Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: I'm not quite sure when this started happening cause' I've been blasting the sound system in my JK since day one. Anyways, seems like at the beginning of the day when I first drive the Jeep down the road I can here this sound:

Pufff...Puff...........PUFF, PUFF.......puff............PUFF, PUFF!!........

Best way I can describe it in a literal sense is it sounds like when a guy is pressing the air brakes in an 18 wheeler. It's not really loud like an actual 18 wheeler but noticeable without the stereo on. Over time it eventually goes away. But it seems to happen every time when the vehicle is cold. Anybody ever experience this?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
My TJ makes a noise that sounds like it's probably similar, but only with the heat on, so I always just assumed it was heater related..... :confused: It doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's done it for a year.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My 05 ram did that. It is most likely an a/c leak. If you had it on defrost or floor it would cycle the a/c to dry the air and whenever the compressor kicked on and it came up to full pressure it would make the hissing sound. It should do it at regular intervals you can time. You should be able to hear the compressor kick off and then hear the hiss if that is what is going on.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My 05 ram did that. It is most likely an a/c leak. If you had it on defrost or floor it would cycle the a/c to dry the air and whenever the compressor kicked on and it came up to full pressure it would make the hissing sound. It should do it at regular intervals you can time. You should be able to hear the compressor kick off and then hear the hiss if that is what is going on.
This is likely your culprit.
Mine does this (99 w/ 4.0 ). When you hear the 'puffing', listen for the RPM changes as the A/C kicks in.
I've heard this noise in several brands of vehicles, and it's never been a concern to me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If it stops then chances are it is going to be ok for a bit. They say in a lot of manuals to run your a/c often to keep the system lubricated. Our cold dry weather up here eats a/c systems for lunch. If you notice it not going away after some use you will probably also notice diminished cooling from the a/c. Trying to keep the hot hot and the cold cold in Alaska is a constant battle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My TJ makes a noise that sounds like it's probably similar, but only with the heat on, so I always just assumed it was heater related..... :confused: It doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's done it for a year.

It's possible. I believe it did happen after having turned the heat on one cold morning. But it only seems to happen when I first crank up the Jeep after it's been sitting all night. But when I crank it up later in the day, like after work, it doesn't make that noise.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I've experienced the hissing sound in other cars but not in my JK. Whatever kind of release of air pressure that's going on in my JK it's happening in short puffs not long hisses. It may well be an A/C leak, though. I rarely, rarely use the A/C.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is likely your culprit.
Mine does this (99 w/ 4.0 ). When you hear the 'puffing', listen for the RPM changes as the A/C kicks in.
I've heard this noise in several brands of vehicles, and it's never been a concern to me.
Next time it happens I'm going to watch the RPM gauge. If the RPM's surge slightly while the puffing is happening, then it's probably just how chrysler compressors function. Damn. I've never owned an American vehicle let alone a Chrysler. But as we all know they treat the Jeep product differently from the rest of their fleet. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally!! I'm sitting at a red light with the radio off and all of a sudden I hear PuuuuuuuFF puff. Has something to do with the heater-- I guess it's a Chrysler thing.

I've never owned an American car in my life and here I am at 38 years old driving a Chrysler. No foreign car I've owned has made a sound like that. The sounds that came from my Acuras' AC and heater were barely noticeable breathing, Darth Vader-like sounds.

Don't get me wrong--I love the hell out of my Jeep. Those putt putt POOF sounds remind me more of something breaking down rather than the normal function. On the other hand, my JK makes all these other cool electronic sounds. when you first turn the ignition off there's this jet engine winding down sound. Sometimes, when I'm turning, there's this android-like sound like when C-3PO moves his arm or his leg. Oh, and there's the obvious sounds that damn ESP makes--sounds like rough, uneven metal grinding. My tie rod was off by--like--a couple centimeters and you would have thought the whole front end was going to fall apart right there in the middle of the street. One simple front end alignment job and it drove like I just got it from the dealership.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Just goes to show you that your Jeep is a living breathing thing.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's probably the poor overworked hamster on his wheel inside the engine. He's out of breath!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts