Posts
If the tires are stock, check the sticker on the driver's door..All the spec's for everything is there....Should be like 35psi for the 255/75/17's..Check out the sticker....Don't go by what's on the rubber, that's just a Max rating for the Mfg. tire.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So my setup rides pretty well. I do have a little trailing of cracks and road crap with my 325/65-18's. I'm currently running 38-40 PSI but sounds like I should bring it down a bit. I do believe that it's too high but when I air down to 35 a week later I'm at 40 again. Should I chalk and start at 40 and let out while figuring out the best psi? I find it interesting that my rears become slippery when it rains...thought duratracs were supposed to be good in the rain.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Chalk test does not account for load range and can significantly under predict safe air pressure. Low air pressure will can cause much more tire damage than uneven tire wear.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
A lot of points and some confusing info...maybe this will help.
The chalk test is a good start for MOST Jeeps.
If you have stiff sidewalls like an "E" rated tire the chalk test doesn't work as well.
Depending on your RIM size and tire size and even the after market parts added "which change the weight of the Jeep" we can only give you a best guess.

There is a very wide range of the "right" TP for Wranglers.

For example my TJ on 33" x 12.50" x 15"s with 10.5" Cragar soft 8's performs and rides the best on the street at about 26-28psi...off road I can go down to about 10-12psi.

My JK and JKU are both still on the factory tires but I run them right at 32psi...I asked the dealer to make sure it wouldn't set off the tire pressure sensors....IDK if they had to change it or not...ride is good no wandering and "decent" mpg....some people prefer a "stiffer" ride and some want to air down. You do have a large range of what is acceptable tire pressure..... pretty much from 26psi-35psi...this is a guide line to get you close. The 44psi IMO is gonna be grat for mpg but very rough ride and probably wandering on the road....GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My new '14 jkus with 255/75-17 GY SR-A's was delivered with 36psi. That pressure was too squirrely for me. I prefer 32-33 psi.
15k miles and 3 rotations later, they are wearing well - even tread all the way across.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts